Lower or Higher wattage speakers for the Modern Classic

glip22

Which do you use? I am currently running four 100 watt scumbacks with my MC. I am wondering if going to lower wattage speakers will give me a tighter distortion. I love the openess of the amp but sometimes prefer a little more compression for higher gain. I am wondering if changing the speakers will achieve this before I purchase and yet again lose on the resale. Also, will lower wattage speakers be more prone to cone cry?

I think the amp was developed w/ greenbacks in mind. Pre-rola's are great! I also have had luck w/ 65's and V30's.

Thanks Todd. I was thinking about greenbacks but I am worried about the cone cry. I seem to always find one or two notes in the higher registers that cry like a pig.

I'm using Weber 1225's 25 Watt, Scumback M75 65 Watt, & EVH Heritage Greenbacks 25 Watt with my MC. All sound really good and all are very different from each other.....

Superunknown":48df8cca said:
I'm using Weber 1225's 25 Watt, Scumback M75 65 Watt, & EVH Heritage Greenbacks 25 Watt with my MC. All sound really good and all are very different from each other.....
Which would you recommend for a little more of a modern high gain tone? How do the lower wattage speaker's breakup affect the tone? I have always used 100 watt speakers with any amp I have owned.
Thanks!

glip22":2700b843 said:
Superunknown":2700b843 said:
Which would you recommend for a little more of a modern high gain tone? How do the lower wattage speaker's breakup affect the tone? I have always used 100 watt speakers with any amp I have owned.
Thanks!

It terms of the most saturation/gain and the getting a modern type of tone, the "Stan Spec" Weber 1225's would be my choice, followed by the EVH speakers, then the Scumbacks. The Scumbacks are incredible and have a very sweet midrange, but to my ear have a little less saturation (probably because of the enahnced mids). The Webers and EVH speakers are a bit more scooped by comparison, but sound great as well. Sometimes I mix the Webers with the Scumbacks which is a really nice combo.

The wattage and speaker breakup are really nice with my lower wattage Greenbacks (Weber, EVH). No cone cry at all....

glip22":3gclffzj said:
Superunknown":3gclffzj said:
Thanks!

I have a quad of Scumback M75HPLHDC's-65 watt speakers (Celestion G12-65's). I use them with my Metal. They are similar to the greenbacks but with a beefed up low end and the top end seems a little bit smoother to me as well. If you were looking for a "little more of a modern tone" I would definitely check them out.

I have an M and H LHDC 100 watts. I had them mixed with an M&H regular dust covers and the small dust covers were crying under heavy gain. I'm considering all of the recommendations. Thanks for the input.

Tone Merchant":142qky1h said:
they are the 65 watters. Im going to get a quad of the 100 watters to test out and a/b

Thanks Rob, I think I am siding with the M's also. I did some a/b's with the H's and I prefered the M's. They just have a woodier tone to them. Only problem is I now need three more M- LHDC and Jim told me it's at least a month lead time now. I have an H-LHDC, and an H and M regular dust cap to unload now. I was considering lower wattage speakers when I started the post.

Ordered up a Vintage 12-65 and a Heriatage to try out. I also tried EVM 12L Classics. They way overpowered the Scumbacks in the cab. If the 65's don't cut it, I'll wait for the M's. and call it a day.

glip22":1turvo8i said:
I love the openess of the amp but sometimes prefer a little more compression for higher gain. I am wondering if changing the speakers will achieve this before I purchase and yet again lose on the resale.

I know what you mean and recommend hitting the amp with a clean boost or tube screamer for added compression. Wizards are very uncompressed amps !

thegame":2hboqhu0 said:
glip22":2hboqhu0 said:
I love the openess of the amp but sometimes prefer a little more compression for higher gain. I am wondering if changing the speakers will achieve this before I purchase and yet again lose on the resale.

I know what you mean and recommend hitting the amp with a clean boost or tube screamer for added compression. Wizards are very uncompressed amps !

I use a Bloody Murder OD with the gain at about 20%. It does work well and tightens the amp up. It seems some guys are running their MC's with the gain at 10 with the boost pulled. I prefer the OD in front and run the gain on 7 or so.
Thanks.

glip22":1qxxfnaj said:
thegame":1qxxfnaj said:
glip22":1qxxfnaj said:

I use a Bloody Murder OD with the gain at about 20%. It does work well and tightens the amp up. It seems some guys are running their MC's with the gain at 10 with the boost pulled. I prefer the OD in front and run the gain on 7 or so.
Thanks.

I run them with the gain at about 11 oclock no boost engaged, no boost in front, CRANKED. I really like the clarity I get from them.
Josh

joshsage":26cw0hr3 said:
glip22":26cw0hr3 said:
thegame":26cw0hr3 said:
glip22":26cw0hr3 said:

Thanks.

I run them with the gain at about 11 oclock no boost engaged, no boost in front, CRANKED. I really like the clarity I get from them.
Josh

How cranked? No wonder you are 1/2 deaf? Does the trim in the volume pot of the MC basically open full at about 1/2? My Cornford is like that too. I wonder if when I crank it higher I am already at the max of what my ears can handle, so I do not perceive much more volume the higher I go with the dial. :confused:

Back