Just got a VHX! Help with a legato lead tone

imm0rtality8

Just received my vhx yesterday! It sounds AMAZING. So easy to get a vh4 sound...eventhough Ive never played any diezel amps before. I think I got the sound from aenima by tool pretty easily.
Here is my issue. I am currently working on legato guitar. Just practicing with a book. I was using a boss gt1 through a mixer to my monitors. I bypassed any amp as I have a marshall jcm 2000 TSL and have never gotten the tone or sound I wanted. That’s the reason I bought the VHX. I can tell I can get any sound I want but I need that oversaturated, reverby, delay infused sustain that lasts forever. And yes, i have played with the compressor reverb and delay but am not sure how to get the sound I’m looking for. I can get a sound but I have to “work” for my legato notes (think whole fretboard legato. I want to string out 50 notes at a time.) Where as in the gt1 it’s like my pickups are more active and responsive. HELP!

Welcome to the Diezel family :)

As for the question I think you shouldn't have any issue with the tone you are looking for by using:

Red Channel
Shape at 2
Gain at 0.65

EQ wise i like pushing mids and roll off treble, like:

Treble 0.55
Mids 0.75
Bass 0.65
Presence 0.55
Deep 0.5

Then a bit of delay and you should be good to go with a perfect legato tone in my opinion.

Please note that Diezel are very sensitive and extremely dynamic amps, so they would accentuate much more everything that happens on the fretboard!

Last edited:
So ya, that worked!!!! Thanks so much for the reply. I am thoroughly enjoying learning about the sounds that this amp can make but all of the options got me a little lost. Granted this is only day 2 of having the amp.
that simple setup and dialing in a delay I liked is fantastic! I boosted the gain a little as I like a VERY wet sound when practicing. Ill probably dial it back when recording. Thanks again!
Oh, I saw on another thread someone asking about beta testing. I would love to do that!

Back