JJ KT77 in VH4 - Biasing Recomendations

will do... thanks peter!

for the sake of clarity, that means 70ma on each side of the OT, right?

also, where should the bias selecter-switch reside? EL34 right?

ajharris1215":a1692 said:
I've just bought a quad of JJ KT77's for my '06 VH4. Anyone have reccomendations on where to bias them? Thanks...
Dude,
Lemme know how these KT77 tubes sound? Im thinking of replacement tubes for my 05' VH4 and was thinking about these as well. Nice list of some stuff you have as well

:rock:

i've been through lots of tubes in many amps. tone is very specific for the individual, and i pursue what works for me. if you want to hear the sound i currently aim for, check out https://www.myspace.com/collapsar. the first track("the great caldera") was recorded live with both guitars through stock VH4's on Eminence loaded Splawn 4x12's. one guitar is a flying v, the other is a les paul supreme.

when i bought my VH4 it had stock Ruby EL34B-STR(which are made as EL34B's in china by Shuguang - many people doubt that chinese tube factories can turn out quality work, but these tubes are top-notch, and are used as original equipment by many amp manufacturers, including Peter Diezel). after those wore out i tried JJ KT88's, JJ 6L6's, and then the JJ KT77's.

the 88's were a bit dry(however, i've had incredible results with JJ KT88's in several other amps). the JJ 6L6's were awesome. very tight with lots of low end and good clarity. the clean suffers a bit from el34, but not very much.

i would have happily stuck with 6L6, but i was curious about the 77's. to me, they sound like a cross between EL34's and 6L6's(in a good way). they're very rich with good harmonics. the highs are more like 6L6's. very clear and defined. the low end is big and tight. its a nice departure from a typical el34 tone without the harshness 6l6's can bring.

overall, JJKT77's are not as sweet and smooth as the average EL34, yet not nearly as harsh as 6L6's. i like them a lot more than the Ruby EL34B-STR's, and i'm gonna leave them in until they die. After that, i'll try some of the SED Winged "C" tubes, which may be the best choice for the VH4. i'm glad to see that Peter is switching to these as standard equipment. they're made by Svetlana in St.Petersburg, Russia, and i've had excellent results from them in other amps. SED makes them in many different types(el34, 6l6, kt88, 6550, etc.), so i'll probably start with the EL34's.

hope this helps...

Back