Kicking off pickup prototyping again - 14k/A2 is first up

scottosan

To this date, outside of my neck pickups, I've not used any A2 magnets. Mainly due to the market trend of tight, articulate, agrees pickups A2s just aren't the best choice for that in many rigs. That said, they do what they do really well. As opposed to A5s, while they are a weaker magnet from a gauss/transductance standpoint, they make the wind itself hotter by increasing the inductance, and as such lowers the resonant peak. So, it never about just the magnet being weaker. To my ears, A2 always has more sag and saturation.

This pickup is completely different than the similar spec on paper Sunset Strip. Different amount of winds and different wind pattern. The model remains unnamed. Its a 14.4k/A2. Plenty hot, great feel and dynamics, easy harmonics, juicy single notes without giving up too much clarity on rhythm parts.

Next, I'll be working on completing the WD Forte and a new ceramic in the 12-14k range, mainly for progressive players

Volume was moderate, no earplugs needed. Cab was Greenbacks, through my Roccaforte C80

Last edited:
I had a Jalen that was ~14k and A2 and it did sound good but I wanted a more crispy/fast attack. It sounded a little different than I expected going in, maybe due to that increased inductance you were talking about. I almost expected it to be dull in the top but it wasn't.

Oh yeah...sun's out... :cool:

Back