Jackson pro series

Mindys87

Hey,

I was checking online that Jackson has produced new lineup and there's this King V pro series in snow white. Looks the same as the one Hetfield used in the 80's. I became curious about it, because I always wanted V shape and especially white. Never had Jackson, so wondering what's the quality on these pro series guitars and are they making them in Indonesia? I have LTD EC-1000 so would be interesting to compare them quality wise. Thanks.

I have had every tier of jackson, and the x series and pro series are identical as far as craftsmanship to me. I loved my x series guitar. As far as I can tell, the x series and pro series will be made at different shops depending on where they are serving. But for U.S. it is probably going to be Indonesia.

I gotta disagree. I had an X series Soloist and it wasnt half as good as my Pro series.

They are made in Indonesia. I have the white pro series Soloist and I absolutely love it. Plays like butter and also it has some weight to it which is a plus for me.

Played great out of the box. Only complaint I have is I wish they would add stainless frets.

The x series Soloist I had was unplayable out of the box and even after taking it to two different techs it never played right. It may have been a lemon but all the pro series I've tried have been nice.

Attachments

• 20201215_134657.jpg
    20201215_134657.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 40
I gotta disagree. I had an X series Soloist and it wasnt half as good as my Pro series.

They are made in Indonesia. I have the white pro series Soloist and I absolutely love it. Plays like butter and also it has some weight to it which is a plus for me.

Played great out of the box. Only complaint I have is I wish they would add stainless frets.

The x series Soloist I had was unplayable out of the box and even after taking it to two different techs it never played right. It may have been a lemon but all the pro series I've tried have been nice.
I have only had one of each, so my experience is very limited. But if I were to guess, I would say that x series are basic guitars with maybe slightly better bridges and tuners than JS which i think are all made in china with tinker toy parts. Pro series starts giving better electronics and pretty veneer tops. The X series I got i just rewired completely with high quality electronics, and it played like a dream. But it and my pro series both have/had plastic nuts. I think that the quality of the build probably varies within model based on who is doing it rather than what tier it is until you get up to custom.

Last edited:
I love MIJ Jacksons. I have an arsenal of them. Probably by far the best bang for the buck after you swap the tremolo out for a OFR.

Never been impressed with the MIC/Indo/etc. I understand that you are looking for a new model but I would dig deep and see if you can find a MIJ from yesteryear spec'd close enough for you.

Also, that guitar is beautiful man.

I love MIJ Jacksons. I have an arsenal of them. Probably by far the best bang for the buck after you swap the tremolo out for a OFR.

Never been impressed with the MIC/Indo/etc. I understand that you are looking for a new model but I would dig deep and see if you can find a MIJ from yesteryear spec'd close enough for you.
I found a 90s MIJ Jackson DK on craigslist for $200 a couple months ago. I absolutely love it. I am replacing the OFR and bridge pickup and for less than $500 total, I don't see how it can be beat. There is a japanese Kelly professional w/ original Charvel Jackson case for $200 on FB marketplace right now near Carbondale IL, Im having thoughts!

I found a 90s MIJ Jackson DK on craigslist for $200 a couple months ago. I absolutely love it. I am replacing the OFR and bridge pickup and for less than $500 total, I don't see how it can be beat. There is a japanese Kelly professional w/ original Charvel Jackson case for $200 on FB marketplace right now near Carbondale IL, Im having thoughts!

I have 10. I started buying them up when the tsunami tore Japan up. I got a DK2M for $150, DKMG's for $200 etc. All are pro series, all have either OFR or Gotoh. All have FU-Tone Big Brass Blocks in them. Probably the best guitar you can get for the money without question.

Deals are still out there but MIJ are getting a little more expensive in general and harder to find if you are looking for something mint.

Also, that guitar is beautiful man.
Man I was trying to get a charvel at the time cause I wanted something with a floyd and all of the models I wanted were not in stock at zzounds(I didnt want to pay at once cause Im cheap). So I bought the Jackson thinking it would be ok. When I got it I was impressed. I love this guitar and it was super inspiring to play. I love Jackson necks as well. I was playing solar for the past couple years and I just wanted something different. I have a mayones custom coming to me next month but after that I want a single cut or maybe get that Charvel I was wanting.

