Looking for a Carry Hammer Fire Pistol.

skoora

Not sure I’m bonding with the ergonomics of my CZ P07, even though it shoots very accurately. Curious about some other HF guns to think about that aren’t crazy prices. Not looking at 1911’s. Plus it would be for carry, so full size is not great. The top of the range I’ve looked at is the Sig P229 that’s about 1K (trigger on the legion was butter but too expensive) but also curious about the H&K P2000. Have held a P30 before but never shot one. I’ve only shot a VP9. What other makers am I missing, ideally between 400 and 800?. I already have a Walther striker fire but like the idea of one in the chamber by my boys with a DA first pull.

Smith and Wesson CSX. Aluminum frame, hammer fired, 12+1, 3.1" barrel. No optic cut.

MSRP $600
Thanks…looks like it would too small for me and is SA only. The Walther I’ve got is a PDP compact so around that size and the size of the p07 is good for me. In that factory 15 capacity area. Another I just thought of… Any experience with the Beretta PX4?

It’s getting pricy but I also found the FN FNX in 9mm. This might me getting a little big on the grip as it can do 17 but barrel is 4”.

Thanks…looks like it would too small for me and is SA only. The Walther I’ve got is a PDP compact so around that size and the size of the p07 is good for me. In that factory 15 capacity area. Another I just thought of… Any experience with the Beretta PX4?
No, but plenty of people like it. I'm a Beretta shotgun fan, but I don't think much of their handguns.

If you go the P30 route ( which is a good one), you'll want to swap out the trigger with a Grayguns kit ( Trigger and springs) and you'll want the short reset kit too.

I always get a kick out of online reviews where they say how great a gun is and then in the next breath describe the trigger they’re going to put in it. From my small amount of experience so far, the trigger is the vast majority of what makes a gun a pleasure to shoot. The Canik I used to have and the PDP I have now, just fantastic factory triggers, so to me, they’re great guns. It’s like guitars and amps. If I have to do a mod that costs half to 1/3 as much as the guitar or amp to make it great, it wasn’t great to begin with. I like mods where I don’t need to do it, I just want to do it.
It‘s a reason why as much as Glocks are lauded for reliability, I have no interest because of the factory trigger. Really it’s all Canik‘s fault because my first gun had such a good trigger, it planted it in my mind, this is what I should expect and more, in guns that cost more.

I always get a kick out of online reviews where they say how great a gun is and then in the next breath describe the trigger they’re going to put in it. From my small amount of experience so far, the trigger is the vast majority of what makes a gun a pleasure to shoot. The Canik I used to have and the PDP I have now, just fantastic factory triggers, so to me, they’re great guns. It’s like guitars and amps. If I have to do a mod that costs half to 1/3 as much as the guitar or amp to make it great, it wasn’t great to begin with. I like mods where I don’t need to do it, I just want to do it.
It‘s a reason why as much as Glocks are lauded for reliability, I have no interest because of the factory trigger. Really it’s all Canik‘s fault because my first gun had such a good trigger, it planted it in my mind, this is what I should expect and more, in guns that cost more.
Strikers almost all have crap triggers in them by design. Exceptions are Walther PPQ and PDP, HK VP9, IWI Masada Slim. And even those triggers aren't going to compare to a tuned 1911 trigger.

As for modding the trigger, HK hammer guns, particularly the P30, has a heavy trigger. First order of business is the Grayguns treatment. I'll take a P30L over any Canik anyday.

Appreciate the feedback. I don’t lIke the way it is, considering the cost on a lot of these guns but I guess you start to budget accordingly knowing you’ll probably do x after buying it.

Appreciate the feedback. I don’t lIke the way it is, considering the cost on a lot of these guns but I guess you start to budget accordingly knowing you’ll probably do x after buying it.
Well, we are men. Look at what we do to guitars and amps.

For the record, other than 1911s and an HK P30L, all my handgun triggers are stock. I'm really not a trigger snob. That big hook of a trigger on the P30 is horrendous though and had to go. So I put a GG flat trigger in it. While I was at it I lightened the spring which brought it down some and I still haven't gotten around to the short reset kit, which it definitely needs.
Even my Shields sport the stock triggers, hinged and all. They're carry guns and frankly the Apex kits don't do much for them anyway. I wouldn't mind flat triggers on them though. Most of my carry guns are in the 4 lb range. Crisp break with very little creep and very short resets. I'm guessing the PDP and the Caniks have lighter triggers and I know the PPQ Q5 Match does, but it doesn't matter to me, mine are good enough.

I like AR triggers around 2.5 - 3 lbs.

For the record, other than 1911s and an HK P30L, all my handgun triggers are stock. I'm really not a trigger snob. That big hook of a trigger on the P30 is horrendous though and had to go. So I put a GG flat trigger in it. While I was at it I lightened the spring which brought it down some and I still haven't gotten around to the short reset kit, which it definitely needs.
Even my Shields sport the stock triggers, hinged and all. They're carry guns and frankly the Apex kits don't do much for them anyway. I wouldn't mind flat triggers on them though. Most of my carry guns are in the 4 lb range. Crisp break with very little creep and very short resets. I'm guessing the PDP and the Caniks have lighter triggers and I know the PPQ Q5 Match does, but it doesn't matter to me, mine are good enough.

