If you were to own one firearm...

>|<>QBB<
Marshall Freak":8a72c said:
>|<>QBB<

If you're wanting something that your wife can use, neither of those are a bad choice. We can all argue which is "better" but neither is "bad".

If you get the shot gun you might consider the 20 guage. My wife has shot deer with her 260 Rem, she's shot my glock 19 (which I got for her to use) and my glock 22, as well as several of my other guns. She doesn't like my 12 guages though, because of the kick.

In a defense scenario you/she won't feel the kick, but she'll need to shoot it before hand (hopefully you'll be able to get her to go with you a few times a year and practice with it) and if she's scared of the kick, it won't be much good to her in a defense situation. Much like deer hunting, a 243 is a much better deer gun than a 30-06, if the person shooting the gun is scared of the recoil of the 30-06. Getting used to a gun kicking is something that must gun nuts will work on getting used to, but if your wife is already leary of a gun like you've mentioned, she won't take the effort to get used to it.

All I'm saying is that you can have the undisputed best self defense gun in the world, but if your wife is scared of shooting it, it won't do her any good, you really need to pick a gun she'll be comfortable with.

I have to agree with this post a 20 guage for the reasons of kick. If it scares her when she practices it will scare her to use it.

As far as a the glock. The 9mm will be easy to shot, but the 9mm will be one of the more likely rounds to risk over penatration. I would suggest hollow points or other rounds that reduce that risk if you stick with the handgun. Make sure they are reliable to fire from your gun. The glocks are not that picky with rounds so you should be fine. Also a .357 or .38 would reduce the over penatration risk and not be killer with recoil. You could get a couple of speed loaders to cut you reloading time down, if thats a worry. If you go with the glock a .40 or .45 will have less over penatration risk as well, but more of a kick. I would look at your local shooting ranges. Some ranges that sell handguns have guns you can rent to use on their range. This way you can pick a gun that she is comfortable with. Also the two stage trigger on glocks will take some getting used to. My wife never spent the time to try she was more comfortable with other hand guns.

>|<>QBB<
kannibul":4289b said:
>|<>QBB<

I've wondered about those reduced recoil rounds...

I've also wondered about fragible rounds...

The tactical rounds are excellent. I initially bought a box of each brand available: Winchester Ranger, Remington RR, Hornady, Seller, and a few others that I can't remember at the moment. I tracked my results through my weapon from 5 yards, 10 yards, and 15 yards. The Rangers gave me consistent patterns at POA. The Hornadys were excellent as well. My wife liked all the tactical rounds because they didn't tear her shoulder off after discharge. Now she doesn't even flinch when putting multiple rounds down range and can reacquire her aim point almost immediately after firing. FWIW, most police forces use tac rounds for the same reason....less recoil, ease of shot reacquisition, and same knockdown power for close range engagements.

Personally, I wouldn't mess with the frag rounds. 00 buck is a known manstopper.

>|<>QBB<
strungup":748da said:
>|<>QBB<

I have to agree with this post a 20 guage for the reasons of kick. If it scares her when she practices it will scare her to use it.

As far as a the glock. The 9mm will be easy to shot, but the 9mm will be one of the more likely rounds to risk over penatration. I would suggest hollow points or other rounds that reduce that risk if you stick with the handgun. Make sure they are reliable to fire from your gun. The glocks are not that picky with rounds so you should be fine. Also a .357 or .38 would reduce the over penatration risk and not be killer with recoil. You could get a couple of speed loaders to cut you reloading time down, if thats a worry. If you go with the glock a .40 or .45 will have less over penatration risk as well, but more of a kick. I would look at your local shooting ranges. Some ranges that sell handguns have guns you can rent to use on their range. This way you can pick a gun that she is comfortable with. Also the two stage trigger on glocks will take some getting used to. My wife never spent the time to try she was more comfortable with other hand guns.

Have you tried hydrashok's? they're supposed to be less prone to over penetration than others.

My thoughts are that with a 9mm or a 12ga w/ 00 buck - I'll have about the same problem with over-penetration.

That said, I'm not really worried about over penetration with the way the house is laid out.

Outside the house, the terrain and where my neighbors houses are (and thier distances) are where I would think it'd be an acceptable level of risk given where I'd likely be shooting from.

>|<>QBB<
CharFace":0e53f said:
I'd take the handgun anyday for home defense. Glock 19 is a great choice, too (esp. if you have a concealed permit :wink: ).

Any love for the wheel guns? I have a .357 revolver at close reach for home defense... My wife has a concealed permit as well, and is quite handy with firearms, but I like the point and shoot attributes of a revolver for home security at 3:00 am, half-asleep and hungover...

I dig revolvers. I don't know why. I have a .357 too. I keep mine loaded with "safety bullets" that fit in a handgun but spread like a shotgun for close quarters and minimizing structural damage to your home and almost eleiminate the potential for stray bullets.

I agree a shotgun is the best home defense weapon.
But if you are a sharpshooter, with a lot of training, nothing will beat a high caliber bullet between the eyes...
My bed gun is a Glock 26 40 cal or H&K USP Compact 40.
But for the same reasons as Code said, if you don't know how to use it accurately in a split second, a shotgun is your best bet for the safety of others...
Steve

>|<>QBB<
kannibul":13341 said:
>|<>QBB<

Have you tried hydrashok's? they're supposed to be less prone to over penetration than others.

