I'm getting tired of the hassle that goes into my Floyd Rose...

MesaBeno

I've been thinking...I'd like to try a few things, if possible, that's why I've come here, to see if I can do it.

Firstly, i have an Agile 7 string Interceptor. Is it possible to replace the Floyd with some sort of 7-string wilkinson trem (if there is such a thing)? As well, I'd like to be able to get rid of the locking nut, so I'd need some locking tuners right? Would that work similarly to the MMJP in terms of staying in tune well and not being a hassle to work with?

Ben

i do like the benefit of the trem tho, I just think that the trem on the JP Music Man is one of the best out there and I'd like to try to find something similar.

Trem on the MM JP won't stay in tune as well as a good floyd when it comes to extreme abuse. There's nothing you can do to "save" that guitar" so-to-speak. Sell it and buy something with a Wilky trem or buy a MM JP that you want.

Tremel-no?
Rockinger Blackbox?
Tremsetter?

If you set one of these up right, they would allow your floyd to be more like the trem i think you want.

The tremel-no allows you to block the trem, have it in free-float or downbend only. It also give the advantage that you can "block" the trem when you are changing strings, which would remove some of that hassle. Its a lot cheaper than a new guitar, or a Wilkinson trem, so i would look into that first.

I guess my biggest issue with the Floyd Rose is the locking nut...would I be able to get rid of them if I put in some good locking tuners even if I left the Floyd trem as is?

Some people have floyd roses with normal, graphite nuts and locking tuners. You can't convert your guitar to that setup though.

Probably takes an extra 5 seconds to lock it down vs a non-locking nut. Those 5 seconds are hard work after all. :p

Id like to add, that i had some locking tuners (Gotohs i think - came on a guitar) and they were a bigger pain in the ass than a locking nut!

Didnt the Kahler trems come with a quick release string clamp? Maybe the poster could swap his nut out :LOL:

well for starters, the reason I'm looking to get rid of the locking nut is b/c the licensed floyd I have is a POS...the screws for the nut are all worn down and I can barely tighten them down enough to hold down the string...As well 2 of the things you twist you release the strings are also warn down to a point where I can't even change my low B and E strings.

Code001":28fdf said:
http://www.floydrose.com/7string.html

+1 this and the LoPro-Edge-7/Edge-Pro-7 are the only 7 string trems worth shit, IMO.

An unlocked floyd nut is horrible for tuning stability, it's near constant friction. Even with locking tuners. That nut has to go if you're not locking it.

If you don't like the trem, I would sell the guitar and get a Schecter hardtail.

Back