I suck with a metronome

All you can do is practice, practice and practice. Start using really low tempo like 60bpm and work your way up in steps of 5. I know a lot will probably comment that's too low to start with, but that's a first hand recommendation from Guthrie Govan himself. Like he said: it's harder keeping a steady low tempo than a higher one.

All you can do is practice, practice and practice. Start using really low tempo like 60bpm and work your way up in steps of 5. I know a lot will probably comment that's too low to start with, but that's a first hand recommendation from Guthrie Govan himself. Like he said: it's harder keeping a steady low tempo than a higher one.
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
Agreed. It doesn't take all that long either if you practice throughout the day. E.g., I live in LA so during rush hour when I'm crawling along at 10mph I'll have the metronome running at a slow pace while I try to click my tongue or snap my fingers in time. A few days of this made a huge difference, and resulted in being able to almost hit exactly on top of the beat so that you can't hear the metronome click. Need to start doing it again though since it's not perfect yet.

This problem is way more common for people who don't listen to music with diverse types of drum beats.

I would suggest practicing some styles out of your comfort zone on rhythm, ska for example, that accentuate very different parts of the rhythm

That way you develop a bit of muscle memory for where the 1-and-2-and-3-and-4s are in different rhythms.

This problem is way more common for people who don't listen to music with diverse types of drum beats.

I would suggest practicing some styles out of your comfort zone on rhythm, ska for example, that accentuate very different parts of the rhythm

That way you develop a bit of muscle memory for where the 1-and-2-and-3-and-4s are in different rhythms.
This is basically the approach I'm taking, but from the more general (bland?) standpoint of choosing a subdivision scheme (say, eighth notes), then systematically going through the bar and and training the ability to hit (or not hit) each individual subdivision. Or I will be, right now I'm wrapping up the ability to switch between subdivision schemes (so going from quarter note triplets to sixteenth notes, for example).

I’m not perfect either, but I’m gonna give you the best advice in this entire thread, and that you’ve ever heard in your entire life.

If you’re a man, it applies if you’re a woman, then you can laugh

Men are visual

Record in a daw. Zoom in on what you are actively recording.

Play something simple with both the metronome and a simple drum beat

Visually watch where you are early or late on the meter

Change the meter to set up eighth notes or quarter notes

Learn the association between your performance and your eyeballs. Play it back and Analyze it if you have to.

Do that for a month and you’re going to be 10 times better than you currently are

Because again, men are visual Neanderthals, 🤙🏽

Agreed. If you want to learn to count music and thus keep good time, you need to listen to music with diverse rhythms.

Ohhh, I have not kept at it. Nope. Not one single bit. I play every day but haven’t used a metronome since making this thread - maybe once lol.
Hope you’re giving it a try! At the very least, play along to songs and program a metronome to be in sync with the song that’s playing? Could help!

Back