Man I was trying to get a charvel at the time cause I wanted something with a floyd and all of the models I wanted were not in stock at zzounds(I didnt want to pay at once cause Im cheap). So I bought the Jackson thinking it would be ok. When I got it I was impressed. I love this guitar and it was super inspiring to play. I love Jackson necks as well. I was playing solar for the past couple years and I just wanted something different. I have a mayones custom coming to me next month but after that I want a single cut or maybe get that Charvel I was wanting.
Yeah. I had a solar. Loved the thing. But I ended up moving on from it because I felt like the evertune might limit my playing, but i love jacksons. Have three right now

Right now I am wiring a solar bridge pickup into my son's jackson minion. It is a 140$ guitar. I lowballed the guitar shop and got it for a discount. but it sounded pretty decent with the stock pup. I will see how nice i can make it sound now.

Attachments

• mini jackson.jpg
    mini jackson.jpg
    8 MB · Views: 34
Not to hijack the thread, but since it was mentioned...how are the new made in Japan Jacksons? Seems they have a few more of those again. Are they on par with the old Japanese Pro series?

I am into US Jacksons, but my son manages at a local guitar store (not a big box) that is owned by a very old friend of mine. The store lets him bring instruments home to use them so he can get a feel for them in order to more effectively sell. He is also a Jackson fan. We have been able to do auditions for days at a time of many Jacksons from all of the lines.

The Pros are really close to the USA Jacksons. What I find is that the oiled necks are not as satiny and buttery as a USA Jackson. This is consistent for all oil neck Pros that we have tried.

The other thing with the Pro line is that they are hit or miss on QC. We have seen Soloists with sloppy pickup and tremolo routes. Neck pockets that are too large. Sloppy fretwork. Poor nut installation. Shoddy bridge/string alignment. It is not every instrument, but we have literally sampled hundreds of Jackson Pros and found that somewhere in the neighborhood of 20% have obvious issues.

The X Series exhibits the same types of issues just at higher defect rates. He and I basically decided that if you are on a budget and looking at an X Series, this is a line that you need to hand pick your instrument... no online ordering. There are some nice guitars being produced in the X Series, but it is essentially a coin flip as to whether a guitar may have issues.

Last edited:
I am into US Jacksons, but my son manages at a local guitar store (not a big box) that is owned by a very old friend of mine. The store lets him bring instruments home to use them so he can get a feel for them in order to more effectively sell. He is also a Jackson fan. We have been able to do auditions for days at a time of many Jacksons from all of the lines.

The Pros are really close to the USA Jacksons. What I find is that the oiled necks are not as satiny and buttery as a USA Jackson. This is consistent for all oil neck Pros that we have tried.

The other thing with the Pro line is that they are hit or miss on QC. We have seen Soloists with sloppy pickup and tremolo routes. Neck pockets that are too large. Sloppy fretwork. Poor nut slotting. Shoddy bridge/string alignment. It is not every instrument, but we have literally sampled hundreds of Jackson Pros and found that somewhere in the neighborhood of 20% have obvious issues.

The X Series exhibits the same types of issues just at higher defect rates. He and I basically decided that if you are on a budget and looking at an X Series, this is a line that you need to hand pick your instrument... no online ordering. There are some nice guitars being produced in the X Series, but it is essentially a coin flip as to whether a guitar may have issues.
Good info... I just purchased a Dinky Pro from Sweetwater. I was going to get the Soloist but the Dinky Pro had IMO the better wood and pickups for the 80s hard rock and metal I like to play. Alder body with a JB and 59. It just seemed to tick all the boxes... oh yeah, it is also fluorescent pink. I've always wanted a fluorescent pink guitar to rock 80s music. Plus it was made in Mexico.. not that that means anything but I've always thought nice guitars were coming out of that Fender shop down in Mexico.

Do you have any opinions on the new Dinky Pros?

Good info... I just purchased a Dinky Pro from Sweetwater. I was going to get the Soloist but the Dinky Pro had IMO the better wood and pickups for the 80s hard rock and metal I like to play. Alder body with a JB and 59. It just seemed to tick all the boxes... oh yeah, it is also fluorescent pink. I've always wanted a fluorescent pink guitar to rock 80s music. Plus it was made in Mexico.. not that that means anything but I've always thought nice guitars were coming out of that Fender shop down in Mexico.

Do you have any opinions on the new Dinky Pros?
I think they are nice guitars. Separating the neck from the body and rubbing some micromesh or 0000 steel wool with the grain using light pressure can take the neck to the next level if done properly (you don’t want to reshape or remove material, just “soften” the feel of the neck). Look for defects. Odds are in your favor for getting a clean guitar with the pros.

I personally like DiMarzio pickups. My main guitar is a Dinky with a Super Distortion in the bridge and a Super 2 in the neck. The JB/59 combo is a Jackson classic. A lot of music has been recorded with that pickup combo. They should serve you well.

