Love/Hate thing with Les Pauls.

War_in_D

I have this love/hate thing with Les Pauls. I've always known it.. I"ve always had it, and I guess I always will. After 30+ years of playing I think it's time for me to come to realization that the Les Paul shape just isn't my preferred body shape. I've always been way more of a double cut, super-strat kind of fellow. Over the last couple of years, I went from having zero LP's to having three LP's. I guess I was in the "love" phase, but now I'm swinging back into the "I guess I don't really hate them, but why do I have three of these" phase. So I think two are going to have to go, and I'll keep the third just to scratch that LP itch that I get from time to time. Now I just need to figure out which two are leaving. I've got two Traditional Pros, one with 60's neck and one with 50's neck and an LP Standard 60's. I have a pretty good idea which one I'm going to keep (50's neck Traditional), but I think some play time with each is in order just to make sure.

I’ve bought and sold a lot of les pauls myself but recently I purchased one based on the neck contour and weight and it was the best move for me. I love the thing and can’t put it down, as far as the shape goes, I’m skinny so it doesn’t bother me. I went from a Les Paul questioner to a Les Paul Lover in less than a month.
The biggest thing I did besides changing the pick up was to raise the action. I didn’t realize I can’t play a guitar where the action is real low, I need it where I can grab the strings and they ring, that has made all the difference for me.
For about the last 10 years I’ve been playing either a locking nut Guitar or Headless guitar so now I need to come up with some nut sauce for the Strat and Les Paul.

Les Paul’s are beautiful but the bridge placement is weird for me . Especially growing up and learning on SG Standard . But I still love them too

I think the strap placement and lack of a tummy cut is more of the issue for me. I'm a lot rounder than I used to be, with the strap button being where it is, and my belly being where it is.. it causes the guitar to slide over and sit more toward my hip instead of out in front of me when I'm standing up. Sitting down, where I can keep it in front of me.. I'm good.

I’ve bought and sold a lot of les pauls myself but recently I purchased one based on the neck contour and weight and it was the best move for me. I love the thing and can’t put it down, as far as the shape goes, I’m skinny so it doesn’t bother me. I went from a Les Paul questioner to a Les Paul Lover in less than a month.
The biggest thing I did besides changing the pick up was to raise the action. I didn’t realize I can’t play a guitar where the action is real low, I need it where I can grab the strings and they ring, that has made all the difference for me.
For about the last 10 years I’ve been playing either a locking nut Guitar or Headless guitar so now I need to come up with some nut sauce for the Strat and Les Paul.

That's a beauty! Oddly enough, after years of playing guitars that usually have the typical "shredder" neck profile.. like you, I find myself gravitating toward the thicker necks, with higher strings. They just seem easier to get around on for my playing style these days.

I wanted a LP forever, finally bought one last year. I like it but have come to accept that they’re not for me. This one weighs almost 10 pounds so it is brutal on my shoulder. Went to a wider strap and that helped some. Sitting down I deal with body diving. I’ve played V’s and Explorers for years before this, going back that way.

Played LP's for over 30 years straight. Then strats, tele's and SG's got my attention. Strats and tele's are just so comfortable to play and SG's have that upper fret access which I have no issue ripping leads at. LP's don't provide either of those things however the tone and flexibility with 2 vol, 2 tone knobs coupled with a maple cap often trump the other shortcomings. Coupled with a vintage Marshall amp is just pure rock n roll. If someone said you could only have 1 guitar I would pick a HSS strat or double HH superstrat over the LP. Love the LP and have 4 that don't get played too much lately but it's a love/hate relationship with me. Love them enough to not sell, hate them enough to play them at random.

I don't care for them,but have a clone from a luthier I love.
All the best stuff like old mahogany, etc.
I keep it because everyone who has played it says it's fantastic.
I looked at it a couple of times...from across the room.
It stares at me like I owe it money.
I opened the case one time and it sneered as it said "Oh...it's you. What do you want?"
Its was a marriage of convenience. Now I feel trapped in a loveless relationship.
Fuck it. I own her. Until she starts cleaning the dishes, she can just eat shit.
I am NOT going to couples therapy.

The other thing about Gibson Les Pauls is that the manufacturing is so all over the place that you really do have to run the racks to get one you like. I’d bet a lot of Les Paul guys are really more like “I don’t care too much for Les Pauls in general but mine specifically is fantastic. I’m a ‘my’ Les Paul kind of guy.”

Les Pauls is what you play for:

- Their tone
- Making the scene

Nothing about their playability, comfiness, QC. You may wanna check ESP eclipse, Schecter Solo II or other stuff with more friendly designs imho.

More Pauls than Less I always say.

LPx4 crop.jpg

As much as I love how they sound, if I had to pick one electric guitar to use for everything it would definitely not be a les paul. For certain things I struggle way more on them, especially because they don’t sit higher very well like a strat/super strat does. I feel I have to hang a LP lower for it to feel right and I’m fine playing rhythms like that but I don’t like the whole thing of having to prop up the guitar vertically to access to the upper frets in a manner that’s not ergonomically awful. Maybe people think it looks cool but I have my hands full enough already trying not to suck.

I started on a strat and still feel most at home on one. However I have come to really love my les pauls and appreciate them for what they are. When I pick up the 73 Norlin LP Custom, it just screams to play 70s hard rock, which I love. Plays like butter, but sure you have the issue with upper fret access, but I just try to play to guitar's strengths.

My first electric guitar was an El Degas Les Paul copy. I was thrilled to get it from my cousin who never played it. I played the crap out of it. However, I hated that guitar beyond words. I've gotten other ones through the years in the Axcess version but for me, I'm not a fan of the controls. Either way, beautiful guitars and a joy to play for those that love them.

Les Pauls are great but they’re never going to be my first choice for my style. Nothing matches a good LP for fatness of tone but their biggest tonal trade off is they are not the best guitars for string to string definition in chords. Even SGs and Explorers, generally, are better in that regard so it’s a relative trade off. I believe that is largely due to the LPs thick body and extreme neck joint/head stock angles.

Still can't put down my 2018 Tribute after getting new nut and she holds tune SOLID now. I would LOVE a nice Custom, but I'd have to sell something and not ready to do that yet :)

Back