Is Gibson doing THAT badly?

TheMagicEight

Seems you can't mention Gibson without someone else throwing in the fact that they make lousy, expensive guitars and are only still around because of their name. Are they really doing so terribly? It seems like the guitars they're making now are leaps and bounds better than the Norlin years (which isn't to say great guitars didn't come from those years as well). Sure, they're making terrible choices too - Firebird X, Robot technology, chambering (IMO) - but most of the Traditional LPs, SGs, and Custom Shops I've played have been amazing guitars!

I'm not saying they're doing an excellent job all around, but I do believe their efforts with the guitars that Gibson became notorious for deserves a little bit of credit. Anyone else?

I like them okay. Pretty hit or miss it seems. Plus that chambered LP bullshit. I do think they receive to much criticism though :dunno:

I was glad to see them start using the PLEK system. I argued with them for years about their fret work. It's kind of like them admitting I was right all along. The are very inconsistent, and over priced imho.

I have no problem with my gibsons, i have 10 les pauls but i will admit it took me a while to find them, im picky about gibson stuff, i normally buy custom shop stuff. I have had some issues with the regular usa stuff a few times but the quality in the custom shop is more consistant, anything that is not satisfactory to me i will not buy. Now once i find a nice gibson i really like i keep them and rarely sell them, gibson produces more guitars than most brands and they have some that just shouldnt leave the factory but its the dealers that shouldnt accept it and should send that guitar back rather than put it on display, if you make alot of something theres gonna be some that slip thru the cracks, ive seen alot of other big brands have problems too.

I just don't like Gibson's 'new' models. I think they are trying, but not trying the right things.

I have 2 Les Pauls I love. I actually prefer my '04 LP standard LE to my norlin '73 LP custom, but both are great guitars. Been playing the LP custom a lot lately. :)

I think it has a lot more to do with the manufacturing in China and assembly in the US for the regular stuff.
But most Gibbyfans are still in denial about this FACT.

Ancient Alien":3jkdyrgv said:
I think it has a lot more to do with the manufacturing in China and assembly in the US for the regular stuff.
But most Gibbyfans are still in denial about this FACT.

Go on.... :checkthisout:

Gibson management will end up running the company into the ground if they don't watch it. Too many models, too much special tooling, too much design. They should drop everything but the mainstays and shitcan the rest. You used to could buy a Les Paul Custom, Deluxe or Standard, an SG and a few others, not its all VOS, Historic, Guitar of the Month, 57, 58, 59, 68, Reissues, Studio, BFG, Traditional, Standard, Standard Pro......

FUCK. Why make a model for every price range? Then there's Epiphone. They should stick to quality manufacturing of a few guitars and remain legendary. If everybody's got one, it ain't that damn special anymore....

Steve

I have played and owned a few 70s era les pauls and i think they are better then most of the new stuff. Every once in a while i find a new les paul that really blows me away (but also carrys a big price tag that i can justify) but most of the time i leave feeling disappointed with newer gibson stuff. I did play a nice Custom 2 weeks ago that i like.

I really like some of the ideas they're coming up with. The Darkfire guitar looked great, as did the Gary Moore BFG and the LP with the Floyd.

However, I think they're getting a bit out of control with forcing too much new technology. They still haven't been able to make a LP that stays perfectly in tune. :doh: And I'm not too fond of Nickelback or the Jonas Bros...they should focus on some more cutting edge and talented bands/artists for their endorsements IMO. They already have the Gibson name, it's not like they need to snag these huge sellout, crappy bands to get their products sold. If anything, they're hurting their name more than helping it. And finally, they need to cut their prices back! A good LP is hard to beat, but what they're charging is just too much IMO.

Someone said it on here before, Gibson has become a company that caters to collectors and hobbyists, and not real musicians. You can get a hand-built custom for the price of many production-line Gibsons. I can't imagine any good reason for someone to grab a brand new LP.

I very much doubt i would buy a new Gibson, the prices are getting ridicules, Id buy a Used one if it spoke to me

"We all know that our loyal Gibson customers are just a bunch of luddites"

firebird-x-hj_01.jpg

I know Custom Shop prices are high - though you can usually get a deal if you're looking for one - but the USA stuff seems reasonable. SG Std: $1200. LP Trad Pro: $2000. LP Trad Plus: $2300. Not to mention you can get 15% off depending on where you shop / which sales you take advantage of. Nitro finish, hand-finished neck and neck joint, PLEK? Seems fair to me, so long as you find one that suits you well.

As for Custom Shop prices, yeah, it's a lot to pay, but it also shows you're dedicated enough to your instrument and playing that money is not a huge concern (that or you're retarded for paying so much when you could just buy used or from a boutique company). I like knowing that out of the 100+ LPs I've played over the years, my '59 RI is leaps and bounds better (for me).

As long as there is an internet, then you will see people bitching about Gibson. I personally love my Les Paul Classic. When I can afford another Les Paul, I will buy one.

TheMagicEight":1zc3w4ha said:
Seems you can't mention Gibson without someone else throwing in the fact that they make lousy, expensive guitars and are only still around because of their name.

Yep. Sounds about right to me. :D

But seriously, they've made some legendary guitar models that have their own unique character with a long storied history. They've had quite a few issues in recent decades, but are still capable of putting out decent product (at times).

Gibson is just one of those companies that people like to bitch about.

If you ask around for what year(s) to buy if you want a good one, most people will tell you that the modern ones are way better than what they were building 10, 20, 30 or 40 years ago... with 2008 being a bit of a high point. People just don't like to admit that Gibson's currently making the best guitars they've made since pre-Norlin.

Then there's the 'price point' issues. People seem to think that a basic, student model guitar should come with the same fit an finish as a top end, professional model guitar.... then get all butt-hurt over it when it develops issues. I know there's a lot of cheap mother-f*ckers out there, but IMO $5500 for a top end instrument is not that bad... even if I can't afford it myself.

I think the stupid 'guitar of the minute' stuff is mostly for advertising attention. I mean, lets face it... the shittier the guitar the more publicity it gets them. No one really cares if they release yet another plain old Les Paul... but stick robot tuners and a USB port on one and it'll be on every gear forum within a matter of minutes, and people will argue over the stupid thing for a week.

Not much else to it.

I have a Bonamsa and love it. Prices? Well have you guys checked the prices for Huber, Anderson, Tylers, Suhrs, Grosh, McNaught, etc.? I feel it's getting stupid how much guitars are anymore.

Back