James Hetfield has a new KL Explorer

Terex

Schermafbeelding%202018-02-08%20om%2011.26.59_zpsmni0eraw.png

Anyone has more detailed pictures? The top looks interesting.

MetalHeadMike":khmxyih3 said:
Spalted maple; yummy!

Is it spalted maple? Looks like something else, never seen spalted maple with that kind of straight lines.

Looks like wood from an old barn or fence or something like that. Grey and split from sun and weather exposure.

cardinal":2hh3p9yh said:
Looks like wood from an old barn or fence or something like that. Grey and split from sun and weather exposure.
You beat me to it, I was gonna say the exact thing :LOL: :LOL:

Apparently it was made from wood extracted from the old Carlson garage. :rock:

Credit for that info goes to cousin Pushead

Fordman65":3i6yk2cs said:
Apparently it was made from wood extracted from the old Carlson garage. :rock:

Credit for that info goes to cousin Pushead

Cool! Whats the old Carlson garage? :D

It's the original garage from back in the day, when the band formed. On Carlson bvd. In El Cerrito California

Fordman65":1kknyr56 said:
It's the original garage from back in the day, when the band formed. On Carlson bvd. In El Cerrito California

Aah that garage! That's super cool, great idea. Curious to what the inlay exactly is. Looks like another hunting scene.

I'd like to claim credit, but they posted it as a caption under the photo on the Metallica website.

I've heard that Ken joked that he hopes that he doesn't get 100 requests for guitars made from old garages.

AFAIK, this is the best photo that exists of the guitar. The previous photo was less detailed. Looks like another hunting scene as an inlay. It also looks like some of the worming or holes could be from old nails. It looks like there is remnants of old nails or bolts between the two pickups.

Pushead":15bwonlx said:
I'd like to claim credit, but they posted it as a caption under the photo on the Metallica website.

I've heard that Ken joked that he hopes that he doesn't get 100 requests for guitars made from old garages.

AFAIK, this is the best photo that exists of the guitar. The previous photo was less detailed. Looks like another hunting scene as an inlay. It also looks like some of the worming or holes could be from old nails. It looks like there is remnants of old nails or bolts between the two pickups.

Those nails look pretty cool.

And no black hardware on this one, that's a first :) (Would look better with some distressed flat black hardware though!)

Terex":2wlbalhf said:
Fordman65":2wlbalhf said:

Aah that garage! That's super cool, great idea.
And probably warrants the use of EMGs better than if said garage was made from say, 70yr old wengé or AAAA flamed mahogany. :checkthisout:

I don't want to sound like a hippy, but I'm really digging the whole reclaimed wood idea. I was reading about it recently and such a great idea. They have all of these old woods from old houses, barns, etc. and these are great slabs to make guitars with! It finally gave me a bit of hope that some people were actually trying to be good in this world instead of munching on Tide Pods. :)

Back