JCM 900 4100 Tube Suggestions

steve@russo

I am picking up the 900 from my singer tomorrow, this thing has never been retubed, any suggestions? I play indy rock with a strat w/ black dog bkp and 52 tele. I would like to be able to fill it out a bit. I can either use his cab (900) or my v4 with govenors.

EL34 or 5881? My buddy had an EL34 model and he liked it best with EH EL34s. I had a 5581 model and I liked it best with GT tubes. Cant remember what ones. We both liked them best with Sovtek LPS preamp tubes.

The 900s are nowhere near as bad as people on the internet make them out to be. Im not saying they are the BEST Marshalls :LOL: :LOL: But you can get some descent tones out of them. Especially with a good boost or OD and maybe an EQ in the loop for some more bottom end

droptrd":j71j6pzd said:
The 900s are nowhere near as bad as people on the internet make them out to be. Im not saying they are the BEST Marshalls :LOL: :LOL: But you can get some descent tones out of them. Especially with a good boost or OD and maybe an EQ in the loop for some more bottom end

+1

johnpace2":3b6clxf7 said:
droptrd":3b6clxf7 said:

+1

+1.

For indie rock you probably don't need either though. For heavier tones an od in front and eq in the loop works wonders. The amps actually sound very good like that.

Some 900's can sound really nice. Early models have el34, they later went to 5881 as tubes were hard to come by and for shipping issues. The 5881 type will say it is 5881 equipped on front
Panel. The tube swap is not hard an requires bias adjustment. I had a 2500 mkiii an liked it alot, especially the dual footswitchable master volumes.

My Langner 900 likes SED's (EL34's) and a mix of Amperex and GE preamp tubes
It is a dragon slayer :yes: :LOL: :LOL:

Back