Idea for Bruce

stratotone

Bruce - ever considered selling kits for the egnater or randall modules? I'm betting there are just a few different configs - like one with the tonestack early for fender styles, later for marshall, etc... I'd love to be able to buy an unloaded PCB and tweak instructions for making my own 'custom' modules. I don't see why it would be much different than the guys selling pedal kits. Even if you didn't sell kits like this, People would pay for a guide to modding existing modules - stuff like 'C4 is the coupling cap between stages one and two, and this value will cut bass, this value will allow more' etc.

Or how about a Randall/Eggy module seminar where we end up with a self-modded module or two? Would also be easier for those of us flying out there to carry back than an entire head.

Pete

Excellent idea!

As a seminar item too, I would think it would allow flying closer to circuits that might be potentially litigious otherwise.

Regardless I see in pro-audio a lot of people making the PCB's and selling them out to folks doing their own DIY assemblies. The modular head would be a great platform for a similar cult to develop.

AWESOME idea!!!!!!

I could REALLY get into building and tweaking my own modules!!!!!

This is a GREAT idea Bruce :thumbsup:

Hey Bruce, are you listening?

:D

This is a GREAT idea.

also the Randall > 2channel module mod DIY, i'd be interested in too :thumbsup:

I’d really be into this idea as well! I started building BYOC effects this year and I’m addicted! I’ve replaced nearly all my old Boss effects with BYOC. Recently I’ve started doing work on my Marshall; replaced some caps and a few burnt resistors, upgraded the OT and PT to Mercury Magnetics and added a choke.

I’m hoping next year I can find the time to check out one of the amp building seminars as this is the next thing I’d like to get into.

As far as building modules, that would be about the coolest thing that could happen right now as I’ve just gotten a MOD50!

Although I doubt Bruce would want a bunch of hacks out there building modules and trying to sell them on ebay… I suppose he could take the same approach as Keith at BYOC and allow it as long as the name was not used.

I just can’t see it happening though, it’s not like effects that have already been copied and recopied from schematics readily available on the internet.
Oh well… we can dream!

We have had a great discussion about the options with the DIY modules and classes of modifing existing modules and you making your own module. I will keep everyone posted!

:|::QBB:
tubesteakfortone":fa7a5 said:
We have had a great discussion about the options with the DIY modules and classes of modifing existing modules and you making your own module. I will keep everyone posted!

Very cool! You rock Jeff!

Pete

I've often thought this was inevitable. In fact, before I bought my first RM4 I was thinking it would be a nobrainer that people would start modding these things.

While I can understand warranty/legal issues with "company approved" mods, I think it would add to the overall popularity and success of the platform.

Regardless, I have 8 mts modules and have had four of them modded with great results. It certainly would be fun to learn enough to feel confident to experiment on my own.

Back