KSR Gemini and Herbert MKIII

NateFreezy

Both of these are on my list and both look like great amps. I'm looking for a versatile metal machine for my home studio, so realistically has to perform well at lower volumes. I have a Fryette Power Station to be able to open up a bit, but my experience on the VH4 was I actually preferred the amp without. Also would like a good clean channel and a general plus for versatility. In terms of metal, I play all kinds (old school thrash to modern death metal) and tunings from standard E down to drop Ab on a 7-string. Definitely looking for something that holds up well with modern metal / tight rhythms in different (included lower) tunings.

I don't know if anyone will have played both of these yet given the MKIII is pretty new, but curious if people have any thoughts on what to consider to try to figure out which way to go...

Thanks!

FWIW, I don't have a KSR, but I do have a MkII Herbert. From what I've heard, the MkIII isn't terribly different, the main difference being able to program the +/- switch on channel 2.

Anyway, while the Herbert is deservedly known for being a great metal amp, it's incredibly versatile, too. Overall, I hear some Hiwatt in its punchiness. It's definitely a European amp, but has its own sound. The clean channel is capable of everything from pristine crystalline cleans to warm, thick jazz tones. Channel 2- is a thing of beauty. Very touch-sensitive. Channel 2+ can get beastly, but can still easily get into vintage 70s and heavier 80s tones. I spend a lot of time on this channel. Channel 3 is thicker and more compressed, which is a great thing for leads. Every channel is capable of tight, crushing low end. Every channel has incredible clarity.

For me, the trick is to not overuse the mid-cut. It's easy to dial in any of the channels to sound good with it or without it. This isn't to say that its difficult to get great sounds by turning up the channel mids, then cutting them with the mid-cut. Lots of tonal shaping options. If you've ever used a Pultec EQ, it's not dissimilar from the boost and cut on the low band to really dial in the low end, although obviously, with the Herbert, it's the mids.

Some people report difficulty getting them to cut in a live mix, but that's never been a problem for me. The Herbert has plenty of upper-mids and highs. But, as I mentioned above, it is easy to get carried away with the mid-cut, which can cause problems in a mix. It's also very responsive to the guitar/pickup being used. The personality of the guitar comes through, no matter how high the gain is set. I find it cuts better with full-bodied low to mid output pickups, but it does sound good with hot pups, too.

And it sounds really good at low levels, too, since the majority of the Herbert's sound is created in the pre-amp, along with a high-headroom, punchy output section. It does sound its best when it's opened up a little, but I don't ever find the need to use an attenuator. It records really well, too.

The thing I love the most about the Herbert is that it always sounds like a Diezel, unapologetically. It's as versatile as any amp I've ever owned or played.

You might also want to take a look at the Boogie Mark Series, too. I've heard great things about their newer JP2C, and I've got a MkIV, MkIII, Studio Pre, Quad Pre, and Triaxis. They are all incredible sounding amps that do a lot more than just metal. They're certainly very versatile, too.

In any case, good luck with your search. There are a lot of KSR owners here, so I'm sure someone who owns both KSR and Diezel will chime in. I really don't think you'd go wrong with either of them!

I've had a few Diezels (VH4 and Einstein and I've played Herberts) and currently have some KSRs (Gemini and Ares).

The KSRs are not as compressed. The Diezels have an interesting attack and feel. The KSRs are like everything that's right about the SLO/Rectifier/5150 line of amps put into one. They are great for a modern crushing high-gain sound without the overbearing compression. You can dial them in more or less compressed easy enough. Their attack is immediate and the low-end is tight. But you can also sort of dig into them and feel them bounce a little bit. The Diezels do not. They are surgical. VH4 Channel 3 is still one of my all time favs though. The Ares is way more angry and pissed off sounding than any Diezel though. The Gemini is a bit darker. I like the clean channel on the Gemini, but from memory maybe the Diezel cleans (at least on the Einstein) were a tiny bit more lush.

I think the Herbert is slightly scooped compared to the KSRs. Even with the mids pushed on the EQ.

