Love/Hate thing with Les Pauls.

Les Pauls is what you play for:

- Their tone
- Making the scene

Nothing about their playability, comfiness, QC. You may wanna check ESP eclipse, Schecter Solo II or other stuff with more friendly designs imho.
It's purely subjective.

My main Les Paul is not only the best sounding guitar I have ever owned but the best playing guitar I have ever owned and the most comfortable. Again, it's subjective. Some people dig them, some don't.

I've got two Traditional Pros, one with 60's neck and one with 50's neck and an LP Standard 60's. I have a pretty good idea which one I'm going to keep (50's neck Traditional), but I think some play time with each is in order just to make sure.
At least you're being honest with yourself. My go to is a Trad Pro, I think they are some of the most comfortable and useful stock LP's at a reasonable price point out there.

Reasons I don't enjoy them is down to the design flaws that limit ergonomics and tuning stability. Uncomfy and difficult to repair doesn't help either.

1652736505666.png

Reasons I don't enjoy them is down to the design flaws that limit ergonomics and tuning stability. Uncomfy and difficult to repair doesn't help either.

View attachment 119302
Yeah the String Butler is a godsend for this problem. I’ve had people poo poo it and tell me if the nut is cut properly that a device pulling the strings straight would actually make the problem worse, but in that case I’ve pretty much never seen a Les Paul with a nut cut properly.

At least you're being honest with yourself. My go to is a Trad Pro, I think they are some of the most comfortable and useful stock LP's at a reasonable price point out there.

Agreed. Dollar for Dollar, the Traditionals is the best value in an LP that you can get.

Why don't you try a Les Paul Axcess ? Just more of the same but way more comfy (for my own taste of course).

Ok, this is where it gets weird.. LOL I had a Les Paul Custom Axcess, and got rid of it. Why, because it didn't feel enough like a Les Paul to me. Insane, I know. Great guitar, and the neck heel was nice but it was a little too thin for me.. Also, the body was thinner than a regular LP and it was feather light. Again, crazy.. Right? All the thing that LP haters say they hate.. Too heavy! Too Thick! The neck/body joint is too clunky! Yada, yada. But, when it all came down to it I just couldn't get past all those missing things that make a Les Paul, a Les Paul.

Now, the LP Modern. Different story all together on that one. I got to play one of those and it really checked a lot of boxes for me that your run of the mill Standard or Traditional doesn't have. It's got the thinner neck heel on it, but a different design and it felt substantial enough to me that I could get past it not being a full neck joint. Full thickness body, and ebony board with real MOP inlays. Allllmost perfect for me, but they don't have fret edge bidning. Again, just a minor pet peeve of mine and contributes absolutely nothing to the playability of the guitar but if you're buying any gibson Les Paul that's not a Studio. It needs to have the fret edge binding, IMHO.

Had a 2011 Trad Pro II GC Limited Run I never should have sold. I like the 2017 Classics a lot too. I see a lot of 2019+ Classics flipped in the last two years

I've played many shape guitars and I honestly cant complain about being a LesPaul player.. I've got a gibson LP classic and Epi LP Custom pro (Pic below before swapping out the Duncan Blackouts to Passives).. both play great. On my Gibson I had put a String Butler and fixed the tuning issue.. also put Grover locking tuners but mainly for my laziness when stringing up... On my Epi I had replaced both the Nut to a buzz Feiten nut and put Sperzel locking tuners.. no tuning issue either.

PXL_20210930_204316048.PORTRAIT.jpg
IMG_20200409_174744(3).jpg

Last edited:
Back