If you got a DK Pro with a Floyd, that would be an FR-1000. The thing with the FR-1000 is that it is an OEM model meant for use by manufacturers on new guitars. They can come with zinc alloy saddles and sustain block. It is dependent on how the manufacturer spec’d out the FR-1000s they ordered. I generally prefer avoiding zinc alloys on bridges because it is a softer metal that wears faster. Due to the lack of clarity (on specs, not tone), I replaced the FR-1000 on my Charvel Satchel with an OFR, though this was done strictly out of personal preference.

What color did you get? I have a White Dinky. Another one is being built right now at the JCS.

Last edited:
I think they are nice guitars. Separating the neck from the body and rubbing some micromesh or 0000 steel wool with the grain using light pressure can take the neck to the next level if done properly (you don’t want to reshape or remove material, just “soften” the feel of the neck). Look for defects. Odds are in your favor for getting a clean guitar with the pros.

I personally like DiMarzio pickups. My main guitar is a Dinky with a Super Distortion in the bridge and a Super 2 in the neck. The JB/59 combo is a Jackson classic. A lot of music has been recorded with that pickup combo. They should serve you well.

If you got a DK Pro with a Floyd, that would be an FR-1000. The thing with the FR-1000 is that it is an OEM model meant for use by manufacturers on new guitars. They can come with zinc alloy saddles and sustain block. It is dependent on how the manufacturer spec’d out the FR-1000s they ordered. I generally prefer avoiding zinc alloys on bridges because it is a softer metal that wears faster. Due to the lack of clarity, I replaced the FR-1000 on my Charvel Satchel with an OFR, though this was done strictly out of personal preference.

What color did you get? I have a White Dinky. Another one is being built right now at the JCS.
I got the neon pink here:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PDK2NP--jackson-pro-series-dinky-dk2-neon-pink
The swap to the OFR is a direct swap isn't it? Did you replace the posts too? I won't do it right away but only if the FR-1000 gives me issues.

I'm going to get a Super Distortion to try in several of my guitars. I have a tone zone in an Ibanez RG but I'm not a big fan of it. It is not bad but I like the Super 3 in my Charvel better.

I noticed the really high end Jacksons I found new online have Dimarizios in them... wonder why?

I'm really looking forward to hearing the JB and 59 in this Dinky.

I got the neon pink here:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PDK2NP--jackson-pro-series-dinky-dk2-neon-pink
The swap to the OFR is a direct swap isn't it? Did you replace the posts too? I won't do it right away but only if the FR-1000 gives me issues.

I'm going to get a Super Distortion to try in several of my guitars. I have a tone zone in an Ibanez RG but I'm not a big fan of it. It is not bad but I like the Super 3 in my Charvel better.

I noticed the really high end Jacksons I found new online have Dimarizios in them... wonder why?

I'm really looking forward to hearing the JB and 59 in this Dinky.
The OFR is a direct swap mostly. I think the FR1000 has shorter string retainer bolts if I remember correctly. This was a non-issue on the Satchel since the Floyd was top mounted.

I installed Titanium posts that I had laying around when I did the swap. Have to be careful not to lift or crack the finish when extracting the old inserts.

If you are seeing DiMarzios on production Selects, Jackson is probably getting some advatageous pricing from DiMarzio would be my guess. Otherwise they are probably Custom Selects that were ordered with DiMarzios.

Had read in your first post that the guitar was hot pink. Sorry for asking about the color... haven’t had any caffeine yet!

I must admit... I am a sucker for pink or white guitars:
Xk5RAPL.jpg

LC8F9NJ.jpg

Last edited:
The OFR is a direct swap mostly. I think the FR1000 has shorter string retainer bolts if I remember correctly. This was a non-issue on the Satchel since the Floyd was top mounted.

I installed Titanium posts that I had laying around when I did the swap. Have to be careful not to lift or crack the finish when extracting the old inserts.

If you are seeing DiMarzios on production Selects, Jackson is probably getting some advatageous pricing from DiMarzio would be my guess. Otherwise they are probably Custom Selects that were ordered with DiMarzios.

Had read in your first post that the guitar was hot pink. Sorry for asking about the color... haven’t had any caffeine yet!

I must admit... I am a sucker for pink or white guitars:
Xk5RAPL.jpg

LC8F9NJ.jpg
Those look awesome! I couldn't see the pics at work.

I think this is going to be my next one. I don't really like any of the colors on the two models but the pink one looks best... It is a mix between pink and white I think. I always wanted an H-S guitar like this back in the 80s but really didn't play back then. And 87' is the year I graduated HS.

https://www.espguitars.com/products/21865-mirage-deluxe-87
original.png

Back