Interesting and New Kemper Profiler Player

Just saw it too. Very interesting, and costs less than half of the full size Profiler. Would be a good choice if you don’t plan to do any profiling of your own.

Would have been great if it could profile up to 5 amps but hey, I'll take it. For those of you who have experience with Kemper, do you feel it is as good / or better than an amp with impulses? I guess it all depends whether or not you want amps you can never afford. I'd want to grab a bunch of great sounding Superleads, Majors, some Vox etc..

What intrigues me is often back to back, Kemper is SO close. I feel a bit better than when I make my own impulses and A/B the real mic to the impulse. I'd love this as a recording option seeing as it might be a while before I can record cranked amps.

i'll buy it. love my stage, but i use outboard effects for everything anyway. this makes it super convenient to put on a board. I rarely use more than 2 patches a night, usually some variant of a verge-of-breakup bassman or deluxe and a hot rodded plexi. throw that on my board and go!

I love the Kemper. It is very profile specific. Imo, it bests modeling in many ways but it can be challenging to find te right profiles.

Man this is a cool idea and really smart to compete with tonex, the new two notes thingy.

Personally I like models more than profiles. I was debating on getting another kemper but instead I got an fm3. I don't have any complaints but I could have coupled this with the H90 I had ar the time and been pretty happy. Interested about the liquid profiling though.

Would have been great if it could profile up to 5 amps but hey, I'll take it. For those of you who have experience with Kemper, do you feel it is as good / or better than an amp with impulses? I guess it all depends whether or not you want amps you can never afford. I'd want to grab a bunch of great sounding Superleads, Majors, some Vox etc..

What intrigues me is often back to back, Kemper is SO close. I feel a bit better than when I make my own impulses and A/B the real mic to the impulse. I'd love this as a recording option seeing as it might be a while before I can record cranked amps.
I have two rigs. A head with a 412 and a massive pedalboard. I run this with a TwoNotes Captor X when I play live with it. It has worked great since I started using this setup in 2021. My tone is consistent form venue to venue. Love how it works.

Earlier this year I got a Kemper. I've done all of my shows with it and a Headrush FRFR112 in 2023. I run straight to FOH and use the Headrush as my monitor for the guitar on stage. It has worked very well with a few cavoites. With the Kemper, and all digital units for that matter, if the sound guy doesn't know what he is doing... you're gonna get buried in the mix. The last band I was in, we all used Kempers. Sometimes all you heard out front was the drums. :doh:Because the sound guy wasn't pumping the mains.

When you have a competent sound man, they are absolutely stellar. They sound great if you are using good profiles. There are tons for great profiles. There are also tons of bad profiles. I've owned the AxeFX II XL and the Kemper. The Fractal is a stellar unit. I just prefer the Kemper. I spend more time playing and less time dicking around with settings. I think the Kemper also feels better under the fingers. It feels more like a real amp to me. With that said, the new AxeFX III also feels really good. For me though, the Kemper gets me playing faster.

Here's the last show I played a few months ago. (No longer in this band.) SLO100 profile.

The bass player and I are both using Kempers. As you can hear, at the mercy of the sound guy. With my actual amp it would have cut through a bit better as there would have been a 412 on stage with me.

I have two rigs. A head with a 412 and a massive pedalboard. I run this with a TwoNotes Captor X when I play live with it. It has worked great since I started using this setup in 2021. My tone is consistent form venue to venue. Love how it works.

Earlier this year I got a Kemper. I've done all of my shows with it and a Headrush FRFR112 in 2023. I run straight to FOH and use the Headrush as my monitor for the guitar on stage. It has worked very well with a few cavoites. With the Kemper, and all digital units for that matter, if the sound guy doesn't know what he is doing... you're gonna get buried in the mix. The last band I was in, we all used Kempers. Sometimes all you heard out front was the drums. :doh:Because the sound guy wasn't pumping the mains.

When you have a competent sound man, they are absolutely stellar. They sound great if you are using good profiles. There are tons for great profiles. There are also tons of bad profiles. I've owned the AxeFX II XL and the Kemper. The Fractal is a stellar unit. I just prefer the Kemper. I spend more time playing and less time dicking around with settings. I think the Kemper also feels better under the fingers. It feels more like a real amp to me. With that said, the new AxeFX III also feels really good. For me though, the Kemper gets me playing faster.

Here's the last show I played a few months ago. (No longer in this band.) SLO100 profile.

The bass player and I are both using Kempers. As you can hear, at the mercy of the sound guy. With my actual amp it would have cut through a bit better as there would have been a 412 on stage with me.

I was just going to say.. sounds like a lot of other shows i have heard where because there is no live speaker on stage, the drums are projecting and the guitars aren't loud enough in the mains. But outside of live use, in the studio, I can't see where a Kemper wouldn't be a huge win for people wanting to set it and forget it at home when laying down tracks. I guess you are at the mercy of the profile and the speaker / mic combo used but do they also provide profiles where you can add the speaker IR you want? So when you buy an amp pack, does it include just the direct modeled amp with no speaker no matter how shitty that is?

Amp packs typically comprise so-called "Studio" Profiles, which contain the amp and cab.

You can swap out the cab for any other cab from any other Profile or add your own IR's.

Amp packs typically comprise so-called "Studio" Profiles, which contain the amp and cab.

You can swap out the cab for any other cab from any other Profile or add your own IR's.
IR's make all the difference. I've been tinkering with them more and more and it's a massive rabbit hole lol. Started with OwnHammer, then i saw someone talking about York IR's and they have a sample pack for $1, they are incredible!

The last two years or so, I've gone down two parallel paths with gear:

1) going old school with 100W and 50W tube amps and a preamp/effects floorboard (ISP Theta Pro DSP MS, which is my newest addition);
2) computer / software plugin rig.

All but one of my guitar modelers are gone (SY-1000).

The tube amps do what they do, and I enjoy them when I can open them up at home; but I'm using my computer plugin rig more than anything else.

The last two years or so, I've gone down two parallel paths with gear:

1) going old school with 100W and 50W tube amps and a preamp/effects floorboard (ISP Theta Pro DSP MS, which is my newest addition);
2) computer / software plugin rig.

All but one of my guitar modelers are gone (SY-1000).

The tube amps do what they do, and I enjoy them when I can open them up at home; but I'm using my computer plugin rig more than anything else.
Same. Love my amps, but for practicality, my kemper through studio monitors at the house is way more pragmatic with the fam.

it bears repeating....digital isn't inherently evil. It's a tool, just like an amp. Sometimes the amp works better, sometimes it's the digital solution. They both have pros and cons.

Reactions: rsm
So just to be clear, can you add existing amp profiles from like Top Jimmy and others? Or can you only use the profiles that come with this Kemper unit?

Back