My thoughts are that with a 9mm or a 12ga w/ 00 buck - I'll have about the same problem with over-penetration.

That said, I'm not really worried about over penetration with the way the house is laid out.

Outside the house, the terrain and where my neighbors houses are (and thier distances) are where I would think it'd be an acceptable level of risk given where I'd likely be shooting from.

Yes I have tried hydrashok's for that reason and they fired fine from my gun. Honestly I never worried about over penatration from a neighbor standpoint because my house wasn't that close. I worried more about wife or kids in another room or the other side of the person. One thing that was strange with my wife. She could shoot a single action 45 better than most double action handguns. It wasn't the recoil as much as the trigger that threw her off. She had a lot of rifle experience, before getting a handgun. That why if you can rent a few guns first it might be your best bet. That is what we did. We ended up getting a .38 for my wife.

>|<>QBB<
kannibul":bf520 said:
Would you choose a GLOCK 19, or a Remington 870 Express Synthetic 18.

Primarily, it'd be for home defense, but with a woman in the house, the glock might be a better choice?

I'm leaning more towards the glock at the moment...

I'd go with a Glock. I have a 22.

>|<>QBB<
kannibul":2b0b9 said:
Would you choose a GLOCK 19, or a Remington 870 Express Synthetic 18.

Primarily, it'd be for home defense, but with a woman in the house, the glock might be a better choice?

I'm leaning more towards the glock at the moment...

Fuck that. Give me a 357 Magnum anyday. Or 870 Remington 12 gauge loaded with slugs. Boom, you're dead.

Idea: Put a big manikin replica thing of Chuck Norris at all the potential entrances to your house. Then, if anyone gets in, they'll just turn around and run, and sure as hell never come back.

Another idea: Go with the combination CD player/radio and alarm clock model. Have the alarm set off a massive PA system that starts blasting "43% Burnt" by The Dillinger Escape Plan, and also lights up a bunch of gas powered candles/fire places/stoves or whatever all over the place.

You could also do the same thing with "Plagues" by Converge, and make it spew Ebola all over the place.

Or it could play every single song by The Locust all at once and unleash a swarm of locusts.

The only real answer to this question is that you should have both a shotgun and handgun. My personal choices are 45acp (have 2), an 870 and a mossberg 500 with pistol grip. My wife has two s&w 469's that she is fairly competent with.

About five years ago my wife and I lived in an appartment where there was beginning to be a lot of crime i.e. home invasions etc. I was working very late (welcome to IT) and apparently several men (maybe two or three she wasn't sure) started looking in the window and banging on the walls and doors. She could hear them talking about their intentions of breaking in, so although she was scared she immediately called her foster father (he was a cop and lived close by) and retrieved her 469 and cycled a bullet in the chamber. The men outside definately heard the slide cycling and promptly left the area. By the time her father arrived they were gone. He was quite surprised to see her pistol as he had no idea that she knew how to handle a firearm. We moved out of the apartment shortly after this incident but I still wonder what would have happened if she had been unarmed.

I tried to convince her that she should have grabbed the tricked out mossberg, but she likes the 469 because she has practiced with it. The best choice is the one your confortable with.

>|<>QBB<
-=MYK=-":4613b said:
>|<>QBB<

I know. I'm just going insane.

We don't get any option in California. We don't even get to think anymore. We're gay liberals from birth.

Lol someone is trying to make spanking kids illegal in California now. :retard:

Id go with the shotgun for home defense, hands down. even though a pistol can do the trick. I have a Winchester 1300 defender, 8 shot, but similar the the Rem.

My favorite pistol or gun of ANY sort though is a 6.5" S&W .357 magnum.

I don't know the first thing about guns, but I've always really liked the way the Beretta M93R looked;

stti_m93_sm.jpg

gg-ksc-m93r-c.jpg

Ok, now that I have the gun "on order"

(www.galleryofguns.com) - what ammo?

Low-recoil will be an asset, I've been reading #1 buckshot is the best overall, with 00 being another highly ranked option, though#1 isn't available w/ low recoil.

What about target / skeet-skeet rounds?

:LOL: 00-Buck sure aint low recoil! :) just get some good ol general use birdshot from a good reputable brand.

Ill explain:
Itll have a smaller FLASH shooting out the front of the barrel (less blinding to operator in low-light).

Less recoil = better control & less fear for a woman.

The stopping power is usually way over what youd need!! Try it by going out & shooting some objects... Youll see huge holes appear... ;)

That said, also geta little 00-buck just to try out, its FUN!! But you might get a bruised shoulder, & warn your wife that she might end up on her butt.. :D

Edit: this might also depend on what & where youre shootin. If its bear, well id go 00Buck for sure. If its just unwelcome in-home visitors, yeah, id go the lighter load... ;)

i still have my Mac 11 i know an auto spits out too much lead
but with a shotgun
ill give you the choice head or gut :mrgreen:

Back