Looking for the "perfect " channel switcher

nakoshoko

Hi guys!
A new member here.
Have been reading the forum for a long time though. Was a huge member in HRI forum.
I need an opinion on a few channel switching amps.
Trying to decide between JVM HJS and CAE Classic plus.
Both I can find second hand reasonably priced in Europe.
I'm leaning towards the CAE because of the clean channel, but not sure about the gain channel.
I play in a classic rock/pop covers band doing everything from Eagles to Bon Jovi and Metallica.

IMHO the perfect channel switcher doesn't exist. At best there will be one really great channel and the rest are a compromise. A lot of them seem to compromise all the channels. If you primarily use an amp for a gain channel, I'd pick the amp with the best gain channel.

Thanks for the reply. Please don't take the title literally. I need an opinion on those two amps because I can not try them.

The JVM seems pretty common? Maybe not in Europe? I'd think it wouldn't be too hard to track one down to try out. I've never played the CAE but they seem pretty polarizing. Some people think they're great but some really don't get along with the gain channel. I'd be nervous to get that amp without playing it first unless the price is so cheap you could sell it easily.

I miss the HRI forum. :(

I think both of those amps are good choices for the tones you are after. I'd go with the CAE OD100 Classic+... or the CAA PT100 if possible. Both will do what you want... channel 1 classic Fender Blackface cleans... and modified Marshall grind on Channel 2. The CAE is built much better and far quieter. The OD100 has a better fx loop. The JVM has more upper mids, and high-end bite and edge to the tone on the gain channels. The CAE is a bit warmer and rounder. Both are good amps... I'd go for the CAE though.

5153 covers huge ground. Cheap and are readily available. That being said, the Bogner Shiva 20th is hard to beat for a channel switcher.

Mesa Petrucci. I've heard they're very expensive over there though??

My MKIV is perfect. Not sure what else it should be able to do.

The Marshall mentioned above and a couple pedals. All good suggestions above.

Anniversary Shiva and Mark V will be a great option but pricy in Europe.
I was looking also into Mark V 35 , which can be found second hand reasonably priced. I had Mark IV and liked the gain channel, but everything else on Mark V sounds better to me , plus the gain is not bad at all for what I do.
I've gigged with EVH 5153 50w and really like the gain channels, but the clean is a bit sterile.

nakoshoko":dfrc57m7 said:
I was looking also into Mark V 35 , which can be found second hand reasonably priced. I had Mark IV and liked the gain channel, but everything else on Mark V sounds better to me , plus the gain is not bad at all for what I do.
I've gigged with EVH 5153 50w and really like the gain channels, but the clean is a bit sterile.

The Mark V: 35s are popular and aren't as common on the used market as other amps, and when they do come up, there's not a big discount on them in my experience. Maybe it's different where you live. The full Mark V would be perfect for you, but I know Mesas are expensive in Europe.

Between the two amps you mentioned, I'd choose the JS sig JVM. It's got pretty decent cleans and tons of crunch and classic rock/metal options. Plus the noise gates come in really handy. I've owned several JVMs, and I've played through a couple of CAEs. I've gigged the JVM and it really cut through well. The warmer nature of the CAE wouldn't do as well, imo.

There are certainly plenty of CAE fans out there, but based on my playing of both amps, I think the Satch JVM would serve you better for a gigging head. Plus the JVM footswitch is pretty awesome.

GOHOINC":1iwx9ze1 said:
Ecstasy. End thread
Yeah, any time someone who plays out a lot and needs to cover a lot of bases, like in a covers band or multiple different bands, I always suggest an Ecstacy. A 101b if its rock / metal focused, or maybe a 20th if the clean channel is the priority. The 3 channels and the foot-switching options just kill for this application.
I would also recommend checking out the original ( not Stealth ) version of the 5153 if budget is an issue. The 100 watt version is actually very similar to a 101b.

I know it's probably a long shot in Europe, but if you can find a Fryette/VHT Sig:X, that would get my vote for what you're looking for. I haven't tried the CAE, and the JVM did not impress me though I haven't tried the Satriani model. Directly compared to the Bogner Ecstasy 101B, I think the Sig:X wins out in that it can do everything the Bogner can do, but it is a little more clear in terms of note separation and definition when playing beyond your standard power and major/minor chords, regardless of gain level. The Sig:X still makes me smile anytime I play through it, four years in. That's unique for me, and is the longest an amp has been my go-to.

Sig X is an interesting suggestion. I was really close to pulling the trigger on one, but all the clips I've seen sounded to heavy rock for me. Option wise amp looks great.

nakoshoko":1513vd6d said:
Original run DSL100. Great amp and extremely versatile. Recently, Dave Weiner (Vai) was praising it on his FB page as he had to use it for a few shows on the P&W tour. There's a reason so many pros use them.

I recently saw the band Asia perform and was super impressed with the lead guitarist Sam Coulson's tone. He used one guitar, one amp (Engl) and a small board. I thought his tone (from clean to lead) was better than the headliner, Journey's Neil Schon. If I was in the market for a chanel switcher I would start here.
I have had many amps over the past 10 years and have dwindled it down to these. I play live weekly and would be content with any one. I believe the first 3 are the best channel switchers I've tried.
Shiva 20th
Early JCM 2000 DSL100
EVH 50w
'84 JCM 800 2204
SLO

For me it would be between the Bogner XTC and CAA OD100/PT100. These 2 amps I think do the Fender clean & Marshall crunch the best from one single box. They are also the most versatile for clean, crunch, and lead. I've owned the JVM410 & 210... but never kept them long. They always seem to be missing some thump & chunk in the tone... they sound too thin and bitey. I also prefer the original JCM2000 DSL100 to the new reissue and even the JVM series too. It just plain sounds better.

I own a Classic + and its far better than any Marshall amp, BUT you have to be able to bring your chops. Its not full of compression and gain it will show every flaw in your playing.

That said with new fresh tubes and some tweaking of the feedback control this amp is one of the best sounding channel switchers out there. Love mine and it is a long time keeper!

mixn4him":zjjkopdw said:
I own a Classic + and its far better than any Marshall amp, BUT you have to be able to bring your chops. Its not full of compression and gain it will show every flaw in your playing.

That said with new fresh tubes and some tweaking of the feedback control this amp is one of the best sounding channel switchers out there. Love mine and it is a long time keeper!
Does the gain channel on the Classic + takes boosts well. I'm not into super high gain but I need compression for solos ala Lukather /Neil Schon.
My last amp was an Elmwood Modena 60 for a reference.

nakoshoko":xerd58ln said:
mixn4him":xerd58ln said:

Does the gain channel on the Classic + takes boosts well. I'm not into super high gain but I need compression for solos ala Lukather /Neil Schon.

If you are into Luke/Schon/Landau and/or after the classic '80s fluid-gained-out LA studio lead tone... you might be better off with the CAA OD100SE+... which the 2nd channel w/ boost is a clone of the CAA 3+SE preamp... which Lukather, Landau, EVH and a bunch of others used in the '80s.

Just a thought. ;)

nakoshoko":39gtne62 said:
mixn4him":39gtne62 said:

Yes Ive used both an SD1 and Maxon OD808, but agree with the above post and OD-100SE may be a better fit for the tones your looking for, the C+ is more vintage voiced and open.

Back