Looking for VHT CL vs Deliverance opinions

maddnotez

Banned
I may have found both of these for sale around the same price point. 100CL with EQ. D120 with loop. I know these amps are old and this is a lame thread but looking for opinions and comparisons.

I have owned a 100CL and miss it. It was crushing but ive never tried a D120 and I do like the no nonsense single channel vibe.

I've heard the D is a bit looser and more open while the CL is more focused. What do you guys say?

I’ve owned both and loved both.

The Pittbull is razor sharp and really hi-fi sound that cuts like a knife. Also super tight and super addictive to play.

The D120 is much bigger sounding, but definitely not as tight as the Pitbull. More organic for sure.

The Pittbull is razor sharp and really hi-fi sound that cuts like a knife. Also super tight and super addictive to play.

The D120 is much bigger sounding, but definitely not as tight as the Pitbull. More organic for sure.
I was coming to post the same thing.

Would you say something like a Green Uberschall vs the Twin Jet?

I think I may have missed out on the CL sale anyway but I'm still curious.

I see you are back in the amp game :D

I think if I had to pick between the two I'd go D120 or even D60 for the openness alone. The Pitbull is almost too tight if that is possible. You can always tighten a looser amp but hard to loosen up a tight amp.

Would you say something like a Green Uberschall vs the Twin Jet?

I think I may have missed out on the CL sale anyway but I'm still curious.
Maybe more like a booster Twin Jet vs a green Uber, but even then...I still think the Pittbull and D120 sound a bit more different and feel a bit more different than the two Ubers.

The only right answer is to acquire both.

I've never had/played a 2 channel Pittbull but I am very familiar with the Classic and CLX which have been my #1 amps for the past ten years or so.

I did own a D60 and a D120 at certain points. Both are incredible amps in their own right. I compromised and got a Sig:X which gets close to the Deliverance tones... somewhere between the D60 and D120.

That could be an amp to consider. It gets you between the D and PB amps and is insanely versatile.

Edit: @maddnotez if you get the D120, from experience I can tell you they pair VERY well with a Mills 4x12 with V30's. Consider discontinuing the sale if you go that route.

Last edited:
I've played a PB, and owned the D120 and 60. Deliverance 60 is the most open and uncompressed amp short of a Wizard. The 120 is more modern; while the 60 is more pissed off/vintage with a good splash of modern. I had the 60 at the same time as an SLO and I could get them dialed very close; with the 60 have a ton more low end available. I liked the D better than the PB I played, although it was nice too.

I have both. The CL will give you two great channels, highly tweakable from the GEQ. The D120 will give you one great channel that is certainly bigger sounding. It really depends on the genre, your preference and the level you play at. I would certainly try to play both. Enough reasons to own any of them. Personally, I would purchase the CL.

or ... get the D120 with the loop and add a GP3 preamp later on.
Is this the same preamp as the CL or something? If so, I suspect D120 and CL100 having completely different poweramps.

I think the CL100 I was looking at won't be available unfortunately. Someone was in front of me in line and supposed to buy it this weekend. If it falls through I will buy it for sure.

But if it gets sold then idk.....You guys don't make the D120 sound all that great haha. Back to the drawing board.

I did own a CL100 years ago and tbh it's the one amp I miss the most and want back.

I've had both at the same time. Years later the deliverance is still here for good reason, the pitbull is long gone. The deliverance is a unique amp IMO. The pitbull is great but the D beats it in spades.

I've had both at the same time. Years later the deliverance is still here for good reason, the pitbull is long gone. The deliverance is a unique amp IMO. The pitbull is great but the D beats it in spades.
Hmm ok that is different then what most are saying. What did you prefer about the Deliverance and what style of music do you play?

Back