Is the Digitech Hardwire Reverb really that great?

BeZo

I'm in the market for a decent sounding reverb. I'd like something kinda versatile, but I don't really see myself using more than one setting. Everyone seems to be singing the praise of the Hardwire RV-7. Does the RV-7 really sound better than all these other reverb pedals out there (for the price)? Should I go that route, or fork out a mcjob's paycheck on a BlueSky?

500 bucks for a reverb is kinda ridiculous if you're a set it and forget it verb user. For 100 bucks the Digitech is a good deal.

But the OP may want to check this out.

That Eventide is a little too much for me. I have seen that Neunaber Wet pedal. Sounds good. I'd still rather starve for a week and get the Strymon though. Space on my pedalboard is a small factor as well. I can make a parking spot just big enough for a boss sized pedal.

I also love my Cathedral - I know a lot of cats here are hot or cold on it, I'm hot... Nice package, not over-the-top pricing, stereo outs... Cool features.

V.

PS - I'm just a complete sucker for Eventide's goods, hence the reason I don't care about throwin' down for the SPACE.

I had the Digitech Reverb for awhile and really liked it....but then I bought an amp with pan verb, I needed cash & I sold the Digi.

Now that amp is sold, so I plan on circling back to the Hardwire for a second trip. It has some great tones in there at a great price

I don't really like it that much. I have first hand experience with it. My favorite is the EH stuff, but it sucks tone, esp in a loop.

All the hardwire stuff is a good buy. At one time I think I had almost every one from the series. At those prices theyre addicting

I like the hardwire , even though I don't use reverb If I did that would be the one.. It sounds alot like the classic 80's lexicon verbs ( same algorithms in the pedal) in a small bullet proof , affordable package.

Ventura":16w8ky1w said:
And the cats at EHX love showcasing what they can REALLY do with their stomps :D

awesome vid =0 the infinite sustain feature sounds killer

i had and sold the HW-7 , great unit stayed on my board for almost a year , i replaced it with an M9 as I needed space/more delay sounds a looper, and some cash =)

I have a Digitech Hardwire RV-7, really like it. I mainly use it in spring mode. The RV-7 replaced a Line 6 Verbzilla. I liked the verbzilla, particularly on the '63 spring, plate, and octo settings. The verbzilla had some draw backs, it was super heavy, flimsy knobs, sucked tone if you ran it out front (not all my amps have loops), and needed an isolated power supply channel or its own supply. When I did a head to head with the Verbzilla and the RV-7, some modes the RV-7 won, others the Verbzilla won, some were a tie. The RV-7 just doesn't have any of the drawbacks that the Verbzilla had, so for me it was a nice change.

TC electronics is coming out with their Hall of Fame Reverb, should be shipping in a couple of months. I will be looking into it. My other pedal board has the Hermida reverb and while I like it, the TC HOF reverb may give me more options or I may like it better than the RV-7. I wish the Hermida Reverb had a decay adjustment, even if it was a small pot inside the pedal.

The Blue Sky reverb looks great, but at $300 new, its triple what I paid for the Hermida and used RV-7.

How about 'The Hall Of Fame' reverb from TC Electronics. It goes for about $177. It also has a constant dry signal, so there is no tone suckage. I have not seen any other videos than the ones posted from Namm, but it looks pretty good. Here is a link that explains more details.

http://www.tcelectronic.com/pedals.asp

university81":24e45vul said:
Ventura":24e45vul said:
And the cats at EHX love showcasing what they can REALLY do with their stomps :D

awesome vid =0 the infinite sustain feature sounds killer

i had and sold the HW-7 , great unit stayed on my board for almost a year , i replaced it with an M9 as I needed space/more delay sounds a looper, and some cash =)

The Cathedral does take up a fair bit of real estate on any pedalboard, but I'm not really there with it because I don't have (at least to date) a static, rigid, developed pedalboard. So it really doesn't matter to me - what does matter to me is that it sounds f'n great, and that infinite sustain thing is really a neat feature for some great accents. I'm not saying "BUY THIS" as to each their own, I just think, bang-for-buck, ease of use, and features offered, the EHX is hard to beat, and it's a bit off the beaten path, which is something I always look for in a stomp, amp, or anything else for that matter. What's everyone else using?? Okay, thanks - I'll look for something entirely different :D

V.

danyeo":drq9za8y said:
500 bucks for a reverb is kinda ridiculous if you're a set it and forget it verb user. For 100 bucks the Digitech is a good deal.

But the OP may want to check this out.

Agreed, $500 is a fuck load for stand-alone verb and this coming from one of the biggest sauce abusers on the forum.

MARK1970":3jb4f1j9 said:
How about 'The Hall Of Fame' reverb from TC Electronics. It goes for about $177. It also has a constant dry signal, so there is no tone suckage. I have not seen any other videos than the ones posted from Namm, but it looks pretty good. Here is a link that explains more details.

http://www.tcelectronic.com/pedals.asp

Hmmmm... Very interesting. I might have to keep an ear out for that one. In the meantime, I may try to score a cheap, used RV-7 off of Craigslist just to get me by. I can always buy another pedal later. You can never have too many pedals, right?

Dont forget about the Malekko Spring Chicken if you can find one. Best verb ive ever owned. I think the new version is call the Chicklet.

I have heard the Malekko stuff is great. I kinda want something a little more tweakable. It's the same concept behind the Lovepedal Pickle Vibe I have. It sounds great, I just don't really like it because it's too simple. I wouldn't mind tracking down one of those Chicklets though.

BeZo":1e8a0oez said:
I have heard the Malekko stuff is great. I kinda want something a little more tweakable. It's the same concept behind the Lovepedal Pickle Vibe I have. It sounds great, I just don't really like it because it's too simple. I wouldn't mind tracking down one of those Chicklets though.
Yeah I like the Chicklett concept (though i havent heard one yet). Most cases verb is a set it and forget effect. so they put it in a tiny enclosure so you can stash it out of the way on your board. :thumbsup:

Back