Jim Gaustad and the new Metroplex-II

Al Estrada always impressed me the most. He doesn’t sound like he’s stiff in his playing and the style of EVH is just there. If you have to remember what chord or right hand flavor to do next it’s not going to sound right. Dime covers are the same way - he had a swing about his playing that was super tight.

The amp sounds great but it sounds like it still has too much gain dialed in. Eddie’s tone had more teeth in it - more poweramp push dialed in.

Sounds good but running the Metroplex MKII with a variac set to 90 VAC kinda defeats the purpose of George's design to replicate great plexi tone with 120ACV line voltage.

I'm sure George has switching relays in the amp I bet they don't like seeing lower voltage..................yikes.

I would have preferred Jim record the amp straight up with no variac......................I can only guess the amp wasn't sounding the way Jim wanted it to so he variaced it down to get it where he liked it.

I'm pretty sure George has a low voltage variac selection for the power transformer already so he should have used that first IMHO....most people aren't going to variac a $3500.00 amp...I could be wrong....:unsure::dunno:

I also find it interesting that Jim hs migrated to a Duncan 78 model for VHII and Fair Warning instead of that early JB wind he was using prior.......

Last edited:
Al Estrada always impressed me the most. He doesn’t sound like he’s stiff in his playing and the style of EVH is just there. If you have to remember what chord or right hand flavor to do next it’s not going to sound right. Dime covers are the same way - he had a swing about his playing that was super tight.

The amp sounds great but it sounds like it still has too much gain dialed in. Eddie’s tone had more teeth in it - more poweramp push dialed in.
I agree Al Estrada has the swing and feel of early Ed.......:2thumbsup:

Everyone says the album tone is not obtainable without the studio tricks and I agree to a point if you want EXACT recorded tone... but I only have to post the album release party and Selland Arena shows from the 1978 tours live these shows replicated the album tone very very well.........without any studio effects......so there's that!:yes::dunno:

Sounds good but running the Metroplex MKII with a variac set to 90 VAC kinda defeats the purpose of George's design to replicate great plexi tone with 120ACV line voltage.

I'm sure George has switching relays in the amp I bet they don't like seeing lower voltage..................yikes.

I would have preferred Jim record the amp straight up with no variac......................I can only guess the amp wasn't sounding the way Jim wanted it to so he variaced it down to get it where he liked it.

I'm pretty sure George has a low voltage variac selection for the power transformer already so he should have used that first IMHO....most people aren't going to variac a $3500.00 amp...I could be wrong....:unsure::dunno:
The last clips he put up are with no variac and using the master volume.

Man that sounds great

I bet you could get close to the variac’d verison with one of the hotter VH type pickups. Just to compress it a bit more at lower volume if that makes sense.

Reactions: PDC
Question is he playing this at blistering volumes or is he using an annenuator ?He has the volumes dimed.
Can the Metro-plex get this tone at moderate volume levels ?

Sounds Great !

He and the amp sound good but I can't get past that V he has haphazardly propped against the amp obviously just for the background shot. At least put it on a stand man

I dont like Joe Satriani - and other solo guitarists as well cause I just prefer songs and bands- but I dont get the hate...
If SH wanted an EVH clone, there are way too many to choose...whats the point in getting a clone...? Will it sell tickets ?? No...
Whereas Satch playing EVH songs, well thats something worth seeing...SH will play some of his stuff, JS will play some of his and everything will be nice...

I dont like Joe Satriani - and other solo guitarists as well cause I just prefer songs and bands- but I dont get the hate...
If SH wanted an EVH clone, there are way too many to choose...whats the point in getting a clone...? Will it sell tickets ?? No...
Whereas Satch playing EVH songs, well thats something worth seeing...SH will play some of his stuff, JS will play some of his and everything will be nice...
100% agree

Back