Looks like the rock standard is back

So this video sounds like it has a lot of gain available, or your pickups are very high output.

I don't get the point of the standard model vs already avail MC II, hybrid, MTL etc. What is it doing differently ?
The pickups are Thornbucker Plus, not hot. The Rock Standard is a rock to hard rock amp, different feel and tone and has lots of tone shaping options. It’s definitely different than a MC1 or MCII but I tend to dial amps in for what I like. You could definitely get it to be more 800 ish with more presence and treble, less bass - less gain etc. it’s a Wizard so the guys that are pissed off by the prices their opinion isn’t really relevant as they’re gonna bash anyways. Is having multiple Wizards redundant sure.

The pickups are Thornbucker Plus, not hot. The Rock Standard is a rock to hard rock amp, different feel and tone and has lots of tone shaping options. It’s definitely different than a MC1 or MCII but I tend to dial amps in for what I like. You could definitely get it to be more 800 ish with more presence and treble, less bass - less gain etc. it’s a Wizard so the guys that are pissed off by the prices their opinion isn’t really relevant as they’re gonna bash anyways. Is having multiple Wizards redundant sure.
I find that interesting, ok what would you rate stock T498 bridge pickups? (I have them in my Standard DC Les paul). I see those as low output, but maybe I am in left field here? Trying to get an idea because your clip makes that amp seem to have TONS of gain, which is great as a usable gain taper.

I find that interesting, ok what would you rate stock T498 bridge pickups? (I have them in my Standard DC Les paul). I see those as low output, but maybe I am in left field here? Trying to get an idea because your clip makes that amp seem to have TONS of gain, which is great as a usable gain taper.
Thornbucker plus is only about 9k ohm and it doesn’t hit the amp very hard at all.

These have been sitting on eBay for a while.

https://www.ebay.com/b/Guitar-Amplifiers/38072?_fsrp=0&_sacat=38072&rt=nc&Brand=Wizard
Been a while since seeing what I'm guessing are fairly recent builds. I haven't bought and sold enough of them to know a lot other than what I don't like about the ones I used to see for sale. Those dried up and went away a long time ago.

Hopefully our friends Matt & uberschallEL34 will comment whether these are good deals or not.
I been watching . They been sitting awhile like you said . So have all the 2c+ . But I noticed 5150 and mark IV prices going down again so maybe the market is about to go normal again finally

Stock 498T is high output for sure, about 14kOhm.

The Rock Standard doesn’t have the amount of gain as the MCII or MTL. It’s got more extra tone shaping options compared to the MC or MCII and has a different feel. I get some folks wanting to hate on Wizards, everyone is entitled to their opinions. However unless you’ve been in the room and played them you just really won’t understand. Simple as that.

Not many amps ‘punch’ like a Wizard, in my opinion.

Having owned some 60 amps now, with 7 of those being Wizards, I strongly agree.

There's MANY great amps out there...MANY, but nothing feels or sounds like a Wizard or does what a Wizard does IMHO and you have to play it in person to get it...that goes for any amp though because clips are just phucking clips.

Some folks will like them, some will not, but same can be said for every amp out there. Wizards aren't magical unicorns, however, they are amps built extremely well with huge quality iron, high plate/screen voltages and therefore have a very unique sound/feel.

Back