Hard to go wrong with any of 'em. They're all versatile and handle low tunings well.

Thanks a lot guys, helpful feedback.

How do KSRs (the Gemini in particular) do at low volume? I've read a lot that the Herbert does really well (and ChurchHill confirmed above), but know less about KSRs on that front.

Not much to add from above. I had my Herbert and Gemini did by side. Both are great amps but the Gemini through the Fryette cab was crushing. I’d take it over the Herbert. Ultimately though, both were sold because I preferred my UL.

4tEHtze.jpg

I just sold an Ares and it was a great low volume amp. Like any tube amp they sound better turned up and sound great when cranked, but the KSR I had was better than most at low volume. I had an MKI Herbert and would say the Ares was better at low volumes. The Herbert was still great though.

mhenson42":2kum9zfr said:
Not much to add from above. I had my Herbert and Gemini did by side. Both are great amps but the Gemini through the Fryette cab was crushing. I’d take it over the Herbert. Ultimately though, both were sold because I preferred my UL.

I have the same amps. Keeping them all. Each one kicks ass.

If i had to let two go,the only reason I'd keep the UL is it was a birthday present from my mom and sister. Otherwise,I'd keep the Gemini. It's my second favorite amp. The UL and Herbert are 3 and 4 respectively.

rottingcorpse":2brkykd5 said:
mhenson42":2brkykd5 said:

If i had to let two go,the only reason I'd keep the UL is it was a birthday present from my mom and sister. Otherwise,I'd keep the Gemini. It's my second favorite amp. The UL and Herbert are 3 and 4 respectively.

Whats your number one?

Not played the new MK3 Herbert... but have had both the MK1 & MK2 Herberts and Gemini. They are more similar than not. The Gemini being closer to a modified Rectifier/SLO/Uberschall sound... the Herbert being a bit more compressed, produced, and smoother sounding and has it's own sound altogether. The Gemini is a darker, bit grainier/raw sound. The Gemini is a very dark sounding amp all around (so if you don't like dark amps, be warned) and very thick/chunky. I'd probably go with the MK3 Herbert between the two... but for the overall thick, bottom heavy, chuggastic modern metal rhythm sound a good Mesa Rev C- Rev F Triple Rectifier with an od pedal is my pick for that sound.

Wizard of Ozz":16j6mtu2 said:
Not played the new MK3 Herbert... but have had both the MK1 & MK2 Herberts and Gemini. They are more similar than not. The Gemini being closer to a modified Rectifier/SLO/Uberschall sound... the Herbert being a bit more compressed, produced, and smoother sounding and has it's own sound altogether. The Gemini is a darker, bit grainier/raw sound. The Gemini is a very dark sounding amp all around (so if you don't like dark amps, be warned) and very thick/chunky. I'd probably go with the MK3 Herbert between the two... but for the overall thick, bottom heavy, chuggastic modern metal rhythm sound a good Mesa Rev C- Rev F Triple Rectifier with an od pedal is my pick for that sound.
This excites me...

peterc52":227g2wtz said:
rottingcorpse":227g2wtz said:
mhenson42":227g2wtz said:

Whats your number one?

DAR FBM

I've had the Herbert MkI and the KSR Artemis II. Both are awesome amps, cream of the crop. I don't think there's a whole lot of difference between the three Marks. The Artemis is the rack version of the Colossus with the Gemeni being a more straight forward version.

I had the Herbert first, it was a dream amp for me, but the KSR really took it's place for me. It has that sound that just burns and can reach anywhere. I agree with the above statements that the Herbert is more scoop sounding than the KSR with the same settings, it's just EQ'd that way and is the Diezel sound. It's a great sound.

I have a Fryette PS2 and both play great through it and sound good at low volumes without it. I mainly play through a Suhr Reactive Load into a Cab IR and my Studio Monitors, it sound great.

This was my KSR on the Blue mode (mode 2 of four with 4 being most gain) with pretty neutral settings (gain about 11 o'clock, Bright switch on). Was driving with a Messner OD and Savage Drive also very low settings just to add a little grit.

Back