Just saw Meshuggah on their North American tour date in LA

JimmyBlind

Been around for a long time for sure. Much longer than people give them credit for. Check out Adam Duce T-Shirt! Think I've seen Mike Patton talk about them in their Angel Dust era aswell.

Never been into that sound but your reviews has intrigued me to go listen again from a technical standpoint. I'd say Meshuggah accidentally spawned Djent but I wouldn't classify them as Djent as that genre has become over crowded with quantized everything, AxeFX presets, backing tracks, auto-tune, drum samples and usually recorded by a band member in their bed room. Good to see Meshuggah doing it raw \m/

Seeing them play "Bleed" live is still the heaviest, most insane thing I've ever seen live. I had a huge grin on my face the whole time because it was so heavy and so tight, that it was just silly. Hope to catch them again sometime!

I am REALLY looking forward to seeing them live. Problem is they don't have any dates scheduled yet for the Pacific Northwest.

ghosty999":7pmnisvy said:
Never been into that sound but your reviews has intrigued me to go listen again from a technical standpoint. I'd say Meshuggah accidentally spawned Djent but I wouldn't classify them as Djent as that genre has become over crowded with quantized everything, AxeFX presets, backing tracks, auto-tune, drum samples and usually recorded by a band member in their bed room. Good to see Meshuggah doing it raw \m/
Yeah I agree here. I can not stand much from the likes of Periphery or Animals as Leaders, etc. but dig some damn Meshuggah. Really are on just an insanely different level talent-wise. I got into them on Chaosphere. I don;t follow them much anymore but have yet to hear something from them I don't like.

Great review Reza, and dead on. Meshuggah is a motherfucking wrecking ball live, and have to be seen to be believed. They truly are in a league of their own.

Great review! How do you know about what gear they were using btw?

I've been a fan since the Nothing re-release and they are just on a different level of heaviness to any other "heavy" band out there. The new album is just amazing!

+1000 to everything Reza said. I was there at the Novo last night as well. They are absolutely incredible. And the sound was mixed perfectly. There is just nothing like Meshuggah live. Nothing :) saw BTBAM and Devin Townsend at the same venue just 2 weeks ago. Also incredible but honestly Meshuggah is another experience all together.

Speaking of Animals as Leaders, I bumped into Javier in the bathroom last night. I immediately recognized him and got all awkward :aww:

They are coming here soon, still not decided if I'm going or not, the venue is outdoors, and will be incredibly congested due to the way it's setup

Been digging Meshuggah since I saw Frederick jamming on the DAR FBM100

Saw them in Sweden a while back. It was a festival and they played during the day so it wasnt the best atmosphere but damn Meshuggah is amazing. They truly deliver with precision.

I am digging their new album so much. It's strangely hypnotic :D

I'm bummed that I missed this show. Meshuggah is without a doubt one of the best bands in the world.

I have heard of the band but never listened to any of their music.

(I know...BOOOOO HISSSSS) :LOL: :LOL:

What would be a few good starter songs to check them out for the first time?

I didn't think those Randall amps would get such praise from you, good to know they sound great. I'll have to check one out.

How do you think they fair against a Diezel ?

Don't really like this band but would definitely go see them live. I learned from seeing other bands live that were openers or just one of a bunch at festivals that even though I might not like there music enough to buy it or even listen regularly they can still be worth seeing live. Examples: Five Finger Death Punch and Slipknot. Really don't like their music but as a stage act, the presence, energy and sheer tightness of theses bands blew my mind. I would expect the same result from Meshuggah. Plus, I really dig High on Fire so it would be a win/win :D

Down loaded a few tracks to my headphone

Really really digging it :yes:
So much good music out there and a lot slips by me.
Honestly I have been turned on to some great great music from you guys.
See? It's not all hair metal. :LOL: :LOL:

I knew you had a 667, but I'm wondering how the Satan can be any good ? I would expect the actual Fortin NATAS to be fucking great, but I would imagine Randall nickel and dimeing it to death. I have a Herbert, Triple Rectifier, and a Mark III for the heavy stuff

The Meshuggah "guitar sound" is seriously all about the bass. They keep things much simpler than most expect, and all the djent kiddies have been doing it all wrong.

I'll be at the Silver Spring date. This will be my fourth time seeing them!

Back