Lowell George and Little Feat.

Telephant

It seems not many people know and/or talk about how brilliant this guy was. Ive heard Little Feat described as "the jam bands jam band," and to me that makes sense. Besides the Allman Brothers, I dont think anyone comes close to Little Feat's style of music. Im bringing this up because I was reading through that Dumble thread on The Gear Page and someone mentioned that Lowell used Dumble, which I never realized, but it makes perfect sense. The guy had a distinct style and sound.

Another thing about him that was amazing, were his production skills. Listen to their albums Dixie Chicken and Feats Dont Fail Me Now as an example. Every instrument is clear as day and yet so warm sounding. Not to mention the vocals sound fantastic.

It boggles my mind that not many people, especially my age, have not even heard of this band. Here is a cool interview I found through a search on Lowell and Dumble:

http://www.lynx.bc.ca/~jc/lowell.html

What kind of amplification have you been using ?

I'm using a custom-made Howard Dumble amp which is the best one that I've ever played through - it's like a Fender made right. If you want a screaming Twin sound but don't want it too loud, you can do it. That amp has an overdrive section, somewhat similar to that of the Music Man amp. With the reverb on a Fender you have only two choices: on or off. But this reverb has a send and return so you can vary the amount of each. the spring inside the Fender reverb unit is a joke, and when you send the same amount as the input of the guitar signal, you're asking for it - everyone sounds like the Ventures. The way around it is by having separate controls, which the Dumble amp has. It costs about the same as a new Marshall with four 10" speakers in the bayonet cabinet. I've always liked that Marshall cabinet sound because it really projects. And it still has some nice lows. the Dumble amp has a switch so you can activate the overdrive section during a solo without having to turn up the amp or guitar volume up. I like it a lot, it's the best amp I've ever played through.

And here are some amazing youtube videos of this great band:

Dixie Chicken with Bonnie Rait:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=OO3ZMdcL8Pc

Rock 'N Roll Doctor:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=fEOlTZGuLKM

Fat Man In The Bathtub:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=SkZsSydzQjM

Skin it Back (a personal faovrite of mine:)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Ns9jGWiF8d0

Damn, nobody eh?

Is the lack of responses because a lot of you guys have never heard of them or do you guys just not dig them? :confused:

willin is where its at...

i got introduced to them about 16 years ago, back when i was about 13, and loved it. dixie chicken, willin, etc... i never bought any of their albums, just had a copy of some stuff. i didn't care for country at the time, but loved little feat. i do remember just how great they sounded. nice separation between the instruments. damn, i am going to have to go pick up a CD or two. i had totally forgotten about them; glad you mentioned them. now that i think about it, the drive by truckers (excellent band) sort of remind me of a modern day little feat.

:thumbsup:

peaveyT60":27nrdmt9 said:

i got introduced to them about 16 years ago, back when i was about 13, and loved it. dixie chicken, willin, etc... i never bought any of their albums, just had a copy of some stuff. i didn't care for country at the time, but loved little feat. i do remember just how great they sounded. nice separation between the instruments. damn, i am going to have to go pick up a CD or two. i had totally forgotten about them; glad you mentioned them. now that i think about it, the drive by truckers (excellent band) sort of remind me of a modern day little feat.

The cool thing is most of its not even really country.. Its just southern funkdafied jam bandy type shit, only they dont go off for hours on the same riff and play with extreme class. :rock:

Telephant":2iwccr7x said:
peaveyT60":2iwccr7x said:

The cool thing is most of its not even really country.. Its just southern funkdafied jam bandy type shit, only they dont go off for hours on the same riff and play with extreme class. :rock:

yeah,
they aren't really country, but for me, at that time, it was a gigantic leaps towards.

good listening shit.

'bout time you started listening to some good music! :LOL: :LOL:

LG was the shit with a socket-wrench socket on his hand...

:rock:

Great band. I've seen them several times. The first time was in the early to mid 70's with Lowell. We even got to open for them in 2001. What a treat THAT was!

Little Feat and Lowell George are one of the most acclaimed bands and guitarists/songwriters in the world of rock music. I'm shocked that you just now found them, I thought everyone who played roots style music would be very familiar with them. Definitely some good stuff, and even the 1988 "Let It Roll" album after Lowell's death is a good record, though not as good as the older stuff. "Feats Don't Fail Me Now" is a great album.

Thread from the dead!!! :shocked:

photo.jpg

loved Little Feat when I was a young man - "Down on the Farm" and "Waiting for Columbus" were my favorite albums...now I have to go dig them out and listen. Dammit - gonna be up for a while

Back