I'm noticing something about the Uberschall.............

scoobydoo

When I feed it a buffered signal, whether from a boss pedal, head switcher or stand-along buffer, there is a lot more clarity, attack and definition to the sound. I have to roll off my 500k tone knob down to about 4.5 to get it to match the rolloff that occurs when I just plug straight in. Please discuss..............

evidence audio lyric hg straight in, or hg into buffer - out 1 foot monorail into amp. So I'm not relieving a great deal of capacitance there. And it still does it independently whether or not I run high quality cable or not. I think I read something somewhere that there are stacked capacitors in the input/preamp circuit that choke off the high end. Maybe feeding the buffered signal works around that. Any tech people out there who can explain what's going on?

I'm aware of that, but simply by the fact that you have converted your high impedance signal to a low impedance one to drive one foot of wire, would it make that much of a difference?!?This does not happen on my Shiva or Three Ecstasys...........only on the Uberschall. There was a thread pertaining to how the Uberschall became a bit more open and top end-y by removing a certain capacitor. I am trying to find out if this by-product of tonal change is due to the preamp design of the Uberschall? And if it is, are there any capacitors that can be put on a toggle/bypass switch to engage it or disable it?

scoobydoo":39dxhwe0 said:
I'm aware of that, but simply by the fact that you have converted your high impedance signal to a low impedance one to drive one foot of wire, would it make that much of a difference?!?This does not happen on my Shiva or Three Ecstasys...........only on the Uberschall. There was a thread pertaining to how the Uberschall became a bit more open and top end-y by removing a certain capacitor. I am trying to find out if this by-product of tonal change is due to the preamp design of the Uberschall? And if it is, are there any capacitors that can be put on a toggle/bypass switch to engage it or disable it?

hmmm cant comment on that, do you have a thread link?

Low impedance sources interact differently with the input of the amp than high impedance sources. It changes the -3dB point when considering the filter it makes with the Miller capacitance of the tube. If you're curious, Guitar Amplifier Preamps by Richard Kuehnel goes pretty in depth about how things before the input of the amp affect how it works.

Back