Looking for a furman pq3 or pq4 alternative

I have a SineEffect MegaPara pedal - no idea how it compares to a Furman but it is great for sure

I use a TC Electronics 1140. Super quiet too.

1644853485619.png

How the noise on that one? Pretty quiet or does it get hissy at higher volume?

i mainly use it in my loops for recording but i never noticed any more noise than any other eq i have, ashly makes solid stuff you dont see many guys use for whatever reasons

Unless any of these ‘color’ the tone like the Furman does, you won’t get what you are wanting out of it. I’ve owned the Empress(cold, clinical but does the job), the TC 1140(warmer, better sounding but still not the Furman color) and the Furman PQ3. If you can handle the hiss the Furman is unmatched really; for that tone.

Unless any of these ‘color’ the tone like the Furman does, you won’t get what you are wanting out of it. I’ve owned the Empress(cold, clinical but does the job), the TC 1140(warmer, better sounding but still not the Furman color) and the Furman PQ3. If you can handle the hiss the Furman is unmatched really; for that tone.
This is what I was fearing all along. Thank you for chiming in. I was looking for someone who has owned several and could comment on what makes the Furman different.

This is what I was fearing all along. Thank you for chiming in. I was looking for someone who has owned several and could comment on what makes the Furman different.
All the others mentioned are nice and do the job well-but the Furman has this upper mid ‘snarl’ that I’ve only heard in it alone.

The empress paraEQ is the best parametric I’ve ever used for a guitar amp. Not made anymore and going up in price, but it is phenomenal.
This x1000.

It also has a 30db clean boost that you can use in conjunction or separately with the EQ. Awesome pedal.

Agreed. The Empress one honestly sounds awful and like a toy if you have in next to the Furman. Not only is it cold and clinical sounding, but also has these ugly tonal artifacts around the notes. All the empress pedals I’ve tried have these qualities. Not a fan of Empress. 1140 was very good, but not as warm or as good mids as Furman. My fave PQ I’ve had has been my Intersound PRV-1. Rare and expensive though. Doesn’t have as much gain or output as the other PQ’s mentioned or nearly as much actual eq flexibility, but imo better actual tone than the others I’ve had. Doesn’t quite have the mids of the Furman, but still sounded better overall to me and the great spring reverb it has is a nice bonus

Audioarts 4100 is another good one. Tightest of the ones I’ve had, but compressed and again doesn’t have the mids of the Furman

Last edited:
I agree, but the TC was close enough for me. The difference in hiss and additional options made it the better choice for my wants/ needs.

Back