If you love guitar you must love this song

Techdeth

RESIDENT ROCK PROFESSOR
Don’t ignore it . It’s catchy and the Jason Richardson solo is great .

It’s so melodic

Reactions: rsm
What’s wrong with it ? It’s literally dudes jamming .
Personally I find the hook irritating, and while I'd have to listen a couple more times to be sure, the song doesn't seem to have a cohesive narrative with the possible exception of the guest solo.

Saw Polyphia here last fall. Great show and playing.

IMG_0362.JPG

The drummer has serious skills but was a damn nuisance. His pants probably don't even have a pocket. It makes everything, which was already super busy even more busy, which ultimately was distracting and irritating. And the first portion the guitar sounded like a dude who wanted to be Mark Knopfler trying to use in between strat sound on a metal tone. That was bad. After that it was like a bad version of Lari Basilio which I guess was a little better, sort of. It was like metal music without any heaviness, just a full frontal assault of a bunch of angry fem bees in a empty beer can chucked into my face. The collective improvisation feel sucks in the metal genre, just my opinion. Massive technique on all fronts with absolutely zero taste and those outfits reflect it. Go play that shit in your practice space.

It sounds nerdy AF. It also sounds like the approach was, “let’s recycle some John Petrucci style melodies but instead of using JP’s heavy tones, let’s make our instruments sound as wimpy as possible”.

It sounds nerdy AF. It also sounds like the approach was, “let’s recycle some John Petrucci style melodies but instead of using JP’s heavy tones, let’s make our instruments sound as wimpy as possible”.

Yeah, it reminded me of Petrucci's "Happy Song", but with all the joy sucked out.

That was a lot of notes laid on top of each other.

All the licks in the one song would be better spread across four or five songs each with a much more simple hook or two.

I don't have anything against Polyphia or this style (good is good), but I didn't hear a single musical idea in that song that was memorable or evocative. It just sounded like they're trying to show what they can do as players without really caring about the composition

Back