Jerry Cantrell being amazing at E3 2013 videogame conference

rocknrolla":3cfd5dz5 said:
Shouldn't this be in Off Topic?

how is this off anything?
it's Jerry fuckin' Cantrell rocking a hot rodded Gibson through a boutique amp, and demoing a great innovative jammin' tool for real players
I thought that was exactly what rig-talk was about
;)

Rythmically I get it... but lead wise, he never did anything for me. Not much happening there except slow pentatonics and a few bends. :dunno: Good product demo though. I also don't mind the short hair.

Kapo_Polenton":ojgtrfcz said:
Rythmically I get it... but lead wise, he never did anything for me. Not much happening there except slow pentatonics and a few bends. :dunno: Good product demo though. I also don't mind the short hair.

The beauty of Jerry's leads are that he never overplays and he gets in and out perfectly for the song. He also has a very interesting and dark choice of notes. When you hear a Cantrell solo, whether you know it's him or not at first, you can call it by the end. "Yep. That's Jerry."

That is my take on it anyway.

Kapo_Polenton":2wkxbef9 said:

He's got great tone, he wrotes great tunes, and while he doesn't have shredder chops he can play lead well enough.

fek":a7gabfaj said:
Kapo_Polenton":a7gabfaj said:

The beauty of Jerry's leads are that he never overplays and he gets in and out perfectly for the song. He also has a very interesting and dark choice of notes. When you hear a Cantrell solo, whether you know it's him or not at first, you can call it by the end. "Yep. That's Jerry."

Some of the best lead out there in Nutshell. Just a perfectly crafted song. I know it is all personal preference, but I like to listen to Cantrell and Knopfler to check out understated phrasing. Each underplays by shredder standards, but I'm not sure there are many more recognizable guitarists by their tone out there. Especially Knopfler...

I'm glad kids are getting some rock in their world...

Do I like my shreddy guitar playing sure, but Cantrell has some major feel in his playing and his solos fit the songs w/o a doubt one of my favorite guitarist.

hes playing a brown eye. were making four more right now for him

i never thought i would see me and dave's amps at E3, very cool.

fek":1linvqmj said:
Kapo_Polenton":1linvqmj said:

My thoughts exactly. Besides having one of the greatest recorded rock tones ever, he plays with feeling and soul and hits all the right notes. Equally as impressive to me as some of the great shredders. He's like Gilmour in his approach.

His playing style is more of a voice than just about anyone I've ever heard, and it fits perfectly with his singing voice and the rest of the band's stuff.
To me, he's the epitome of a great, original rock musician.

I guess to each their own then.. if I want a guy with a voice when he plays leads, my vote would go to Shenker. There is a guy who ripped it up and conveyed his emotions through his leads. Not taking anything away from Cantrell, I too liked his rythm playing.

Back