I suck with a metronome

phillybhatesme

It's insanely frustrating and I know I just need to practice more, but I'm venting. I've been playing for 25 years, but no one ever told me to stfu and use a metronome before. I feel like an idiot.

I'm trying to record some music and I've gone between "it's the software that's my limitation; it can't change time sigs for me," to "I'll just adjust the tempo mid song" to, "it's not the song that's changing tempos, it's me."

Back to the fuckin basics, I suppose.

1676928402564.gif

It's insanely frustrating and I know I just need to practice more, but I'm venting. I've been playing for 25 years, but no one ever told me to stfu and use a metronome before. I feel like an idiot.

I'm trying to record some music and I've gone between "it's the software that's my limitation; it can't change time sigs for me," to "I'll just adjust the tempo mid song" to, "it's not the song that's changing tempos, it's me."

Just like having a click track when you used to record in the studio

Sit down, and tap your foot to the tempo of the metronome. Then began playing, keep your foot tapping.

Keep practicing like this, you'll get it.

I’d rather practice with various backing tracks. Click tracks and metronomes are annoying. I wonder how many of our hero’s sat down with a metronome? Practicing with out some kind of beat too often can definitely work against you though. Playing to actual music I can work on many things at once. Including timing. There’s so many great easily accessible tracks out there too. Just my opinions.

Metronome bah, tuner same...
Jeff Beck, Keith Richards, Jimmy Page, Paul Westerberg, etc... Live play is/was generally sloppy so why bother.
Down another few oz of Kessler's and rock out!

Jeff Beck, Keith Richards, Jimmy Page, Paul Westerberg, etc... Live play is/was generally sloppy so why bother.
I bet you those guys were spot on in the studio.

You need to know how to keep in time if you are going to record.

I bet you those guys were spot on in the studio.

You need to know how to keep in time if you are going to record.
What blows my mind is how locked in some bands were w/o click tracks 👍

Reactions: Geo
What blows my mind is how locked in some bands were w/o click tracks 👍
I've read some stuff from Wyman and Woodie regarding how difficult it was playing live w/ Keef...especially after he's got a pint (or more) of JD down the hatch

Reactions: Geo

We've all been there Brother... And if you haven't been there yet, you need to get a fkn metronome.

Just keep at it. Keep. At. It.

Ohhh, I have not kept at it. Nope. Not one single bit. I play every day but haven’t used a metronome since making this thread - maybe once lol.

Back