I think something might be wrong with one of my Splawn cabs.

War_in_D

Since I got the whole noise/hum issue worked out on the new setup. I've been doing some playing, at pretty good volume and checking out different heads with different cabs. The Splawn slant cab with Creambacks, sounds great. The Marshall cab with 75/76 Blackbacks, sounds AMAZING. But, the Splawn straight cab with Eminence Governor and Man O' Wars just doesn't sound right. Very bright, and fizzy compared to the other ones. Is this normal for that speaker combo?

That doesn't seem right to me. I had a Man O War once and I don't remember it being like that. Now, if these speakers are still pretty new I would say that is the culprit. I am assuming you get the same result no matter which amp head? Can you read the resistance of the cab in ohms?

Last edited:
That doesn't seem right to me. I had a Man O War once and I don't remember it being like that. Now, if these speakers are still pretty new I would say that is the culprit. I am assuming you get the same result no matter which amp head? Can you read the resistance of the cab in ohms?

I bought the cab used, so I don't know how much time are on the speakers but I'd have to think that they should be somewhat broken in by now. The cab is an 06', so I would hope that it's been played enough.

However, good call on checking the ohms. Cab says it's a 16 Ohm, but it's only showing impedence similar to what an 8 ohm cab would be (about 6.7-6.8 ohms). Looks like I'm going to need to open it up and investigate. I wonder if someone changed the speakers that were in it, or if they wired it up to run stereo with the two input jacks in the back.

Popped the input jack out to see if I could tell what ohm speakers it has in it, and it would appear to be 8 ohm's.. :thumbsdown:

Which sucks because my whole shelving system was built on these three cabs being 16 ohm cabs. On the other hand, there is some kind of writing at the bottom of the cab, so my curiosity has been piqued. I'm going to have to open the back up and see what all that is about.

8 Ohm Governor.JPG

Splawn Cab writing.JPG

Opened up the cab, and I'm thinking this is a factory screw up. What's written on the bottom of the cab, looks to me like the work order. Everything matches up except the ohm reading.

IMG_20220109_211953862.jpg

Here is a pic of a splawn cab i used to own a few years ago. Same speaker combo and same writing in cab! I guess it's Scott's or someone working for him.

Attachments

• 20180314_105637.jpg
    20180314_105637.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 64
So, assuming that I'm going to be replacing these Eminence 8 ohms with something in the 16 ohm range. What suggestions do you have for replacements? Currently, I've got one Splawn cab with Creambacks in it, and a Marshall JCM800 cab with a a mix of 1975-1976 25 watt Blackbacks. The Creamback/Blackback cabs sound similar, with the Creamback cab having a bit more "edge" to it. So, I'm looking for something for something with a different voice.

I would get 20 watt greenbacks. I just got a cab with them and they are the best i have ever heard.
Or go small blocks.

Reactions: PDC
I would get 20 watt greenbacks. I just got a cab with them and they are the best i have ever heard.
Or go small blocks.

The small blocks had crossed my mind. I saw them on the Splawn site, still for sale. I might reach out to Scott and see if he still has them.

On the 20 watter GB's.. would they sound that much different than the 25 watter BB's or the Creambacks?

I greenbacks sound very different to crealbacks. Creambacks don't break up as much. Greenbacks got more bite. The 20 watters sounds more organic woody mids compared to 25 watters.
I have had all of them honestly and the 20 watters are my fave.

Popped the input jack out to see if I could tell what ohm speakers it has in it, and it would appear to be 8 ohm's.. :thumbsdown:

Which sucks because my whole shelving system was built on these three cabs being 16 ohm cabs. On the other hand, there is some kind of writing at the bottom of the cab, so my curiosity has been piqued. I'm going to have to open the back up and see what all that is about.

View attachment 103125

View attachment 103128

Wow. That's a trip. Definitely call Scott. Also, if you want more speaker suggestions, I would ask in the main forum. I have not tried Greenbacks believe it or not but I'm sure Brian is spot on and they are obviously very popular. That would make an 80 watt cab. Just sayin.

Small blocks are similar to greenback. They go very well with splawn. That's why Scott sold them for long time at beginning. Not sure if he still offers them?

Scumback M75's
I have 25 watt smallblocks, Greenbacks (UK) and have had Creamback M-65's
the Scumbacks blow them all away, greenback tone with more clarity and higher watt options
I prefer lower wattage speaker. M75 is a creamback with different name on it in my opinion. But if we all liked the same thing ......there would be only one speaker company right!?😁😳

you can get the M75 as a 25 watter and to my ears sounds nothing like a Creamback. I hated the Creamback M-65's I had when I first got my SuperSport.
Greatly preferred the Greenbacks . The Smallblocks also sound really good but were a bit dark when I used them at gigs..
At home they kick ass and if I stop gigging will probably put them back in my Splawn 2X12 as they are good lower volume speakers as well. the Scumbacks sound better with a little volume and more "open" at gig volume, at least to my ears and my bandmates.

Here's a comparison between a greenie and creamie. The green has more snarl and bite with nice woody mids. Both sound good though.

Here's one compared to m55 which i prefer over m75. I just seem to prefer with lower watt speakers.

Here's a comparison between a greenie and creamie. The green has more snarl and bite with nice woody mids. Both sound good though.

That is pretty much what I'm experiencing between my Creamback cab vs. the Blackback Cab (basically a 25 watt GB, just different colored plastic). The CB is just a little more "edgey" and brighter sounding.

Here's one compared to m55 which i prefer over m75. I just seem to prefer with lower watt speakers.

As far as this comparison goes.. There is no comparison, the GB kills that Scumback IMHO. But, where are you going to find a quad of Pre-Rola GB's without dropping some serious coinage.. LOL

Back