Looking for a multieffects unit

kingsryche

I haven't had the option of an effects loop in a while but now that I have my Rebel I am looking to get a good mulieffects unit to run in the loop. Just need something for reverbs, delay, modulation, etc that is midi controllable and under $500. I was hoping some of you could help narrow down the list based on your own experience. Then I can put this on my Christmas wish list :D

kingsryche":1hd5g8b7 said:
I haven't had the option of an effects loop in a while but now that I have my Rebel I am looking to get a good mulieffects unit to run in the loop. Just need something for reverbs, delay, modulation, etc that is midi controllable and under $500. I was hoping some of you could help narrow down the list based on your own experience. Then I can put this on my Christmas wish list :D

Get a used Lexicon MPXG2. I have two for use w/ my M4, Mod50, and Rebel. One of the best guitar oriented multi-efx unit out there. Since it's out of production, you'll have to look on ebay.

Eric

Jeff Hilligan":2aol95h8 said:
I have a Lexicon MXP 1 for sale if you are interested..$350 shipped.

The MPX1 is a great multi-efx unit. That was my first rack efx unit years ago!

Similar problem here...I have to get something for my MOD 50. I'd need some very simple unit because I'm only going to use some delay and reverb. G Sharp is ridiculously cheap but is it complete crap?

Anybody using an Axe FX in a 4-cable configuration with their Egnater amp or preamp? I am seriously thinking about getting one of these to replace my ancient Replifex...which still sounds great actually IMHO, but it's getting a little long in the tooth, and I would like a little more flexibility with effects routing. The Axe FX appeals to me because I can place some of the effects before the preamp stage (comp, wah, phase, etc) and delay/reverb after the preamp stage. However, I worry a little bit about tone-suck in this configuration with the double A/D conversion. FWIW, I would be using it with either a MICA TOL 100 head, or a pre-Rocktron IE-4 preamp w/ Randall RT2-50 poweramp.

Thanks for any advice!
Trevor

Beagle1":3bnvw42c said:
Anybody using an Axe FX in a 4-cable configuration with their Egnater amp or preamp? I am seriously thinking about getting one of these to replace my ancient Replifex...which still sounds great actually IMHO, but it's getting a little long in the tooth, and I would like a little more flexibility with effects routing. The Axe FX appeals to me because I can place some of the effects before the preamp stage (comp, wah, phase, etc) and delay/reverb after the preamp stage. However, I worry a little bit about tone-suck in this configuration with the double A/D conversion. FWIW, I would be using it with either a MICA TOL 100 head, or a pre-Rocktron IE-4 preamp w/ Randall RT2-50 poweramp.

Thanks for any advice!
Trevor

Well, I have been doing this for a few days actually. Be warned that I had to isolate a potential ground loop that was causing major squealing and basically rendering the setup unusable. I fixed it by inserting a Cuniberti reamp after the Axe FX send feeding the input of either the M4 or the MOD50. I am not really using the standard 4 cable, but actually doing the studio variant where you run out of the MOD 50 > cab > DAW > Axe FX return > Axe Outs > DAW.

broknstuff":2p0v9605 said:
line 6 m13? or are you specifically looking at rack gear?
I'm mainly considering a rack unit because I want to get an E2 when they become available and run both thru my Rebel. The M13 looks cool but not really what I need.

Beagle,

I have an Axe-fx and for the moment I use it with the 4 CM, my previous Fx unit was a rocktron multivalve (very close to your replifex).
Well, of course the flexibility is huge compare to the rocktron unit, I think that you can do everything with it. The Fx are better also than the rocktron (pretty good though).
But the only complain I have is that I have a tiny loss of dynamic, I guess it may comes from a loss of volume that I have with the axe but even boosted, I can feel this loss. The 4CM with the axe is not an easy thing to deal with. Because of the input 1 & 2, output 1 & 2... I don't have this with the rocktron and I think that is the great point for it... I mean all the made in USA unit, not the Xpression.
I don't know if John have the same thing.
But a lot of people are satisfied with a so small lack of dynamic, a lot of fx unit have this. Just to tell it's not perfect yet and if you're a sound addict, it may annoy you. I still have not chosen between the lack or the quality of FX.

For Kingsryche, an old replifex, multivale could be really cool too.

