Les Paul + Suhr Aldrich + Wizard = Win

Nitrobattery

I fractured my left wrist at the end of October, and I'm just now getting to the point where I can start pushing my playing a little again. I teach about 40 guitar lessons per week, so it's been...interesting.

I decided to fire up my 1996 Wizard Modern Classic and see if I could do any Zakk style vibrato yet, and good grief I love how this combo sounds.
The guitar is a 1979 Les Paul Custom that I had refretted with jumbo stainless steel frets and it's just a monster. It's loaded with 500k pots and Suhr Aldrich pickups and just sounds huge. There really is something special about these maple necked Norlin era LP's. The Wizard, from what I'm told, is really similar to Hetfield's main Wizard that he's used in the studio since the 90's. If any of you Wizard gurus have any more info about it, I'd love to know more.

Second to that.... !!! I played my gibson LP thru UL and Wizard with the burstbuckers on my R8 and duncan antiquity on R7 hear hear the most open aggresssive tone ever....

Sounds great and good luck with the healing!

By the way, I just realized you're the same one that did a really sick demo of the Friedman BE-OD several years back (y)

Sounds like it healed up pretty good! Any exercises in your physical therapy that you think are helpful specifically for that?

Probably not teaching 40 guitar lessons every week would've helped immensely! :doh:

Sounds great and good luck with the healing!

By the way, I just realized you're the same one that did a really sick demo of the Friedman BE-OD several years back (y)

Thanks! Yep, that was me. I used to do product demos for a retailer, but that was something that I ended up doing for my own neglected YouTube channel. I enjoy making videos, but I don't really know if the world needs another YouTube gear guy. As soon as I figure out my schtick, I'll start working on that channel more. It'll likely be some sort of fusion of dry Monty Python humor and tutorials on how I tend to just accidentally make every amp sound the same. Riveting stuff.

Pretty hard to argue with that combination of great pieces for some outstanding tone.

Glad you are recovering well!

Thanks! It's been a slower recovery than I would've liked, but I'm getting there.

After not being able to do a lot of playing outside of teaching and mostly using digital amp solutions for Zoom lessons, it was fun to fire this thing up and go for it. It's also cool thinking about how this guitar is 45 years old and the amp is pushing 30. I'm sure a lot of cool music was made on these before they came to me, and hopefully a lot of cool music will continue to be made on them long after I'm gone.

Super nice playing. Gives me hope. I broke my right shoulder (neck of the humerus precisely) while snowboarding about three weeks ago. Just had the surgical staples removed. Still cannot move my arm much without a lot of pain. Needless to say I won't be able to play guitar for a bit. Surely I'll have to go thru a lot of physical therapy to get back to normal. I fear it's gonna take a long time. I don't mind pain but not being able to play guitar at all really irks me.

Super nice playing. Gives me hope. I broke my right shoulder (neck of the humerus precisely) while snowboarding about three weeks ago. Just had the surgical staples removed. Still cannot move my arm much without a lot of pain. Needless to say I won't be able to play guitar for a bit. Surely I'll have to go thru a lot of physical therapy to get back to normal. I fear it's gonna take a long time. I don't mind pain but not being able to play guitar at all really irks me.
Ouch!!! Hope you have a speedy recovery. Until then, there's always the keyboard/synth world. ;)

bummer man! hope you heal quickly and fully.
of all the board sports i’ve done snowboarding is by far the heaviest slam festival.

Oh man! Wishing you a speedy recovery!
@Nitrobattery about to pull the trigger on 57110 stainless on my 02 LP Classic. Dig em on the Suhr Satin Flame.
Anything else to consider while having it done?
Nice! Yeah that's what did it for me too. I have a few Suhrs and the stainless frets are just so smooth that I decided to refret this one with them too. My bridge had also collapsed, so all in one shot I did the frets, graphite nut, TonePros bridge, swapped the pots and put in the Aldrich pickups. I still have the original pickups that sound GREAT, I just need to get them potted. Super microphonic.

bummer man! hope you heal quickly and fully.
of all the board sports i’ve done snowboarding is by far the heaviest slam festival.

Kinda took me by surprise. Been snowboarding since 1986 and neve broke a bone even once despite numerous dumb stunts over the years. Maybe bones are getting weaker after 50...

Oh man! Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Thanks ! Feel free to post other Zakk covers. Much appreciated !

“That’s no ordinary rabbit. Looooooook!”

Paraphrasing from memory. On board with the Monty Python. EDIT: missed a giant ellipses in there.(n)

Back