Jackson PC1..Thoughts?

bikerdude2

Been gassing for one of these. Sustainer looks like fun, and I like a chunky neck. But the prices put it in territory of some killer guitars. Anyone own one? Thoughts?

I have one, don't use it much. neck is massive (thick AF). Great playing and sounding guitar, but the neck is too damn big.

I've played several and never noticed the neck being uncomfortable. They are great guitars, and the sustainer is somewhat fun but sorta gimmicky.

At the time it was introduced, I think there wasn't much like it at a competitive price point. At this time, though, I think unless you gotta have some specific spec that it offers, I'd probably look at a different Jackson/Charvel/Suhr/Anderson etc because the price might be a lot better.

I've never played the Jackson but I will say I absolutely love the Fernandes Sustainer.....coolest guitar gadget ever in my opinion

I owned one for about three months. The neck is baseball bat sized. The sustainer is cool, but I switch to the neck pickup a lot for soloing above the 12th fret. The sustainer single-coil on the guitar is very weak in my opinion. If you're a stick it on the bridge pickup and burn kinda player, its great.

I had one for a while. What always struck me as being odd was the pickups. The bridge was pretty hot and very mid heavy. It didn’t seem to match well with the middle or neck pickups at all.

I have also wanted one of these and the fact that it has a big neck makes me want one even more but the prices you are just too much

I've had one for years but sold it because I never used it.

From a construction point of view it is an exceptional guitar and comes from the factory with a perfect setting. The neck is quartersawn but although my hands are not large I felt comfortable with it because the fretboard is quite flat.

The strings have an unusual scale with 0.52 in the low string, not comfortable for an E tuning but that wasn't the reason why I never played it either.

The reason were the pickups, I would have had to change all three, especially the central one and the one at the neck with the sustainer that sounded lifeless. I wasn't able to find MY sound with it.

I looked at the wiring and it looked like a power plant. I therefore decided to sell it.

I've had 2 PC1's. Great guitars! if price is an issue, look into a Schecter Sun Valley Super Shredder. Same woods, 24 frets, sustainer, neck isn't as thick but isn't thin either.

I've owned 3. Great guitars. I didn't think the necks were huge at all.

Get a newer one with truss rod wheel.

I've had I think 3 of them over the years. The necks are quite bulky, there is no doubt (esp when compared to the "usual" Jackson). Also, the sustainer is kind of cool, but really - unless you're Phil Collen and always have it on, you might start to feel a nicer neck pickup might have been a better thing.

I will also second the Shecter Sun Valley guitar. I have one of those, and its a really nice guitar for the price, and has a more comfy neck. The sustainer is also a different type than the Jackson and has more modes to it, which make it a little more useful for something that really isn't that useful to begin with IMO.

Of all the amps I've had this amp/guitar combo is the best tone I've ever achieved.
Biggest downside to the PC-1 was live if the stage gets dark you cannot see the neck dots on top -why did he do that?? The neck size did not really bother my small hands, however, the upside is 'more wood more tone' -John Suhr and I agree!

I had one a few yrs ago and it looked killer but it was a tad heavy and the neck was like a baseball bat. You should try one out if at all possible before buying one. Maybe I should have kept mine and put another neck on it.

I had one a few yrs ago and it looked killer but it was a tad heavy and the neck was like a baseball bat. You should try one out if at all possible before buying one. Maybe I should have kept mine and put another neck on it.
Played one once and liked the neck.

Back