Jan Akkerman - sounds like a Strat, looks like a Gibson, kind of. Hocus Pocus by Focus '73

Markedman

Here, Jan plays through a Fender Solid State with a Les Paulish guitar which I could find no info on. Maybe Hagstom?

Anyway, he shreds like no other in this video. I've never seen the band play this song the same way twice, it's pure improvisational jamming.

After the song ends, Jan immediately turns around and turns off one amp and as he goes to shut the other off, he just lifts and waves his hand as to say, "WTF? Another blown amp?"

Last edited:
Yeah in another old video of this song I seem to recall him playing a Framus AK1974, which I believe was sort of his signature model

Not sure what the guitar in this clip is though; looks interesting!

Love that clip. 70s cocaine had to be powerful haha. It looks like a Hagstrom Swede but the headstock is different.

Yeah in another old video of this song I seem to recall him playing a Framus AK1974, which I believe was sort of his signature model

Not sure what the guitar in this clip is though; looks interesting!
I LOVE those AK 1974s !!! Rick Emmet used one for a few years ! He had one with a Kahler on it !

The guitar used in the video is a Gibson Les Paul Personal . They came out in the 70’s . They had the low impedance pickups . I borrowed one from my friend , should have bought it . Two on reverb $9-10 grand .Why they don’t release them again with humbuckers is beyond me .

It looks quite different than the Les Paul Personals I'm seeing on google - different pickups and knob layout

Did they make different versions?

Sorry I didn't mention this . Basically it’s a custom build of a Les Paul Personal with humbuckers . Actually not a Gibson at all .

Back