The Canik I had was a Mete pro and it spoiled me on flat triggers. That was something that threw me when I tried a VP9SK. The big hook on the trigger and it was also very mushy. The PDP I have is very comfy, just a slight curve to it. The P07 is also fine for its curve. Has some mush but not sure if it just needs use. I bought it because a rental one was butter on the trigger. I tried a P229 in the hand and the trigger pull, even on DA was obscene (in a good way) but it was also a legion and $1300…lol

i think it’s not unlike guitars where if you hand a beginner a well set up pro guitar and they get super excited on the way it feels and then you say, OK here’s the guitar you're really going to learn on and it’s something else altogether. A seasoned player could still play some decent stuff on that mediocre guitar and will work around its shortcomings.

Not sure I’m bonding with the ergonomics of my CZ P07, even though it shoots very accurately. Curious about some other HF guns to think about that aren’t crazy prices. Not looking at 1911’s. Plus it would be for carry, so full size is not great. The top of the range I’ve looked at is the Sig P229 that’s about 1K (trigger on the legion was butter but too expensive) but also curious about the H&K P2000. Have held a P30 before but never shot one. I’ve only shot a VP9. What other makers am I missing, ideally between 400 and 800?. I already have a Walther striker fire but like the idea of one in the chamber by my boys with a DA first pull.

Caliber, just 9mm? Sounds like you want either DA/S or maybe DAO also? New or used? If used, it opens up a whole lot of quality possibilities.
I've shot the PX4, but don't own one. They're nice, imo.

The Canik I had was a Mete pro and it spoiled me on flat triggers. That was something that threw me when I tried a VP9SK. The big hook on the trigger and it was also very mushy. The PDP I have is very comfy, just a slight curve to it. The P07 is also fine for its curve. Has some mush but not sure if it just needs use. I bought it because a rental one was butter on the trigger. I tried a P229 in the hand and the trigger pull, even on DA was obscene (in a good way) but it was also a legion and $1300…lol

i think it’s not unlike guitars where if you hand a beginner a well set up pro guitar and they get super excited on the way it feels and then you say, OK here’s the guitar you're really going to learn on and it’s something else altogether. A seasoned player could still play some decent stuff on that mediocre guitar and will work around its shortcomings.
You think the VP9 has a hook of a trigger, check out a HK Hammer gun.

By the way I'm totally in love with my VP9SK/SCS. Like all strikers I know of, even the Q5, there is some pre travel, but the triggers on none of my VP9s are something I would classify as Mushy. Not for a striker. Like I said though, I'm not a trigger snob kinda guy. I mainly worry about "After" I hit the wall and minimal travel to reset the sear.

I love my son's Glock 43x. Exactly like my G48 but shorter slide/same barrel. It is considered a sub-compact but has a 'fuller' sized grip - which is what I like most. Oh and frickin slim as an anorexic stripper. 10+1

$550
(I stand corrected. $450)

e599TSs.jpg

I know your not hot on them, but Ive carried a CSX for a year now and its been a pleasure so far. Its the only SA I have, but just train with it and it does fine. 3" groups at 25 yds for a sub compact is nothing to sneeze at. Ive probably put 3-400 rounds through it, but it has been really solid. Super easy to conceal and you can leave a round in the chamber and just cock the hammer when it comes out, or if you prefer you can rack it easily due to the machining on the end of the slide. Front of the slide is rounded so it holsters up with no snags. 12 +1 round capacity. Feeds and extracts beautifully no matter what you feed it.
My only qualm has been the trigger has a very slight click before the actual reset, so if you don't train with it and your someone who rides the reset you could potentially think its ready to fire again when its not. It happened twice on my first day with it, but once you get 4 mags through it it dosent happen because you know to ignore that and go just past that point. It sounds like an issue, but its really not been one at all.
I have a PX4 but its a little too big to hide easily. Great gun though, I got it and the CX4 carbine from a cop buddy who used them as a duty pistol and carbine, they use the same mags so he only had to worry about 1 type of mag for whatever he was faced with.
They are both .40 cal, not 9mm. I got both for 800 bucks with 8 additional mags so it was too good to pass up!
The PX4 is really accurate, has a middle of the road trigger, and I had some issues with Winchester +P ammo feeding and I never could figure out why. Neither could anyone else.. I ended up just avoiding that ammo in that pistol.
Everything else did fine in it, including other +P rounds by other companies. The 9mm versions may be a whole different story so I would not put too much into that...

Last edited:

Thats weird, I have an M&P Pro full size 5" that I put an Apex trigger group in and it made a big difference. Better feel, way faster reset and far less slop than the stocker. Maybe the compact units are different? Not sure
I know it was kind of a pain in the ass to install compared to an AR trigger group :scared:

Thats weird, I have an M&P Pro full size 5" that I put an Apex trigger group in and it made a big difference. Better feel, way faster reset and far less slop than the stocker. Maybe the compact units are different? Not sure
I know it was kind of a pain in the ass to install compared to an AR trigger group :scared:
Mine are both PC versions. If yours wasn’t that could explain it. I shot mine along with my buddy’s Apex equipped Shield and there was very little difference. Not enough for me to bother.

It's nice. Has a rotating barrel.

What kind of clothing do you wear when you normally carry? These are all pretty big guns if you are in a warm climate.

My normal EDC is a Sig P365. Tshirt and shorts is 99% of my wardrobe. I carry a Springfield XDM Compact 9mm when clothing allows.

It's nice. Has a rotating barrel.

What kind of clothing do you wear when you normally carry? These are all pretty big guns if you are in a warm climate.

My normal EDC is an Sig P365. Tshirt and shorts is 99% of my wardrobe. I carry a Springfield XDM Compact 9mm when clothing allows.
For a few more months, hoodie but summer is shirt and shorts. Every small gun I’ve rented to shoot has felt horrible in the hand and very snappy. I consider myself a novice shooter, about a year and a half now, so I’m more focused on guns I feel I can shoot well.

Back