Let's go Guitar Shopping! I gots $500 to spend - what should I get?

GearGasms

Doctor Love
What guitar would you buy of these under $500 guitars? Can you get a decent new guitar for that kind of money? Can you get a better deal in a local store or online? We are going to Earle Teat Music in Delmar, Delaware and we have a $500 to purchase a new, major brand name guitar. Will we have success? Come on this guitar safari with me and let's buy something really, really cool!
As long as it's under $500....
Have a Mediocre Weekend!
alan

Reactions: Geo
Not a pawn shop - a guitar store with new guitars. And they don't carry ESP so I had to pick from what they had. Which was a lot. The guitar had to be new and not used. Also, no sales tax in DE so $499 stays $499! ESP is great in that price range though!

Should be easy to get two stringed instruments for $500 in your neck of the woods. Never realized Delmar, DE was so rural!

Last edited:
I would buy used on Craigslist. I don’t know the parameters for your purchase, but $500 used will get you a LOT more guitar than $500 new. Some older Ibanez could be found and they will be good guitars.

I played one of those PRS SE semi hollows a few months back. The local music store was selling for a bit less than $800 out the door. I kid you not, this guitar kicked and punched it’s way far outside of its price range. Im sure the pickups aren’t the best but those could be replaced later on if they aren’t to your liking.

Here is one on reverb for $500

https://reverb.com/item/61014434-prs-se-custom-22-semihollow-2018-charcoal-gray
Here is another, it’s a bit more, but you could offer them $500. Perhaps they will accept the offer? The one I played was a 2021 or 22. It was great.

https://reverb.com/item/61053027-2021-prs-se-custom-22-semi-hollow-present-santana-yellow
I have never seen another guitar be so good for it’s price range, well, that and a used older Ibanez.

Maybe I’m way off the mark and I didn’t pay attention to your parameters. But, these are great guitars for the money, I mean, really good. If I was ever going to go the budget guitar route I would grab one of these and replace the pickups.

I got my EVH Wolf Std. for $499 new at the local GC. They're $649 now. No case, but then another GC here had a new EVH Wolf OHSC for $29, which I bought. I don't know why it was so cheap, but I took it. I think I recall seeing a used or returned Wolf Std. for $350ish about two yrs. ago at the local GC. That's a lot of guitar for the money.

I played a couple of the MM Sterling Cutlasses that played real nice for the money. A used PRS SE would be another good
option. I have a Zach Myres SE and love it.
585C5217-9BCF-44C4-A8F1-9E5E03D25DD5.jpeg

Back