Is your amp tech hot?

Do u guys (and gals) do this every time your chassis is out of its cab? I’ve heard people say to do it. I’ve never done it. I just poke around a bit but haven’t done I guess because it depends on what maintenance you are doing?

Do u guys (and gals) do this every time your chassis is out of its cab? I’ve heard people say to do it. I’ve never done it. I just poke around a bit but haven’t done I guess because it depends on what maintenance you are doing?
on some amps it’s not necessary. Amps like a 2203 or other amps that have voltage balancing resistors on series power caps will drain through those. That said every guitarist should own a basic multimeter. I never drain but will check the voltage with a multimeter.

Better to check with a multimeter than to take a zap. Most modern amps will drain just by turning the power off without hitting the stand by switch.

Don’t depend on the shunt resistors. With no tubes installed I’ve seen them stay charged for a very long time with non-stock cap values....

Number one rule regardless of how experienced you are, you verify what you’re working on is discharged, don’t assume anything.

Back