KH Guitars - The Quija like models

FixXxer

Been researching the KH signatures, and really like teh looks of the Quija.

I had a chance to play one at guitar center and it was not half bad, but they did not have the NON Quija ESP (not LTD) neck through to compare it too.

i was pleasantly surprised how bad assed it was. I am partial to neck throughs.

Can anyone elaborate on the pros or cons? I think its a killer guitar. Same woods as the ESP, but don't know what I am leaving on the table getting the LTP VS the ESP KH (non Quija)

Im surprised Kirk is still playing the Ouija models. From what i hear, it told him from beyond the grave to ditch the wah.

I almost bought one. But I can't play one first. I'll be honest, I had an order in, then withdrew it because of the ebony board. Why? It's not exactly like Kirk's. Yeah, that's fanboish, but hey, it's a Sig. I want a neck-thru Ouija with a rosewood board. I don't care about the moons/islam/crescent deal. It's just, hey, keep it the same woods. That's where the tone is.

I have a bolt-on KH2 that I think is a phenomenal guitar. It's a tried and true tonewood combo - alder/maple/rosewood bolt-on with humbuckers. I'd think for 7K or more, I should be getting a Ouija maple neck thru with alder wings and a Brazilian rosewood board, plus all the graphics.

So, I'm passing. All I know is that my bolt-on sounds huge, complex, brilliant. So it's hard to justify getting spendy over a guitar with some graphics but the wrong woods and possibly an overly bright tone. Just like I passed on the 20th - the maple top. I also have tonal concerns - ebony boards to me influence the tone in a noticeable way. As do maple tops.

BleedingEdge":gf7oe82b said:
I almost bought one. But I can't play one first. I'll be honest, I had an order in, then withdrew it because of the ebony board. Why? It's not exactly like Kirk's. Yeah, that's fanboish, but hey, it's a Sig. I want a neck-thru Ouija with a rosewood board. I don't care about the moons/islam/crescent deal. It's just, hey, keep it the same woods. That's where the tone is.

I have a bolt-on KH2 that I think is a phenomenal guitar. It's a tried and true tonewood combo - alder/maple/rosewood bolt-on with humbuckers. I'd think for 7K or more, I should be getting a Ouija maple neck thru with alder wings and a Brazilian rosewood board, plus all the graphics.

So, I'm passing. All I know is that my bolt-on sounds huge, complex, brilliant. So it's hard to justify getting spendy over a guitar with some graphics but the wrong woods and possibly an overly bright tone. Just like I passed on the 20th - the maple top. I also have tonal concerns - ebony boards to me influence the tone in a noticeable way. As do maple tops.

The LTD, does not have ebony... hence why I am interested.....

BleedingEdge":2d2qqudm said:

I got one of the original neck thru ones with the Double star 24th fret and Islam cresents plus the rosewood.

I am glad I did not get a new one it also has a seperate battery compartment as well which is teh suck.

LTD I hear is decent.

DSC00286.jpg

how do this guitars feel like? the board? is it a strat radious or a Les Paul? something in between? fat neck thin neck?

I will try and give a little info, i currently own 8 esp guitars and 3 are kh models.
from experiance with ltd,esp, and esp custom shop alot of the times they have the same specs but that doesnt mean they sound and feel the same, i had 3 versions of the laiho model, the ltd was pretty nice for the price but compared to the esp sig series version it didnt have as much clarity, wasnt as resonate and had less sustain and compared to the custom shop version of the same guitar the custom shop version was a step up in every area in tone feel and attention to detail. i had all 3 at the same time and went back and forth quite often but in the end as much as i wanted to sell the custom and keep the ltd i could justify the price difference and i sold the ltd. i also sold the sig series version too, most of my esp are custom shop. i caqn definately tell the difference in the feel, attention to detail, the tone and time spent in building the guitars.

ltd are made in korea and use lesser quality woods and materials, for the money they can be very nice guitars and i have owned and played many, some good and some bad.
i played a ltd ouija a few weeks ago and it was very nice but i wouldnt pay the 1400 they were asking for it, i would rather just buy a kh2.

the esp custom version of the ouija is very nice, kirk has been seen playing the newer version in white and black with teh ebony board and mirror inlays, i have a kh20 and that is around the same price as the ouija and its one of the finest built guitars i have ever had my hands on, i wouldnt say i think its worth 10k but at the price i paid i think its worth it, its also one of the best sounding guitars i have ever played, im not just saying it because i own it either. when it comes to guitars i dont care about the cost if its really cheap or expensive, if i can afford it and like it i will buy it, i have had many expensive guitars that have been sold because i found something alot cheaper. i owned a few expensive guitars that just sounded dead and sold them because a expensive price doesnt always mean its better, so you really need to try one out before you buy, everytime time with esp i have gotten a great sounding guitar from the custom shop, i cant say the same for their ltd and standard series stuff. i have had gibson and prs that i have good and bad dealing woth also, but from what i have seen with the esp custom shop they are pretty consistant. i cant say the same for ltd.

esp is asking too much for the ouija, iron cross and kh20 at 9 and 10k. i personally wouldnt pay those prices. but i have seen them cheaper than that and if you shop around you will find the prices are better.

so yes theres a difference in the time spent building, the fretword, the quality of the woods, the feel, and the other materials, you get what you pay for. others can disagree and thats fine, i only speak of what i have experianced in owning esp and ltd over the years.

zao":3o8whbpr said:
i played a ltd ouija a few weeks ago and it was very nice but i wouldnt pay the 1400 they were asking for it, i would rather just buy a kh2.

Thanks for the post, that was everything I was looking for!!!!!!!!!!!

Im glad it helped, like i said before, its a nice guitar but my gc as was asking 1400 and i can get a used kh2 bolt on for 1000 to 1200 and it was a better guitar or for about 1800 you can look for a used kh2 neckthru. if you want a new kh2 its gonna cost around 2k but still will be a better guitar than the ltd. i guess maybe ina few years the ouija could be like the grynch and het models and maybe go up in price since its limited. grynch was a ltd and cost about 1k new and now sells for around 1800, and we all know how much the jh1,jh2,jh3 and old ouija went up alot.

zao":3puo7wex said:
Im glad it helped, like i said before, its a nice guitar but my gc as was asking 1400 and i can get a used kh2 bolt on for 1000 to 1200 and it was a better guitar or for about 1800 you can look for a used kh2 neckthru. if you want a new kh2 its gonna cost around 2k but still will be a better guitar than the ltd. i guess maybe ina few years the ouija could be like the grynch and the models and maybe go up in price since its limited. grynch was a ltd and cost about 1k new and now sells for around 1800, and we all know how much the jh1,jh2,jh3 and old ouija went up alot.

I hear yah, but I want a better playing guitar not an investment. If I can score a used KH2 NT at a fair price in the future, I'd be all over it.

ideally if I can play them both side by side, that would help me...

I know how I am. All my gibsons are custom shops with the exception of a Joe Perry 1997 sig.... SO I know what you are saying, but I am not paying astronomical prices for guitars anymore, based on principle. I'l hit the used market on a go forward unless there is something I really like.

Back