I want a non account and non ink subscription color printer with USB or ethernet connectivity

harddriver

It's been over ten years since I replaced a printer, my old HP all in one is still working fine actually. I had no idea that HP is trying to force customers into making an HP account, making the printer stay on the internet, and join the instant ink subscription. Now publicly HP states all that I mentioned is optional I did some research and found alot of people saying they will never buy HP again. I purchased a USB 2.0/wi/fi HP 7955E all in one color inkjet like my old one and since HP says all you have to do is download the offline softaware/drivers and not make an HP account, say no to the instant ink subscription and install new replacement NON INSTANT INK cartridges that the printer shipped with and the printer will connect directly from the computer to the printer instead sending all print jobs to the cloud, again all the HP support says HP+ accounts and Instant INK is all optional even though I read that all the E series printers seem to be preconfigured for no opting out even though they say the opposite with pissed customers. I just need to print and scan things ocassionally so I really don't need all this bullshit...........

I read up on other pissed people on the HP support threads and Redditt threads and watched a few YT vids from 2022 showing how to opt out during the driver software download using what they call offline software/driver instead of using the cell phone prompted software/driver download since this is going to my PC only. So I downloaded the offline software/drivers for the printer fine and then installed the NON INSTANT INK new HP ink cartridges in the printer. All the software and driver went through fine but my software download didn't seem to have the opt out sections that the YT video had where you say NO to data harvesting and NO to instant ink. So once the software and drivers loaded my printer then showed a message "YOU must install the Instant INK cartidges that the printer shipped with even though I haev brand new NON Instant Ink cartdridges installed which HP says is fine. So what should have taken 20-30 minutes tops took all afternoon trying to get this printer to work simply. Even people that joined instant INK unknowlingly said once they decided to unenroll HP locked their printer and they ended up wallking away buying either a Brother or Canon printer which isn't forcing these subscriptions. I may give HP one shot at making this printer functional but I have already boxed it back up for a return. I'm not RENTING a printer from HP, nope not gonna do it nor sending all my prinst or scans to the cloud with a monthly subscription.

So what are you computer savy guys using for your home printers with USB connectivity if possible.

THX!

I had a look and the software downloaded the HP smart app into my files which I did not consent to and I didn't sign up for with an account. I called HP support and gave them the Serial Number of the printer and it seems they want me to have an HP account to even talk to a tech rep just to see if this printer will even work the way I want so I can just box the thing up and return it instead of wasting time.

I found alot of IT people posting about pissed of customers as well from the demand for HP accounts for the printer to work.

I have implemented all the workarounds listed online on the HP support forums and so far NADA. It shouldn't be this difficult to get a printer to work in 2024.....................compared to 2013, "download drivers... printer works" DONE!.....jeeeeeessssshhhhhhhhhhhhh....

This tells me these companies are getting desperate. It’s all about capturing revenue. I have a 20+ year old laserjet. If it fails I’ll look for another on eBay.

This tells me these companies are getting desperate. It’s all about capturing revenue. I have a 20+ year old laserjet. If it fails I’ll look for another on eBay.
Yes, trapped into paying is the new normal. They are never satisfied with the amounts they are squeezing out of customers.
I have a Canon inkjet but sadly, a HP desktop. I’ve had to go through extra crap with that setup but haven’t hit a wall yet.

What pisses me off is that HP keeps lying repeating that it is all optional but their driver downloads did not allow me to obviously opt out and I knew what I was looking for as I payed extra attention to each section. Alot of Redditt posters have all been saying buy Brother printers but low an behold what do I find in description section of a Brother printer I wanted to buy............

So for $399.00 the printer must remain connected to the internet and an account and an ink cartridges subscription all for printer hardware that I own but they still will control functions of the machine via control of the software and they are trying to force you to agree with it to even make the purchase. Where are the class action lawsuits????????????????????????????????? This is akin to purchasing your car and you cannot use the air conditioning unless you subscribe to your monthly AC payment for that function to work. They also have no business routing peoples print/scan jobs through the cloud which they state they are doing which is data harvesting at best or surveillance.

Sure sounds like the WEF model of you will rent everything and own nothing.

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/3799346/Brother-MFC-L3720CDW-Wireless-Digital-Color/

DISCLAIMERS: (1) Based on one-sided printing. Change from default setting required. (2) Color and monochrome scan speed with all advanced features turned off, Letter at 300dpi. (3) Requires an Internet connection and an account with desired service. (4) Based on monthly subscription cost in U.S. for Color Laser High Plan vs. average cost per page of eligible like standard capacity cartridges. Savings will vary based on Refresh EZ Print Subscription plan selected. (5) Requires enrollment in a monthly billed Brother Refresh EZ Print Subscription service plan based on monthly printed page allotments. Unused pages roll over, limitations apply. Additional page set charges and taxes apply during trial. Plan, options offer, and pricing subject to change. Open to new subscribers located in the contiguous United States only. After the free trial period your credit card will be charged on a monthly basis for the Plan Fee, Overages, and Taxes in accordance with the Terms of Service. Overage fees will apply during free trial. Your service will continue on a month-to-month basis until you cancel it. May be canceled at any time. Upon cancellation, cartridge will be deactivated and must be replaced at users’ expense in order to continue printing. (6) Requires connection to a wireless network. (7) Maximum capacity based on using 20 lb. paper. (8) Free app download and wireless connection required. Compatibility may vary based on device and operating system.

Last edited:
I have a Canon all-in-one; works great, no need to register or create an account or have an ink subscription. I buy my ink from amazon.

