Lexicon noodlin'...

Beautiful sounds. The Rosenthal and Gershin cards are near impossible to find these days.
Tomorrow my PCM 80 returns back home from the shop where it was serviced. New battery soldered in, two new display capacitors, cleaned sockets, encoders, pots and connectors. Rep at AME said they have a guy there who likes to work on Lexicons, hence the quick turnaround time, about two weeks there and back.
Now I'll have some time to dig into the 80 while the H8000 is out for some work. Happy that Eventide still services them.

Beautiful sounds. The Rosenthal and Gershin cards are near impossible to find these days.
Tomorrow my PCM 80 returns back home from the shop where it was serviced. New battery soldered in, two new display capacitors, cleaned sockets, encoders, pots and connectors. Rep at AME said they have a guy there who likes to work on Lexicons, hence the quick turnaround time, about two weeks there and back.
Now I'll have some time to dig into the 80. Then sending out the H8000 for for some work. Happy that Eventide still services them.

The Rosenthal presets are in my Revelation Collection as a free bonus. Consider it.
Glad you had your PCM serviced! Hopefully changing those two caps made it. In my experience when one notices issues on the display it's already too late and changing the caps doesn't fix the problem. If you already had a "watery" display.... you may have to change it anyway. I'm curious about the encoders. Any way to know which part they used? I have a different one that works great but needs a lot of filing work to resize.
What's the problem with the H8000?

All the patches used for your noodling sound terrible as usual, David. Not! :rock:

You are absolutely right and I apologize. Sorry!
:shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Now... a bit of thinking...
Truth is a lot of people, most of then, don't know what the delivered potential of their gear already IS, without even talking about programming.
By "delivered" I mean what's already available to the end user, without even touching the Edit button. So factory presets!
Take the PCM80/81. The whole factory presets amount tops at 760 among internal presets, algorithms cards and presets cards.
That's a pretty big number of programs, covering a lot of ground. 1000 presets on a fully expanded Eventide H3000/3500. Close to 2000 on an Orville or H8000... so much stuff in there you won't believe!
How many time in years of use we discover a simple factory preset that does something we once needed and didn't know it was there, in front of us? So... know your tools well, right?
In these few examples are some great presets.... the OrbitLes Chorus is amazing at replicating Gilmour's Doppola leslies and Yamaha RA-200 speakers... not an easy efx to program! No Quarter? That fast vibrato/tremolo/autopanning from "Houses of the Holy" is another classic one.
And the PCM42s chorus and delays tweaks are excellent too. Those are there, on the card. No need to program, maybe just a light tweak to fit personal taste or needs but that's it.
I really suggest folks to go thru their gear presets and check what you already have available. Make some notes about your findings and you'll have what you need/when you need it. Forgetting is very easy!

when one notices issues on the display it's already too late and changing the caps doesn't fix the problem. If you already had a "watery" display.... you may have to change it anyway. I'm curious about the encoders. Any way to know which part they used?
What's the problem with the H8000?
The display wasn't watery but noticeably dimmer than the display on my 81 which is pretty bright. I wanted to nip in the bud any future problem. They replaced two caps, a 330 microfarad 35v and a 22 microfarad 63v on the display. Other than the battery, those are the only parts on the invoice (yay). The encoders were just cleaned from what I can tell.
A lot of error messages on the 8000 - address error (E12), illegal instruction (EO), zero divide, split text, white screen. I bought it from the original owner and it seemed to be in excellent condition, about 300 hours on it, but I'm sending it in for a checkup.

Back