JP2C

Heads up, Mesa got back to me on a JP2C I've had on order since December. They just received the new Schumacher transformers last week and are finishing building their back catalog of custom orders and dealer orders. We'll see if the "new" JP2C is just as good or better than the "old" JP2C. My hopes are it slays. :ROFLMAO:
That is interesting news. I wonder what if any sound differences will be.

Good read, good info on the series. Due to no conscience effort, I’ve actually never owned any of the Mark series. I almost always have a mental view that newer is better, for better or worse. I’m always tempted by the JP2C and the V…

Funny, I'm of the mind of the older the better bc they made things far differently than they do now.

Last edited:
They are unable to reproduce the 105 as some materials are no longer available. Also would be tough to find consistent tubes on a large scale that would survive the plate voltage. New tubes aren't getting better unfortunately.
Couple things to mention. The 105 does not define the C+. I’ve owned an original HRG with the 100, an SRG, another HRG ++ with the 105, and just recently sold a KRG. The far quicker attack exists in every other PT not named 105. You like sag? Get the 105. Tighter/faster attack? Any other version.
It’s hard to say why they can’t truly recreate a real deal C+…but something in that original circuit must not be made anymore for them not to truly be able to do it right.
There’s a clarity and touch sensitivity that just doesn’t exist on any other Mark.
The best tone of all I’ve owned was the SRG…and, if I’m honest it was just a bit better as a C before Mike upgraded it. Loved it as a C+ of course, but it had this raw open angry tone that was unreal.

Couple things to mention. The 105 does not define the C+. I’ve owned an original HRG with the 100, an SRG, another HRG ++ with the 105, and just recently sold a KRG. The far quicker attack exists in every other PT not named 105. You like sag? Get the 105. Tighter/faster attack? Any other version.
It’s hard to say why they can’t truly recreate a real deal C+…but something in that original circuit must not be made anymore for them not to truly be able to do it right.
There’s a clarity and touch sensitivity that just doesn’t exist on any other Mark.
The best tone of all I’ve owned was the SRG…and, if I’m honest it was just a bit better as a C before Mike upgraded it. Loved it as a C+ of course, but it had this raw open angry tone that was unreal.
I refuse to have Mike B mod any of my amps. Bone stock. You can't get it done with what they gave ya outta the factory, practice more.
My SRG is MASSIVE sounding and I wouldn't mod that for "more gain".
Just run era correct glass!

If you're tone chasing recorded tones, best of luck there. Finding my own sound in my Mesa amps, as is, was rewarding and honestly I don't even run the gain above 6 on my SRG, it doesn't need much beyond turning it on.

Back