Jose Mod vs Vemuram Las Lunas

  • Thread starter Thread starter scottosan
  • Start date Start date
This is what I don't get about these amps in a box pedals.. no tubes in the thing and they want 500 euro for it? I mean a Friedman IR-X or any rackmount preamp is going to be way closer and same price. If i am doing amp in a box with no tubes, I go cheap with a guvnor and use power tube sim and cab sim in my Cab M+.



Why spend $150 on a reissue Guv’nor, when can this for $33.

IMG_5584.jpeg


This Caline Jaguar High Gain Distortion is a clone of a Friedman BE-OD /MI Audio Super Crunch Box.

Heard some really good sounding demos on YouTube

In a home environment, I’m sure you’d hear noise when cranked, but in a live setting , the noise wouldn’t be an issue.

I’m just not hearing an amazing sound from the Las Lunas , that couldn’t be found or approximated from a lot of other high gain pedals for a lot less than $425 here in the US.
 
Why spend $150 on a reissue Guv’nor, when can this for $33.

View attachment 461085

This Caline Jaguar High Gain Distortion is a clone of a Friedman BE-OD /MI Audio Super Crunch Box.

Heard some really good sounding demos on YouTube

In a home environment, I’m sure you’d hear noise when cranked, but in a live setting , the noise wouldn’t be an issue.

I’m just not hearing an amazing sound from the Las Lunas , that couldn’t be found or approximated from a lot of other high gain pedals for a lot less than $425 here in the US.
Having tried most of them I would say you were wrong, doesn’t sound like anything else, and nothing else sounds like it.
 
As someone that has been a machinist, tool and die guy, and fabricator I really doubt they machined anything in that enclosure
Besides drilling for the pots, switch, etc... it would be stupid and a stupid expensive way to make it. Even welding it out of sheet is still stupid and expensive as It is a pedal enclosure not a part for a nuclear sub, air craft, or any other applications where overbuilt is justifiable. In this application it adds expense without adding quality or needed structural rigidity. It sounds decent but not worth the money and no where near as good as that Jose.
 
As someone that has been a machinist, tool and die guy, and fabricator I really doubt they machined anything in that enclosure
Besides drilling for the pots, switch, etc... it would be stupid and a stupid expensive way to make it. Even welding it out of sheet is still stupid and expensive as It is a pedal enclosure not a part for a nuclear sub, air craft, or any other applications where overbuilt is justifiable. In this application it adds expense without adding quality or needed structural rigidity. It sounds decent but not worth the money and no where near as good as that Jose.

I agree with the last sentence of this post 1000%
 
As someone that has been a machinist, tool and die guy, and fabricator I really doubt they machined anything in that enclosure
Besides drilling for the pots, switch, etc... it would be stupid and a stupid expensive way to make it. Even welding it out of sheet is still stupid and expensive as It is a pedal enclosure not a part for a nuclear sub, air craft, or any other applications where overbuilt is justifiable. In this application it adds expense without adding quality or needed structural rigidity. It sounds decent but not worth the money and no where near as good as that Jose.
Did you watch the video I posted of the guy taking it apart? I am ignorant at metal work, so I don't know the correct terms. Could it be stamped? Theres definitely some "work" going on. In either case, it doesn't look cast and the pedals are objectively far more quiet than clones and when stacking, starting out with a quiet noise floor makes all of the difference in the world.

1790553630859.png

1790553704366.png

1790554113071.png

1790554123014.png
 
Back
Top