I need tips on finding bad soldering joints. *Warhead X2 schematics fo

MitchSchaft

*edit*
Look here for complete schematics and update: http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=192826#192826
*/edit*

Ok, I'm finally going to try and fix my Randall X2. The yellow, 'Treble' LEDs will randomly flicker out of nowhere. That causes the sound to cut in and out with the flicker.
As far as I know, you check OHMage through soldered joints, correct?

Let me know of any tips, I can't seem to find the issue. Check out this pic.

Attachments

• DSC03071.JPG
    DSC03071.JPG
    452.8 KB · Views: 11,099
Look for solder that spreads accross tracks, areas with more solder than others, burn marks around the joint. I *think* if the solder doesnt have much shine to it, it is a sign its a bad joint. But someone else will clear that up

>|<>QBB<
MitchSchaft":ddc43 said:
Ok, I'm finally going to try and fix my Randall X2. The yellow, 'Treble' LEDs will randomly flicker out of nowhere. That causes the sound to cut in and out with the flicker.
As far as I know, you check OHMage through soldered joints, correct?

Let me know of any tips, I can't seem to find the issue. Check out this pic.

Man I wish I could help you, cold solder joints suck hard. I had that problem with an amp I used to own.....

Alright, I'll look out for that, too.
Also, it is not possible to track down schematics. Randall has nothing to say, Google is a no go, and I've asked a few amp techs here.

I'm no expert, but the resistor at the top of the page also looks pretty bad. I believe that anytime the solder is clumped like that then the joint was not hot enough and is possibly bad, but I could be wrong.

>|<>QBB<
ratter":eeebd said:
Just looking at the pic, and even not being a tech, R65 looks very suspect.
+1

Also, the one near the top of the pic going across....

Color or shine isn't a ood indicator of a good joint.

Best bet would be to start at the LED's, and, check for anything that is loose.

>|<>QBB<
MitchSchaft":264f6 said:
:bump:

where did all my amp techs go?

Did you have any luck?

If not, then it might be smething where you reflow the joints - but, then you have to worry about burning a component.

Nah, no luck. My knowledge is minimal when it comes to figuring that stuff out.

But, thanks to juggernaut, the public finally has X2 schematics!
Here they are along with a midi doc and pdf manual. I'll attach it here for the world to find.

Attachments

• X2 - Ti Main.pdf
    35.3 KB · Views: 1,682
  • X2 - Ti Power.pdf
    39.9 KB · Views: 1,451
  • X2 Preamp.jpg
    X2 Preamp.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 11,683
  • X2 Disp.jpg
    X2 Disp.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 11,199
  • X2 Rear PCB.jpg
    X2 Rear PCB.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 11,326
  • X2 MIDI guide.doc
    50 KB · Views: 982
  • Warhead X2 - Manual.pdf
    361.8 KB · Views: 2,295
Hey Mitch, if it comes down to it, I'm going to try to track down my local amp tech here in Memphis next week to see about a 5150 problem I have. I'll PM you his contact info once I get a hold of him.

Nice. I've been thinking about that, but don't know anyone to call. I'm curious how much it would cost to have him troubleshoot it. I'm sure he'd appreciate schematics at the very least :D.

To me that sounds as if the powersupply of the H11F1s (switching) - where the indicator LEDs are also hooked to - has a problem. Could be also caused by a H11F1 itself. Check them first, Mitch.
Those H11s are optocouplers btw . . .

:|::QBB:
JerryP":3abe5 said:
The schematic doesn't appear to be complete. I don't see an EQ section.
Jerry

I wouldn't know. There are some more in 2 of those PDF's above, too. I would think it would be in the preamp section jpg.

Thanks for that suggestion, Dr. Olaf! I will check the optocoupler :thumbsup:.

MitchSchaft":41849 said:

I wouldn't know. There are some more in 2 of those PDF's above, too. I would think it would be in the preamp section jpg.

Thanks for that suggestion, Dr. Olaf! I will check the optocoupler :thumbsup:.

Nope, I'm not seeing it and it appears that's where your problem is.
Jerry

Back