If you've owned 5152/6505+ AND 5153 heads... Come in!

I have owned and sold several 5150/6505 amps and I disagree with most posting here. I love the 50 watt 5153 for Metal. The Peaveys always seemed more brittle and fuzzy in the end. The smooth and thickness of the EVH is killer: I hope to acquire another 50 in the future

mchn13":30c48z2m said:
guitarbilly74":30c48z2m said:
mchn13":30c48z2m said:
I’ve owned the block, sig, II, and now the Evh 50 watt and I greatly prefer it for metal. I use a little unusual settings I guess, but it’s much clearer, and I can get to about 4 on the master for live use, where I couldn’t on the 120 watters.
Plus it’s small, fits in my rack, midi, switchable loop, and doesn’t need a boost. May be the minority, but it was an improvement across the board for me. The big differences for me dialing it in was the presence had to be low, and the gain super low for my liking. Where the peaveys I could run the presence high, and the gain on 5 or 6.
Is this a custom rack or just a regular rack case? Any pics? I've been really wanting to rack mine up...

Nah just a regular 12u rack. I just sat it in the bottom with the power amp in the top of the rack, split via a chorus pedal, and run to three cabs W/D/W.
3D979530-DBE6-437B-A2A2-9E0223F873CB by steve moore, on Flickr

F92CA6A5-CDC0-4D17-94D8-4A60D42AF64F by steve moore, on Flickr

Stupid simple, but I can run it mono/split, stereo, or wdw. No phase or polarity issues.

That's awesome!!! There seems to be a gap between the rails and the side of the case? Is that a shockmount rack?

I was thinking of getting a custom head/rack case but if I can fit it into rack like yours that would be much easier and cheaper :)

After talking to Peter at Eurotubes, I think I am going to give something a try that I never thought of.

Being that I am looking for a more present midrange more than anything else, I am going to toss some new tubes in the amp including a quad of KT66s. I am hoping this will get me more of what I am looking for. If not, I will probably re list this thing for sale. It's worth a try at least.

KT66s are great sounding tubes! I almost always prefer them over 6L6s and use them in several amps, but I don't own a 5152 or 5153.

ChurchHill":slsraea7 said:
KT66s are great sounding tubes! I almost always prefer them over 6L6s and use them in several amps, but I don't own a 5152 or 5153.

I use to play tube games with my 5152 and 6505s, but only for the clean side of the amp. Never really experimented with changing power tubes. I am hoping the information Peter shared with me regarding the KT66s will turn this thing into what I want it to be. If I can just get it to cut more like a 6505 or 5152 I will be happy because overall I love the amp, just lacks a couple little things but I can also gripe about the 6505/5152s in some aspects too so it will never be 100% perfect.

Phil Jacques":39zhfw4q said:
ChurchHill":39zhfw4q said:

I use to play tube games with my 5152 and 6505s, but only for the clean side of the amp. Never really experimented with changing power tubes. I am hoping the information Peter shared with me regarding the KT66s will turn this thing into what I want it to be. If I can just get it to cut more like a 6505 or 5152 I will be happy because overall I love the amp, just lacks a couple little things but I can also gripe about the 6505/5152s in some aspects too so it will never be 100% perfect.

The only thing I thought was missing was the mid honk that the peaveys have. That gave them a very aggressive grind and cut. Personally; I like the thinner tighter nature of the III’s, and the eq works better for me. A lot clearer, and I don’t have to use a boost or as much gain to get the job done.
In the case you like the mids better for cut, of the peaveys, I would put an eq in the loop, and experiment bumping the 7-900hz a couple decibels, and see what does it.

Never thought of that... What's a good quality EQ out there today? The MXR? Would like something with a smaller footprint.

rottingcorpse":b40h0q5n said:
I have mailmans fja modded 6505. I also had a first gen 5153. Kept the modded 6505.
Damn. I forgot about that amp.
Fucker was a monster for sure.
Thick as a brick. Yet defined.

Mailman1971":3izx0j3y said:
rottingcorpse":3izx0j3y said:
I have mailmans fja modded 6505. I also had a first gen 5153. Kept the modded 6505.
Damn. I forgot about that amp.
Fucker was a monster for sure.
Thick as a brick. Yet defined.

I had one very briefly, but at the time I was struggling financially so I dumped it off local and kept my original 5150II I had for 10+ years. Wish I had done it the other way around. Now both are gone and I miss that tone so much!

I'd almost ALMOST be tempted to do an even trade for a 6505+ or 5152 in mint shape with someone if they tossed the offer at me. That's how much I miss that Peavey tone...

Back