This looks like a newer, cheaper model, on amazon for $199, Canon TS9521C

I have a TS8220 since 2019, don't remember it costing this much; I actually paid $99 on amazon for it back then; now they want almost $400! wow

I have a Canon all-in-one; works great, no need to register or create an account or have an ink subscription. I buy my ink from amazon.

This looks like a newer, cheaper model, on amazon for $199, Canon TS9521C

I have a TS8220 since 2019, don't remember it costing this much; I actually paid $99 on amazon for it back then; now they want almost $400! wow
I'm looking into the TS9521C now, so far it looks like it has USB connectivity but there is alot of ambiguous language about requirements and such just like Brother and HP stated requirements I am about fed up already! The last update on the Canon website confirming the USB connectivity was 2019.

Alot of bullshit has transpired since 2019. Had I known I would have bought a couple extra printers that had the CD with the drivers software on it. What a bunch of bullshit to have to go through to get a FOOOOOKING USB printer.

Last edited:
Reactions: rsm

Canon PIXMA TR4720 All-in-One Wireless Printer for Home use, with Auto Document Feeder, Mobile Printing and Built-in Fax, Black​

$79.99

Only wireless?

looks like the ink subscription is optional; and ink is available on amazon too.

First off... I returned the HP printer to where I bought it, explained why I was returning it and they fully understood and refunded my money no hassles. I looked at the Brother and Epson printers and all of those were requiring accounts, internet connections and cloud based printing and now most of the Canon Pixma's are saying similar things on the boxes. I mean even $400.00+ dollar printers are requiring fulltime internet connections for software updates, how many updates does a company need to run a printer??????? This a a total scam......hopefully the class action lawsuits are lining up.

So I picked up a Canon MF3010 Image class Laser printer that is well built all in one that was USB only with a CD Rom disc to download the drivers it was on sale for $69 bucks so I said fook it and picked it up, the only drawback is that it is black and white only. Guess what?..... the drivers downloaded in about 5 minutes and the printer works perfect prints great with no cloud printing bullshit and I own the drivers and there is no interface with Canon controlling my printers software. I already printed some schematics I have been wanting to print works great! They had a color MG2522 USB connectivity but it was really really junky.

At least I can print what I want now until I can find something color that I want.

I'm thinking about a good Lexmark business all in one color printer from a business supply/computer shop see what's available, all the businesses I go to are running Lexmark and I used to have one and it was a good printer. I doubt businesses with network printers aren't going for the home ink program bullshit, required internet connection, they are all using USB or ethernet.

Anyway thanks for all the information and suggestions I appreciate it!:2thumbsup:

Last edited:
I bought one off Amazon for $20

HP DeskJet 2734e Wireless Color All-in-One Printer

Caught one of those "flash sales".

Fuck HP. I bought a brother laser MFP printer and 2 toner cartridges for $200 and it's been working for 3 years. But it's not color. Fuck ink. Ink = SCAM!
The ink costs more than the fucking printer. F that. No info needed by brother. Even for the app, which works awesome on mac.

I bought one off Amazon for $20

HP DeskJet 2734e Wireless Color All-in-One Printer

Caught one of those "flash sales".
If it's an E suffix printer then it probably will require HP+ account, Instant ink subscription. I downloaded the offline software package which was supposed to avoid the Instant Ink and HP+ account and that was straight from the HP support agents, they keep repeating it's all optional but the my offline software/drivers did not have any opt out language during the download process and then the printer locked up demanding the Instant Ink cartridges be re-installed after I spent an additional $75.00 getting new standard replacement HP cartridges because the printers recognize the ID chip in the cartridges.

Hopefully yours will work without all the HP+ and ink subscription I tried all the workarounds out there and even called HP support and because I did not have an HP account they would not take my call. So I boxed it up and sent it back.

Fuck HP. I bought a brother laser MFP printer and 2 toner cartridges for $200 and it's been working for 3 years. But it's not color. Fuck ink. Ink = SCAM!
The ink costs more than the fucking printer. F that. No info needed by brother. Even for the app, which works awesome on mac.
Alot of people as late as 2022-2023 were saying Brother and Canon were the go to printers to stay clear of the bullshit but I am sad to say I don't think it's the case now. They will lie and say's it all optional but the software will download what they want. It's just downright Orwellian.

Unfortunately Brother, Lexmark, and now Canon is all doing the exact same thing judging from what I read on their boxes and websites in 2024. At least that's what the disclaimers say on all their boxes now. So you buy a hardware printer, but now the printer extorts money from you every month to keep it going. All of them say oh, you can opt out and alot of people did cancel their HP Instant INK and they many say they could not get their printer to function again after that even after doing the exact steps HP support said to do, just like I did.

They want control over your printer software and charge you monthly to own their printers. Like I said there has to be a civil lawsuit in the works on this.

Nope.

None of that.

Works fine !
These are all shipping with INSTANT INK cartridges in them in 2023/2024 and the printer won't work unless you join instant INK and have an HP account how did you get around that?

Even if you are allowed to opt out during the software download the Instant Ink cartridges will no longer work in that printer and they you must reconfigure the printer to accept regular HP ink carrtidges supposedly but my printer stayed locked up.

These are all shipping with INSTANT INK cartridges in them in 2023/2024 and the printer won't work unless you join instant INK and have an HP account how did you get around that?

Even if you are allowed to opt out during the software download the Instant Ink cartridges will no longer work in that printer and they you must reconfigure the printer to accept regular HP ink carrtidges supposedly but my printer stayed locked up.
None of that with this fucker off teh Amazon.

(y)

Back