Is it hard to install EMGs?

deldgeetar

Hey guys, I just installed a JB this morning to teach myself how to solder and it all worked. How much harder is it to install EMGs than it is passive pickups? Also, can I bypass the tone controls when installing the EMGs by simply leaving the stockers in and not wiring them up?

You can do iit!

rob-schneider.jpg

So my next question is, can I install the EMG with only the volume pot? I just bought an 81 and the volume and tone pots are connected. Can I just dissconnect the tone pot and only install the volume?

deldgeetar":c5458 said:
So my next question is, can I install the EMG with only the volume pot? I just bought an 81 and the volume and tone pots are connected. Can I just dissconnect the tone pot and only install the volume?
yes

deldgeetar":97f9c said:

yes you can but be careful...when i first did this and wired up two volumes on my PRS it sounded like there was a wah on and put in the middle position...horrible tone! i later found i mixed up a couple wires and then fixed it.

there are schematics out there for non-tone control setups...i forgot where, but if you search for them im sure you can find them :)

deldgeetar":cb574 said:
Anybody know how to get the Gibson pots out? :x

remove the knobs, the remove the nut & washer(s) from the pot shaft. They then pull out through the control cav.

BTW, if these are going in your Les Paul, you will need the long shaft pots. You can usually get them through any EMG dealer. The shafts on the pots included with the EMG's are not long enough to clear the carved top.

aldog1330":5fe52 said:
BTW, if these are going in your Les Paul, you will need the long shaft pots. You can usually get them through any EMG dealer. The shafts on the pots included with the EMG's are not long enough to clear the carved top.

actually, long and short shaft pots are included with every emg pickup, at least they were when i bought them...:)

Back