I need a Bogner Helios

bikerdude2

So someone buy my McNaught. Thank You! Seriously, considering one of these. Is it as chewy as it sounds? And as important. Does it feel like a XTC under the fingers?

They are chewy, but very different in sound and feel from the XTC’s and any other Bogner really except for the Telos. The XTC is a lot darker, smoother, more compressed, more gain, polished/not raw. The Helios sounds and feel more like a modded Marshall. More raw, organic, growly, aggressive, upper midrangey, for my taste a much better amp, but completely different flavor also. I’d still take a good stock ‘70’s JMP2203 with boost over the Helios and would also cost less money. Haven’t felt any of the Bogners are really worth it honestly. Just my 2 cents

To answer what I think you’re asking about how it feels under the fingers like the XTC, it won’t be quite like the XTC in that regard. The XTC will feel more liquidy and effortless for leads since it’s more compressed and higher gain with that greasy feel it has. 2 different animals imo

Last edited:
I currently have a Atma, and want to add something Marshally with that Bogner thing and clips seem to sound killer!
The Helios and Telos are definitely the most Marshally stuff they make. If I was blindfolded I’d never guess those 2 were Bogners based on sound. I think one of the best amps for what you’re describing would be a Naylor if you can find one. I often describe them as being for me like a better version of what Bogners or Friedman’s go for. They’re also dark and chewy, but still very raw, aggressive, organic and cutting, at least my early Michigan made one is like that. One of my top 5 favorite amps I’ve had

The lack of practical switching on the standard Helios is horrible. I’d look at the eclipse version. Aside from that, the Helios is just another jose flavored Marshall variant and fall short if expecting the signature Bogner tone

I currently have a Atma, and want to add something Marshally with that Bogner thing and clips seem to sound killer!
I think the Atma, and the Duende for that matter are two of the best amps Bogner ever built. My Helios 50 was awesome until I got the Wizard MC25. Helios was sold immediately. My Atma and the MC25 got along just fine for a couple years.... then last September I took a leap of longtime Bogner owner faith and sold the Atma to buy a Bogner 3534. I couldn't be happier, I love that 3534. Not sure what the answer for you is. The Helios was a badass one trick pony (well it has a couple tricks but they're not easily accessible) but overall I like the 3534 much better. Another option would be a Bogner Blue or LaGrange pedal into any stock Marshall head......

Id take a early 70`s marshall over the helios any day. Bogners have that german low mid aka engl hughes kettner etc gets old to me.
I would too, but the Helios and Telos don’t have that low mid thing. They sound like Marshall’s and more upper middy, but more expensive than a ‘70’s JMP and not any better sounding. If anything worse sounding, but still great and organic for a non-vintage amp

I love the Helios 100. Great amp. I have had all three versions as well as every other Bogner known to man. The Helios 100 is a killer amp. Not perfect but great at what it does. The low gain input in clean and hit with pedals is amazing . I buy and sell amps all the time and have a hard time parting with 9 or 10 of them and that's one.

For those that have compared them, what about the Goldfinger SL?
I’ve only tried a regular Goldfinger and wasn’t that impressed. Much prefer a Helios. The Bogner amp and pedals as a whole don’t impress me. Their amps tend to sound polished and like they’re holding back. Was at least nice to see the Helios and Telos break away from that trend and sound more raw and organic. They should make more amps of that quality

I’ve only tried a regular Goldfinger and wasn’t that impressed. Much prefer a Helios. The Bogner amp and pedals as a whole don’t impress me. Their amps tend to sound polished and like they’re holding back. Was at least nice to see the Helios and Telos break away from that trend and sound more raw and organic. They should make more amps of that quality
Thanks. I've read that the Goldfinger SL is much more like the Helios (or at least can be dialed in that way). I agree on the typical Bogner flavor, too smooth and polished (or focused) for me.

If you already have a flavor of Bogner and you like that low mid thing that Bogner imparts but still want a little Marshall then the Helios seems to be a solid pick. If you a looking for a more open less compressed high gain Marshall two channel amp with one of the best clean channels then I would look into a Landry G3, it can do traditional Marshall plexi modded plexi 800 and modded 800 and has a great loop according to owners. I'm not sure if Landry is still building his amp with NOS Mustard caps but he was for awhile I guess as long as his supply was there.

Either way the G3 Landry catches my ear more than most amps out there and they are priced pretty decent for what they offer.

I had a Landry many years ago. Amazing the shit I’ve owned that was killer but sent down the road due to gas or not fitting into the band at the time. I’m def a Bogner fanboy, but everyone’s comments have given me lots to think about and research. Thanks all! Appreciate Ya’s!

Have a Helios 50, PT100SE and Landry LS100G3. All 3 are killer amps, but the Helios is by far my fave. I've also had a couple XTC's in the past and struggled with getting them to sound more open.

As far as the channel switching limitations, it's a very easy mod that costs all of $20 to be able to channel switch between the Plex clean and Hot gain. Best of both worlds!

Back