I've got the $ on my GC Gear Card...talk me outta this Splawn lol

After tax and shipping that's going to be 1300 to get it to you and then another 60-80 to ship to Splawn, so your into it for almost 1400 and Splawn aint fixing it for free, plus they are going to charge you shipping back. so thats no deal there.
If he will even want to repair it. I had a used Splawn last year with issues and wanted to send it in for repairs and pay whatever fees and he wouldn’t look at it. No Friedman thats for sure….

That amp has disappeared and popped up on the GC used site about 6 times in the last few months. My guess, is that someone bought it and it got damaged in shipping so it was returned. Then, rinse and repeat. They keep listing it. It keeps selling, only to be returned again when the buyer discovers something is wrong with it. Over and over. It's finally got to a point where GC had to acknowledge the damage and "discount" it hoping some sucker will come along and buy it.

Same thing happened with a Roadster Combo I bought from GC about 4 months ago. Sold as excellent condition, but arrived to me damaged and missing the footswitch that probably fell out of the gaping hole in the side of the box. I returned it, and it popped back up on my local GC's used page for sale. Again, listed in excellent condition with footswitch. Then it disappeared, and popped back up in Colorado Springs, Co. for sale. Yup, you guessed it.. in excellent condition with footswitch. That was when I called them out on it, and then it disappeared for a couple of days and when it came back up again for sale in Colorado Springs it was listed in "fair" condition and was discounted a little. Seems to be their SOP, they keep throwing it against the wall to see if it'll stick.

Maybe call Scott and see if he will repair it if you send it to him. He will give you an idea of cost at least so you know where you stand if you do decide to buy it.

I didn't know it was a lemon. I think the local GC stores use Field Services for their amp repairs. Lowell Hunt is local and would be able to fix anything, though I can see customers not wanting to deal with that. And Howard Kaplan is local and just started his own repair biz.

I love Splawns. Super cool amps. I prefer them much more than Friedman

Personally I prefer Ceriatone over both of them. But to each their own

I emailed Jerry at FJA Mods to see if he'd be willing to check out the Promod. I also emailed the Tempe Guitar Center to see if they'd drop the price any further. $1200 for a busted amp is a little high. If they'll drop it to a price low enough for me to ship it to FJA Mods, or take it somewhere in Nashville (surely someone there is familiar with Splawns), then I may take it and just pay the money to have the repair work done.

you have come to the wrong place to get talked out of taking the plunge on a gear purchase homie.....everybody here is the crowd chanting "JUMP....JUMP...JUMP.."

See what War n D wrote? That tells you a lot right there. GC just keeps reselling it knowing it has an issue. No class. Ask them why they keep reselling it and then tell them you can take it off their hands for $1,100. Or just get a different one and quit dicking around with GC. Maybe they are hoping someone will buy it who has not interest in the clean channel :LOL:

If you do get it, I can't imagine the channel switcher to be that difficult to fix.

Last edited:
I emailed Jerry at FJA Mods to see if he'd be willing to check out the Promod. I also emailed the Tempe Guitar Center to see if they'd drop the price any further. $1200 for a busted amp is a little high. If they'll drop it to a price low enough for me to ship it to FJA Mods, or take it somewhere in Nashville (surely someone there is familiar with Splawns), then I may take it and just pay the money to have the repair work done.
Jerry is still in Charlotte right? Splawn is in Dallas which is about 15-20 minutes away. I've lived in both towns all my life so I'm pretty familiar with both.

Pretty much any amp tech should be able to sort it out for you. I tend to just take stuff locally unless it's something like a mesa.

I talked to a local tech everyone uses to see if he had ever worked on any of the old Splawns. He also says the schematics aren't out there, but it seems most techs are able to call Splawn and begrudgingly get the component values and stuff so they can repair the amps. Now, just to see if GC wants to come off the price a little to get it out the door so it won't come back a 14th time lol

There are schematics out there. Don't know about the Pro Mod specifically but I'm going to guess the channel switching components are pretty much the same through out the line. And I didn't know FJA was that close to Splawn. That is good to know. I think Scott is trying to wind down as far as repairs and mods so he can focus on just making amps. I think covid market and used amp market has hit him hard. He didn't tell me that, just an educated guess.

I wasn't being negative. Just giving my honest opinion. Nice, well built amps. Just not boner territory for me. Owned the QuickRod and Nitro.
I’ve owned a QR and current own a SS and a Nitro. The Nitro took forever to get dialed in and find the right cab/ speakers. I had it for sale until a couple of weeks ago. Now that it’s dialed in, it’s going nowhere. They are finicky. Take the time to dial them in with your ears and not eyes and they are killer.

Don't waste your time on that one. If your patient you can get a nice one for a good price.

That's what I'm thinking as well. For what they are asking, you could be patient and wait for someone to put up a fully loaded QR for a little more if you don't mind EL34's vs. the KT88's. Might have to wait a while, but I'm sure one will come around eventually. I have my doubts that the Pro Mod on GC is even KT88. If you look at the close ups of the back, it looks like it's got EL's or 6L6's in it. So, that might be something else to consider as well. I was thinking Pro Mods were supposed to be KT88, so there's a possibility it may have been changed or it's being run with the wrong tubes in it. Beside that, I'm not seeing a loop volume on that Pro Mod, which means it's gonna be brutally loud if you don't have some kind of attenuation, or you're concerned at all about playing at bedroom/house levels.

Splawn Pro Mod 2.jpg

Back