Jeff, I've sent a e-mail to Egnater about a problem with a Bman module, still no answer, maybe too much mail...is it better to call ? It's just because I'm not so sure about my english for a phone call :confused:

Thanks Seb

Jeff, I've sent a e-mail to Egnater about a problem with a Bman module, still no answer, maybe too much mail...is it better to call ? It's just because I'm not so sure about my english for a phone call :confused:

Just send you a return email. Been swamped

I may get lynched for reccomending 2 normal brand names..

I have a Boss GT-8 that i run occasionally in the 4 cable Method (4CM) with my 4100, and I midi control my GT-8..

maybe look at the GT-10, see and listen if what it offers is what you want. I think that after Axe FX, the GT-8/ GT-10 with certain processing (known as the harmonic converger) hold the best tone for digital modelers.. the 10 verbs are much improved... the verb on the 8 is a weakness for that unit (especially the nasty spring verb)

...though POD has been removing a lot of what I hate out of their tone... I was shocked to actually hear good satisifying pod tone from one for the first time this last year! the x3 has good internal routing and choices on modeled boxes. I can't comment on the quality of the Pod verbs.

every MFX (Ax less than others) have some shortcomings.. just try first.

though, if you reallllly want good delay- just get an analog delay. Moog is best, malekko and carbon copy are good too. :)

blueburl":1a3ek271 said:
I may get lynched for reccomending 2 normal brand names..

I have a Boss GT-8 that i run occasionally in the 4 cable Method (4CM) with my 4100, and I midi control my GT-8..

maybe look at the GT-10, see and listen if what it offers is what you want. I think that after Axe FX, the GT-8/ GT-10 with certain processing (known as the harmonic converger) hold the best tone for digital modelers.. the 10 verbs are much improved... the verb on the 8 is a weakness for that unit (especially the nasty spring verb)

...though POD has been removing a lot of what I hate out of their tone... I was shocked to actually hear good satisifying pod tone from one for the first time this last year! the x3 has good internal routing and choices on modeled boxes. I can't comment on the quality of the Pod verbs.

every MFX (Ax less than others) have some shortcomings.. just try first.

though, if you reallllly want good delay- just get an analog delay. Moog is best, malekko and carbon copy are good too. :)

When I got rid of my Mesa Rectoverb combo two years ago I looked at all of the modelers. I had a Pod XT at the time as well...sold it. Tried a Vox AD60VTX which I returned. After all of that, I won't even consider anything that has amp and cab models at this point. I just want realistic time based effects that is midi controllable so I can eventually get an E2 when they are available :D

Maybe consider a Rocktron Replifex or Intellifex...They both offer
alot of great delay,reverb and modulation effects,MIDI and they
don't change you tone like some of the other units I've tried.....
They can be found used in the $200.00-$300.00 range on the
bay or check your local music stores...........

Hi Folks,

I recently picked up a Line 6 M13, but I've been waiting to post untill I had some clips... but here goes without.

The M13 is a great match with my MOD50, but it took me a while to get it to work. Long story short, this unit allows you to select effects for in front of the amp, or in the loop (use the series loop only). To use this feature, you MUST select "DSP bypass" on the M13 (instead of tru bypass mode). It works fine in the loop only in true bypass mode, but not in the 4 cable method.

It sounds great to me - the DSP's are pretty good and I can deal with it in the DSP bypass mode. It's super-intuitive to use - and I had a blast auditioning the same effect/same setting pre and post to see where I liked what.

... for the record, the phaser, U-vibe, and OD's of course sound better in front - and I like the choruses and flanger in the loop (with delays and verbs of course). Octavia and octaver in front, weird filter sounds in the loop.

I also had the line 6 Mod pedal, but it didn't work in the (line level) series loop. The M13 works fine - but there's no line level switch or mention of level in the manual (?).

Anyhow, much fun for $450! I recommend it.

A quick addition.... I also tried a Digitech GSP-1101 with the controller (I know, I know.... I was just really trying to simplify my pedal setup).

It sucked. Very noisy, even with the amp models off. Screwed with the tone even when bypassed. Not nice.

Since I keep a cabinet at the studio, I just carry a bag with the M13/wah/Egnater footswitch/cords, the MOD50 head, and my trusty Suhr strat. One trip up 20 stairs, a 5 minute setup and I'm cookin'

richedie":22e0241y said:
Damage Control Nexus.

richedie, I just read up on the DC Glass Nexus and this sounds like what I am looking for. Seems like a great alternative to a rack unit and is still midi controllable. What is your personal experience with this unit? I'm very curious now :)

Back