JVM410H - what tubes?

kannibul

I bought my JVM410H several months back, and haven't even bothered changing the tubes or setting the bias (straight out of the box, plug in an rawk!)

So, now I'm thinking of getting a fresh set of tubes, and I'm not entirely sure which to go with....

I really liked the Ruby EL34BSTR in my TSL, as I also like the =C= SED's (which I think are stock?)...

In the preamp, I liked TungSol in my Plexi-build, went through JJ's, GT12AX7-M's, TungSol, and settled pretty much on the Shuguang C9's (I think those are the stock tubes?)...though, my guitarist just re-tubed his DSL100 with EH 12AX7's and EL34BSTR and it's sounding pretty mean...

Never looked, sounded good out of the box and never bothered to check anything :scared:

I do need to look into this as well as my tubes are over two years old and have some mileage on them. Weird thing, I dimed the gain on OD1 while screwing around with single coils and the tone got real bassy, not sure if that is normal or not :confused: Never had the gain past 1:00 before.

PLus I still have to replace my MK IV power tubes after smoking two of them :thumbsdown: Maybe I should just go axefx :LOL: :LOL:

I have had incredible results with my NOS Siemens/RFT EL34's. You can get a quad for relatively cheap compared to othr NOS stuff and they are the closest you can get to a Mullard XF2 without dropping serious coin. As far as preamp tubes go, I went with RFT ECC83's (in V1 and V2) because they seem to darken the amp just a bit. I absolutely did not like the Tung Sol reissues in that amp. Made the hi gain tone very fuzzy, IMO. Just my $.02... :thumbsup:

killertone":bblt0piu said:
I have had incredible results with my NOS Siemens/RFT EL34's. You can get a quad for relatively cheap compared to othr NOS stuff and they are the closest you can get to a Mullard XF2 without dropping serious coin. As far as preamp tubes go, I went with RFT ECC83's because they seem to darken the amp just a bit. I absolutely did not like the Tung Sol reissues in that amp. Made the hi gain tone very fuzzy, IMO. Just my $.02... :thumbsup:

NOS isn't my thing. Too expensive for an "unknown" - both in terms of sound and quality/longevity. Seems today they're "NOS" when they only "test as new" - meaning they could be 100,000 miles on those tires, but hey, they still have tread and hold air...

I figured as much on the TungSol RI's - might be too much on top. C9's are probably what are in there, which they're kind of rounded on top...

Back