KSR: Ares vs Ceres or Vesta w/PA50

moondread

I’m in the market to get back into the amp world. I’ve been bouncing between digital and tube amps and the pendulum has swung back towards amps.

I had a Ceres and loved it but have never played one of Kyle’s amps. Has anyone compared the Ares (or any KSR amp for that matter) to a Ceres or Vesta into a PA50? I’m curious as to how the sound and feel compare.

I'm curious as well. I guess really the question is , what amp corresponds closest to the blue channel , and white channel on the ceres. I like the blue channel the best, sorta wish it had 2 blue channels honestly. Sometimes I find the white channel a little to smooth for my lead sound.

I love my ceres though. Thing sounds bad ass through a tube amp

Ok guys, I have bought the Ceres twice, a vesta, a PA50 an orthos mk2, and an Ares. I sold my PA50 Ceres rig to get an Ares. I've also played a Gemini.

The Gemini is a lot of amp. Lots of options but too much for me. I actually prefer the Ceres/PA50 vs the Orthos but the Ares is my favorite of all and my current amp. I got mine with the clean mod which isn't fender clean but a little bit of grit. Almost like a non cranked plexi.

I know the Orthos is supposed to be just a two channel Ares but the Ares seems to be a little more pissed off and a bit more saturation. It maybe parts tolerances or tubes that are adding the little bit of mojo.

If you got a Ceres and PA50 rig I don't think you are missing out on a whole hell of a lot. Personally I prefer the head format as well as having Kyle's effects loop. But the Ceres and PA50 isn't too far behind. You can just dial back the gain a little bit better plus a little more options with the feel knob.

You can't go wrong with either. The vesta was a little looser than what I typically go for. Not bad and not hugely different but what was different wasn't suited for me.

The PA50 with the NFB and top and bottom controls are going to add more of the KSR tone vs a powerstage. The tube powersection and NFB goes a long way. If going with a Ceres the PA50 is a no brainer and the best option that I have tried with it (over powerstation, other amps effect return, direct)

Ok guys, I have bought the Ceres twice, a vesta, a PA50 an orthos mk2, and an Ares. I sold my PA50 Ceres rig to get an Ares. I've also played a Gemini.

The Gemini is a lot of amp. Lots of options but too much for me. I actually prefer the Ceres/PA50 vs the Orthos but the Ares is my favorite of all and my current amp. I got mine with the clean mod which isn't fender clean but a little bit of grit. Almost like a non cranked plexi.

I know the Orthos is supposed to be just a two channel Ares but the Ares seems to be a little more pissed off and a bit more saturation. It maybe parts tolerances or tubes that are adding the little bit of mojo.

If you got a Ceres and PA50 rig I don't think you are missing out on a whole hell of a lot. Personally I prefer the head format as well as having Kyle's effects loop. But the Ceres and PA50 isn't too far behind. You can just dial back the gain a little bit better plus a little more options with the feel knob.

You can't go wrong with either. The vesta was a little looser than what I typically go for. Not bad and not hugely different but what was different wasn't suited for me.
Thank you so much for the insight! I’m leaning Ares and the head format in general but am still considering the Ceres/PA50 for two reasons. One is the price in that the Ares head is more expensive and two is the ability to change preamp pedals and therefore get different sounds/styles with just a pedal swap.

That said, I’m more tempted by the Ares. Regarding the effects loop, can you patch the send and return together and use the loop as a boost with the level controls?

Follow up question...can you get a decent clean from a non clean mod Ares? I don’t need sparkling clean just cleanish with some grit.

i thought i answered these but i guess i didnt hit reply. the clean has a bit of dirt in it think of a marshall jcm with the gain dialed 25% As far as the loop I havent tried but you can change the send and return levels of the loop and use a foot switch to turn it off and on so you could probably use it for a solo boost

Back