Ktre vs Nitro advice needed please!

A local Mom and Pop store has a used Rivera Knucklehead Ktre 100 that I am considering (incidentally, what would be a good asking price for one of these amps?).

I love the gain on tap of this amp as well as its low end and its overall layout. I have been gassing for a Splawn Nitro for about 2 years but I can't bring myself to take the plunge since I have never tried one before.

My question is how would these to amps compare, particularly in the low end dept? I tried a new Triple Rec the same day I messed around with the Ktre and the Rivera's low end held its own and overall I liked the voicing to it more. I'm guessing that the Ktre has more gain than a Nitro but that's not a huge concern for me as the Ktre has almost too much gain.

Opinions and tirades are welcome :rock:

I've owned both. Currently have a Kt88 Nitro that I bought new a couple of months ago. The prefer the Nitro over the Ktre. The Nitro is tighter, has more low-end and more punch. The ktre has more of a saturated sizzle going on while the Nitro is more dry. The Nitro has a ton of gain, but the dryness makes it seem less than the ktre. Don't ask me about cleans....I don't bother with them. Both amps are extremely loud. The build quality on Riveras is top notch - though they don't fetch much on resale. I wouldn't pay more than $1000 for a used Ktre - and that's pushing it these days. If you like the amp, it's probably better to go with it over something you think you might like.

mhenson42":2nry6vz6 said:
I've owned both. Currently have a Kt88 Nitro that I bought new a couple of months ago. The prefer the Nitro over the Ktre. The Nitro is tighter, has more low-end and more punch. The ktre has more of a saturated sizzle going on while the Nitro is more dry. The Nitro has a ton of gain, but the dryness makes it seem less than the ktre. Don't ask me about cleans....I don't bother with them. Both amps are extremely loud. The build quality on Riveras is top notch - though they don't fetch much on resale. I wouldn't pay more than $1000 for a used Ktre - and that's pushing it these days. If you like the amp, it's probably better to go with it over something you think you might like.

Thanks for your comments. The local store wants 1400 but said they might be flexible on the price as it has been sitting there for a while. I hope they don't laugh at me if I offer 1k.

Ricky Rockhardo":32d0q6ft said:
mhenson42":32d0q6ft said:

Thanks for your comments. The local store wants 1400 but said they might be flexible on the price as it has been sitting there for a while. I hope they don't laugh at me if I offer 1k.

That $1k is forum pricing. It'll cost you more from a store. If it's in perfect condition, $1200 tops otherwise I'd wait for a used one to come up. Call Guitar Resurrection in Austin TX. They have a dead mint used one that they'd probably do a nice price on. It was one a customer bought and traded back in after a month.

I was able to pick up a K Tre for just over $1100 w/tax, used at a GC, so I know you can do better than $1400. I've never played a Splawn, so I can't really add anything beyond what you already know from playing the Rivera yourself. It did end up being 'too much gain' for me,and I sold it to my son (for < $800, spoiled little bastard :D ) and I went with a Carvin Legacy. The K Tre has plenty of cut, but not enough girth for the sounds I have been going for.

Back