ICNGD - Ordered the Nick Johnston

napalmdeath

So I ordered the "Atomic Ink" black HSS with the roasted maple neck & fingerboard. Got 15% off a new one, and if I don't like the humbucker, I've got a Zebra Duncan SH-5 I can throw in it!

These things just get rave reviews. I wanted something "Stratty", but better knob layout, and not MIM Fender. If all the reviews hold true, should be a killer guitar. For $679, what the hell?

Last edited:
I played one and loved it. Was looking for a used one for a while and sort of forgot about them. Definitely an amazing bang for the buck strat. Let us know what you think when you get it.

That knob placement is what I would need on a strat. The volume knob placement on a regular strat gets in my way. Looks good! I probably need to get over whatever stigma it is I have with Schecter guitars. Many of them have specs that work for me but I have never really spent any time with one.

Nice, I've been interested in this guitar. Where did you get the 15% off from?
Gear Tree on Reverb. I messaged them with some questions, (bought from them before), and they replied with a 15% off offer. I was like, hell yeah. I almost bought a used one for just a couple bucks less. This one's new, with warranty. I figured if I didn't like it, I could get close to what I paid for it.

That knob placement is what I would need on a strat. The volume knob placement on a regular strat gets in my way. Looks good! I probably need to get over whatever stigma it is I have with Schecter guitars. Many of them have specs that work for me but I have never really spent any time with one.
Schecters have really gone back to their roots of late with more traditional guitars. Yeah, they were "metal" guitars for years, and that was their label.. They still make them, yes, but they have some classy stuff too, and everything gets set up in California, and they take a lot of pride in their guitars.

This one has great knob placement. Reason #1 I hate Fenders. That and their MIM stuff, (including Jackson, Charvel & EVH), is too hit/miss for me. My experiences buying new have been mostly miss. I'll take a Schecter over Fender any day.

I got this one..
TradNJHSSAI-xlarge.jpg

can't wait to hear your thoughts on it, this one has had my interest for a while. looks to be insane bang for the buck

can't wait to hear your thoughts on it, this one has had my interest for a while. looks to be insane bang for the buck
I think I'm going to upgrade the pickups across the board, regardless. I think I'll pick up a couple YJM Fury single coils, and already have an F-Spaced Duncan Custom.

Looks like it should be a workhorse of a strat, congrats.
If it plays well, I'll certainly spring for upgrades. The stock pickups are G&B made Korean garbage. I've yanked many out of PRS S2's. Can't see these being any different.

Last edited:
If it plays well, I'll certainly spring for upgrades. The stock pickups are G&B made Korean garbage. I've yanked many out of PRS S2's. Can see these being any different.
Lots of great pickup options out there. For the single coils, I really love fender texas specials or duncan alnico II pros. I have had great success, for my needs, with motor city Afwayu in the bridge. A big Beefy alnico 5 bridge pickup seems to go well with a bolt neck and a trem...

Lots of great pickup options out there. For the single coils, I really love fender texas specials or duncan alnico II pros. I have had great success, for my needs, with motor city Afwayu in the bridge. A big Beefy alnico 5 bridge pickup seems to go well with a bolt neck and a trem...
I like Texas Specials too, actually. That's a great suggestion. I already have a Duncan F-spaced Zebra SH-5 Custom, which is really my favorite do it all humbucker.. Thought about the YJM Fury single coils, but I think I like the Texas Special idea better. Keep the single coils vintage flavored.

All this Schecter talk….reminds me that I have an 83 HH super strat waiting for me when I get home….original Van Nuys neck and body. Natural 38 yr old relic job..white with matching hs. GC find.

Congrats OP! Looks like a sweet axe.

Back